Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Looking for Gonzaga bay rental
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 12:37 PM

No clams or shrimp. Some fish mostly mullet and tilapia.

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2021 at 11:02 AM

Is there anything in La Poma? I've only ridden in there one time to see an old timer that was building a boat, so I don't know much about the area?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2021 at 12:52 PM
From my Trip #3 Report...

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Is there anything in La Poma? I've only ridden in there one time to see an old timer that was building a boat, so I don't know much about the area?

La Poma in March 2017:

Tarps are added to the frames when campers arrive.

Good food!

Halibut dinner... almost more than I could eat!

[Edited on 3-16-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2021 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
La Poma in March 2017:

Any idea what "poma" means in Baja? I suspect it's a fruit, but have never heard the word. :?:

pumice stone like the soil at papa's, volcanic I guess?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 04:52 AM
On the map!

La Poma in March 2017:

Any idea what "poma" means in Baja? I suspect it's a fruit, but have never heard the word. :?:

It is the name of the little island on the back side of Isla San Luis... directly east of Campo La Poma...

Isla la Poma.jpg - 160kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 09:05 AM

It is the name of the little island on the back side of Isla San Luis... directly east of Campo La Poma...

Mmmm.... I think WillardGuy may have hit it: Isla Costanzó o Isla Poma o Isla Pómez

Anyone know if that island is particularly associated with pumice?
The island is made out of pumice rock hence the name
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 12:52 PM

The New and Improved La Poma can be seen on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/campo.lapoma

[Edited on 3-17-2021 by David K]

La Poma.jpg - 37kB

[Edited on 3-17-2021 by David K]

La Poma 2.jpg - 54kBLa Poma 3.jpg - 56kB

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
The island is made out of pumice rock hence the name

Cool!

I buy it (though I doubt a Spaniard would understand that meaning of the word). ;)

Thanks.

:lol: no doubt....the urban dictionary says.....Lencho
a male that is/acting gay, queer, or homo.
Stop being a lencho.

That guy is dressed like a lencho.

Tyson is the biggest lencho of them all.

like Jerry and George said "not that's there's anything wrong with that"
my point is don't take the spanish language too seriously.....right?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 06:23 AM

Looks like there is also at least one house there that they rent. The tents look interesting.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 07:44 AM

Hi Mick,
I like maps as they help me visualize locations... I have all the potential spots on this map... Any questions, let me know (or see my Trip Report #1 in 2017):

I've been to Las Palmitas and hiked the arroyo. Do you know if camping is allowed at Las Palmitas? Nice place with the spring water and all. Looked like someone was living there at one time.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 08:04 AM

Last report is the spring has been surrounded by a fence to protect the water quality from animals. This was what I saw in 1999 and when I returned a few years later. A pipe brought the water out to a trough for the cattle.

This is on the El Camino Real so it served the European travelers as far back as 1767... and of course, the Natives for thousands of years before! Mission Santa María was moved from Calamajué on May 26, 1767. The Jesuits went up the canyon, as did Franciscan Junípero Serra. The canyon route was so dangerous that Serra ordered a better route be made. That is the one shown on my map, which stays out of the canyon, up on the north rim.

[Edited on 3-18-2021 by David K]

steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 09:33 AM

It is Sunday and back at EDR, from Rancho Grande, Alphonsinas, Santa Maria wash trip. Its crazy everywhere around Gonzaga. All the palapas and trailers, hotel rooms are booked. Good thing we have plenty of friends in this area. Stayed on the beach next to Rancho Grande and all night long, loud music, race cars and drunks. Mexicali moved to Gonzaga. Waiting a few weeks then go back. Trip report to the Oasis later.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 04:55 PM

Found a house. I agree with rancho grande. Was there a few weeks ago and it was packed can’t understand why people have to blare their music until 3 am. I guess I’m just getting old.

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 06:01 PM
The miracle of siesta!

You pull into a campground, or beach some where in the afternoon, and things are usually pretty quiet, even if crowded.

Honoring the tradition of siesta, many folks have their main meal of the day in the afternoon, and then they lay back an nap through the heat of the day.

By the time my day is done and I am looking forward to sleeping, they are just getting started! I have no explanation for why the volume has to be so loud though.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.