Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heading to Guerrero Negro whale watching and BOLA 3/26 to 4/3
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 09:36 AM
Heading to Guerrero Negro whale watching and BOLA 3/26 to 4/3

Planning a trip south March 27th to April 3. Crossing at Tecate and heading to Ensenada wine country. Plan to camp somewhere in wine country. Then down past Ensenada to stay in El Rosario or Catavina depending on travel time. Then to Guerrero Negro for a couple days of whale watching. Then to BOLA for beach and hopefully some fishing. Up 5 to Puertecitos hot springs for a night and cross back at Mexicali. 4 vehicles, 3 families, 6 adults and 6 children from 5 to 14. It will be a mix of camping and hotels.

Questions - best camping in winery region? Should we make reservations? Is everything open including wineries? Maybe stay at El Valle RV park.

Hesitant to make reservations at El Rosario or Catavina as we don't know how far we will make it that day.

Recommendations for hotel in Guerrero Negro? We may make reservations before leaving. Leaning toward Hotel Los Caracoles. Hoping to book whale watching when we arrive. Best boats?

Recommendations for fishing boats in BOLA? Was planning on asking at Guillermo and staying there or Campo Archelon.

Thanks in advance. Its my 3rd trip into Baja.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 12:28 PM

Spring Break?! make reservations if you have to join the Crowd. I'd go before or after Easter but let us know how you survived!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 01:00 PM

Whale watching? Use our own Nomad whale expert: Shari Bondi of Whale Magic Tours www.whalemagictours.com Shari can also book your room in Guerrero Negro. :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by spikemd  
Planning a trip south March 27th to April 3. Crossing at Tecate and heading to Ensenada wine country. Plan to camp somewhere in wine country. Then down past Ensenada to stay in El Rosario or Catavina depending on travel time. Then to Guerrero Negro for a couple days of whale watching. Then to BOLA for beach and hopefully some fishing. Up 5 to Puertecitos hot springs for a night and cross back at Mexicali. 4 vehicles, 3 families, 6 adults and 6 children from 5 to 14. It will be a mix of camping and hotels.

Questions - best camping in winery region? Should we make reservations? Is everything open including wineries? Maybe stay at El Valle RV park.

Hesitant to make reservations at El Rosario or Catavina as we don't know how far we will make it that day.

Recommendations for hotel in Guerrero Negro? We may make reservations before leaving. Leaning toward Hotel Los Caracoles. Hoping to book whale watching when we arrive. Best boats?

Recommendations for fishing boats in BOLA? Was planning on asking at Guillermo and staying there or Campo Archelon.

Thanks in advance. Its my 3rd trip into Baja.

Recommendations...
Skip the hot springs (they are disappointing), spend another day at bola, whale watching or exploring around Catavina.
Go to San Ignacio instead of GN for whale watching. Good camping to be had at Kuyimita.
Call ahead for hotel reservations as soon as your schedule is set,... hotels fill up during spring break, whale season, Easter break, etc. you can’t count on vacancy if dropping in last minute.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 01:55 PM

I agree with goat, about Puertecitos...

The Puertecitos hot springs can only be enjoyed if the tide is in the right position, and you don't mind the sulfur (rotten egg) smell. They also charge you a hefty amount even to just take a photo vs. overnight (the same price, was 200 pesos per person, 4 years ago).

[Edited on 3-12-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2021 at 12:51 PM

I recommend staying at Terra Sal in G Negro and eating at malarrimo restaurant, down the street, on the right.

We are just 2 hours from Guerrero Negro and our village (La Bocana) is very fun if you want to get off the beaten path? The road is 100% paved all the way.

