Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Going North through Mexicali to Calexico
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 03:34 PM

For sure you can leave Mx5 sooner (tempting) and head west, but I have not done that, so no directions. If you do that way out west use the right lane all the way to the squeeze to two lines near the cloverleafs.

My way use Hw5 to the place where the sentri line begins pass that line to the left and follow the orange signs that say "to Calexico". You will be driving west paralleling the border fence and one or two streets south of the road next to the new fence. The queue is visible from the westbound street. Go to the entry line if you see no queue or just one line.
I found there was only one line way out west. When we got to the split into two lines I was surprised because the right lane was pretty much empty until the squeeze into two lines. Then the drill would be wait for someone to take the left line and take his place in the right line. Turns out that is what the locals were doing, and we did not know that.

I have to believe it is so bad it is bound to be different. Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 03:42 PM

So, Paul, in a nutshell, follow Mex5 to orange signs pointing to Calexico and stay in the right lane. Correct?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 03:44 PM

Right lane heading east along the fence.
Go there as soon as you dare.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 03:46 PM

Got it! (I hope...) I'll turn on my GPS and record it. We're not headed that way till mid-April, so we'll see what changes creep in.
Thanks for the advice!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Did I say west going N is not for me again. I will get up early and head to the east.

x2. IMO, absolutely the best crossing going N.

At the crossing, told the agent about the business I had done in Todos, he started laughing, we joked about the weather, and me heading to frigid Colorado, and it was singularly the best experience I've ever had. And the route (Morin) off 5 stays clear of town kinda. And it's super easy. Agradable!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 08:21 PM

More info is great. Thanks!
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 09:21 AM

I do not know if this will be helpful or not, but I crossed on 3/25 at West.

Just to orient myself, I followed all the usual signs to Calexico. This led me to the old street right on the border fence, where you proceed until construction makes you go left. You then go down several blocks, where a desviacion sign directs you to the right, You are now in the first blocks just across the border. One block later, you are directed to Calexico via Pontinentes with a left turn. I proceeded following this to where the sign directed you to turn right.
Then it became confusing. One sign directed you to turn right, while other signs directed you to continue straight. I tossed a coin and went right. Within one block I was in line. And I ended up in the general line, not Sentri. I have no idea how one would acess the Sentri line as there was zero signage. Could be continuing straight would have got you there, but I do not know.
I did notice there were maybe two (?) openings between Sentri and general which MAY be there as an escape hatch because so many have unknowingly entered Senri with no idea they were doing so.
I was glad I did not end up there at night, it would have been difficult.
How long this will last, quien sabe. So stay tuned.
Google maps will not help you find the general crossing at this point.

[Edited on 3-27-2021 by azucena]
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 11:58 AM

Good to know! Thanks!!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 04:05 PM

Crossed east 3/26. Arrived at end on the standard line at 5:45AM. Thru border at 6:24.
Line was long because the Queue was empty. The cop at that main road had the road closed for traffic heading N.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 04:48 PM

The line is around 90 minutes right now!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 05:21 PM

The Mexicali police are shaking down people who cut into the line too!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 05:30 PM

I think I'll replan my trip to use the East crossing. Nothing has changed there, correct?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Seems like the border xing street arrangements change every now and then, creating perpetual confusion and consternation...
Too bad there are all these map-heads on baja forums/FB pages, and none of them post/pin current and updated border maps (and remove the obsolete maps)...
Need some retirees with gps and adobe illustrator to take up cartography hobby...

[Edited on 3-24-2021 by mtgoat666]

Naw, it's much simpler than that.

Just need to record a track on a GPS app, and post a pic of the satellite image with track overlay, and actual track in kmz. This is a 30 second exercise.

I don’t want a Kmz file when I travel. For border xing, I just want a pdf or paper print, to glance at once for directions.
Why would I spend time downloading and flocking around with a Kmz file when a glance at a map on takes only a few seconds to see a route?

The Baja travel sites are full of obsolete border xing maps, I am just looking for a source that posts updated maps, and removes obsolete/old maps.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 09:20 AM

One more time. Hope it does not confuse even more?
West Calexico crossing going north

Here are the best instructions I can create.

Pretty dynamic for the Mx side at the west crossing.

1)Look at maps.me or google maps and see the standard entrance on heading east (next to the border fence) to the border cloverleaf on Avenedia Colon.

2) Look at Calzada de los Presidentes and see the right lane (at the Y) entering the cloverleaf underpass which is the Sentri entrance.
If you stay on Hwy 5 you will find the orange "To Calexico " detour signs to get you over to Presidentes. Probably easier to take a left off 5 and get to Presidentes from Hwy 5 before you get to far north otherwise a long line for Sentri will require you to go back to find the end of the line?

3) For standard - When on Presidentes driving toward the Sentri you will find an orange "To Calexico ". This sign takes you LEFT over the cloverleaf and heads you west on residential roads paralleling Colon. Then take a right to get to Colon.
Sure you can get to Colon other ways – good luck.

Make a Screen print a now you have a paper map. Sketchy but functional.

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 10:40 AM

That removes some of the mud, but does one still wind up going east to find a street north to Colon and then west to the border? That seems similar to last year, except the queue forms on the west, as you say.

Hmmm. Do you recommend using Camelias to get to Calzada de los Presidentes? Has anyone tried this recently?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.