We boast a lagoon that you can spend 4 hours on a boat/catch and release tour for $80. We boast a restaurant open 365 days a year from 8 to 9 pm. plus a couple others that are smaller and great fun too. Miles of beaches for walking and Blanca and Les to entertain you LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2021 at 03:20 PM

I would have to agree with goat as well on the hot springs and I think I would go down 5 both ways. So slow with all of the towns on Hwy 1, 5 is much nicer drive.
I think we stayed and ate at Malarrimo in GN, unless I'm getting my towns mixed up? Food and rooms were good. San Ignacio has several good places to stay, the yurts and La Huerta but they will fill up quick. I've only watch whales out of San Ignacio but they will be amazing where ever you go.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 10:05 AM

March 27 is going to be very late for whale watching .most whales will have already left Scammons lagoon/ojo de liebre by then. They usually stop the tours by April 1st. Doubt there will be any Whales left in San Ignacio lagoon by then. We usually go early March.
Maybe Shari will chime in She has been running Whale tours for years and knows what's up .
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info. We got back from our trip and had a wonderful time. 4 trucks, 6 adults and 6 kids. Crossed at Tecate, went to Guadalupe Valley for the wine country. Most wineries require reservations with Covid so we only got to taste at one. Lunch took way to long and killed our afternoon. We stayed at El Valle RV park which had nice bathrooms and camping. Great place except for the dogs barking all night. Next day headed into Ensenada for fish tacos at El Fenix. Then did the tourist trap at La Bufadora mostly for the kids to see. Then kept going south to Catavina.

spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:09 AM

Stayed at the Hotel in Catavina as we rolled in late and were hungry and tired. Kept going south to Campo Esmeralda about 40 minutes north of GN. Stayed there for a night and kids played in the waves. They have rudimentary flush toilets and showers. Kids got to ride one of the horses on the beach. Next day did our whale tour with Malarrimo and saw a bunch of whales. Really cool experience.

20210327_165532_copy_756x1008.jpg - 306kB 20210328_111616_copy_756x1008.jpg - 230kB 20210330_072308_copy_756x1008.jpg - 140kB
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:12 AM

Some pics of whales. Needed to scale down pics a lot for posting.

20210330_135110_copy_756x1008.jpg - 182kB 20210330_122335_copy_756x1008.jpg - 196kB
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:15 AM

That looks great. We actually prefer being off the beaten path and camping. We are fully self sufficient and can go days without resupply. This trip was more civilized having the kids and wives along.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I recommend staying at Terra Sal in G Negro and eating at malarrimo restaurant, down the street, on the right.

We are just 2 hours from Guerrero Negro and our village (La Bocana) is very fun if you want to get off the beaten path? The road is 100% paved.

We boast a lagoon that you can spend 4 hours on a boat/catch and release tour for $80. We boast a restaurant open 365 days a year from 8 to 9 pm. plus a couple others that are smaller and great fun too. Miles of beaches for walking and Blanca and Les to entertain you LOL
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:15 AM

Thank you for sharing! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:20 AM

We then headed to BOLA. Wind picked up for a rough night in the tents but our roof top tents can handle a lot. We camped at Campo Archelon which had a wonderful cafe, Siete Filos. Excellent food and coffee. I took my son son wife fishing for the first time on a boat. We caught some yellowtail and cod and took it to a new restaurant in town, Las Hamacas, and had it sashimi style and the cod in tacos. Best fish I've ever had!

20210401_073315_copy_756x1008_1.jpg - 191kB 20210401_113758_copy_756x1008_1.jpg - 230kB 20210401_155017_copy_756x1008_1.jpg - 120kB
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:25 AM

Then rolled north to Bay of Gonzaga. It was a busy weekend being close to Easter so we had a tough time finding open free spots. We had a sportsmobile with us so we were limited where we could go in the sand. We eventually found a spot at El Sacrificio campground and tucked away from the other campers. Kids went paddleboarding and enjoyed the beach. My buddy got stung by a scorpion in the morning, lol... My family then drove 16 hours home. One of the other families went to an orphanage in Tecate to help build a new play structure and the other family stayed near San Felipe for a few days. Great trip. Next time, we want to stay off pavement as much as possible.

20210402_184955_copy_1008x756.jpg - 181kB 20210403_063119_copy_1008x756_1.jpg - 231kB
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 09:29 AM

Nice pics, cool rigs, great report!! Thanks!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 02:40 PM

Sweet set up and report..
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 03:14 PM

Nice trip report! I saw you in Bahia de LA. Almost stopped to tell you your rig is cool.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 03:17 PM

Thanks for sharing, we're heading out in 10 days for 6 weeks...I'm so ready.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.