BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone been to Ecuador?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2021 at 06:51 PM
Anyone been to Ecuador?

Did you like it? Where did you go?

Thinking about going down there in July and doing a self-guided tour on enduros with my two boys. Anyone ever done something similar in another country?

This looks bad a## to me.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 07:28 AM

We have never been but one day I hope to. Would you do Galapagos too?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 08:17 AM

Yes, many times.

For a small country Ecuador has much to offer. Too much to describe here, but with Beaches, Highlands, the Andes, and Amazonia, etc...The capital, Quito is a gem, Indigenous villages and towns along the cordillera are numerous.
Apart from the cuy, (ginea pig), and the jungle fare including juanta, (giant rodents), and assorted reptiles, AND what is offered in indigenous mercados of the highlands, the food is generally unremarkable.
Ecuador is culturally rich with multiple dialects spoken depending on region. Other than Guatemala, to me it has that colorful, rich indigenous feel. It is easy to navigate in general, and a great entry point to South America. Mitad del Mundo is a must, textiles of Otavalo, Puno and Coca, gateways to Amazonia, (and points deeper into the Amazon by canoe), as well as a visit to the active volcanos and Ande peaks. One can spend months just exploring the highland villages, often reminiscent of the Alps.

I have traveled extensively in South America overland from Colombia to Argentina over many years. Never found a need for reservations anywhere, including at regional festivals. Spontaneity is key to great experiences, making local friends, and immersing in the culture. I would avoid anything with a set plan or itinerary.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Yes, many times.

For a small country Ecuador has much to offer. Too much to describe here, but with Beaches, Highlands, the Andes, and Amazonia, etc...The capital, Quito is a gem, Indigenous villages and towns along the cordillera are numerous.
Apart from the cuy, (ginea pig), and the jungle fare including juanta, (giant rodents), and assorted reptiles, AND what is offered in indigenous mercados of the highlands, the food is generally unremarkable.
Ecuador is culturally rich with multiple dialects spoken depending on region. Other than Guatemala, to me it has that colorful, rich indigenous feel. It is easy to navigate in general, and a great entry point to South America. Mitad del Mundo is a must, textiles of Otavalo, Puno and Coca, gateways to Amazonia, (and points deeper into the Amazon by canoe), as well as a visit to the active volcanos and Ande peaks. One can spend months just exploring the highland villages, often reminiscent of the Alps.

I have traveled extensively in South America overland from Colombia to Argentina over many years. Never found a need for reservations anywhere, including at regional festivals. Spontaneity is key to great experiences, making local friends, and immersing in the culture. I would avoid anything with a set plan or itinerary.

i hung out there quite a bit in the 70s. i agree with all of the above. the indigenous culture is a treasure
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 08:41 AM

Loved everything about ecuador except the landing in Quito. It took four tries with one approach we actually touched down but still had to go around again. Often i sleep through landings not there !
Galapagos islands were amazing. Took my then 12 year old grandson.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 08:45 AM

Top of the list place to visit
Quito is great, lots to see and do
The equator parks are amazing, especially the one in the city
Lots of demonstrations of the power of the equatorial forces

We drove north to Cotavalo, great area
spent a week at the Hacienda Pinaqui (or something like that)
Lots to see and do around that area

If I go back I will take the Amazon excursion, looks like an amazing way to spend a few days in the equatorial jungle.

Galapagos???? Very very very disappointing.
If you are a Baja traveler you have pretty much seen it all, at your own pace and in your own way.
But, if you like lizards, sea lions and lots of blue foot boobies, well then trek on over
It is expensive, they really confine your outings, never again.
The giant turtles you see in all the promo stuff are not even indigenous. In fact they are confined to a small grubby concrete area and hoping they all die off soon so they no longer are a local nuisance.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 09:40 AM

Isla De La Plata, "Poor Man's Galapagos". Well worth the short boat ride from Puerto Lopez on the Central Coast to this protected area with some of the same creatures found in the Galapagos, (not the tortoises or lizards though).

Unfortunately The Galapagos have been over-loved, and are now heavily regulated in an effort to preserve their uniqueness. Winging it on a sailboat, as was the only way to visit not long ago, is even difficult without an authorized charter.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 10:57 AM
When did you fly in?

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
Loved everything about ecuador except the landing in Quito. It took four tries with one approach we actually touched down but still had to go around again. Often i sleep through landings not there !
Galapagos islands were amazing. Took my then 12 year old grandson.

First couple times there, maybe 20 years ago the "airport" was in the middle of town, next to an active soccer pitch
Now they have a very modern airport maybe 20 miles north of town.
Remember, the altitude there is way high, 9,350 feet
That is not friendly skies for any aircraft, that thin air is hard to give much support and the oxy mix is also a problem.

I remember all the trips into South Tahoe in my Cutlass, man the rollout was long and longer....
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 12:10 PM

We had an exciting landing experience flying into Quito in July 2019. Wind shear and a go around twice then had to reroute to Guayaquil for refueling so we could try again. Third time was a charm.

If you go to Ecuador and don't take the time to see the Galapagos you will be doing yourself a disservice. Priceless IMHO. Unless you don't like new experiences and seeing incredibly unique flora and fauna on land and sea. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-3-2021 at 12:37 AM
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-3-2021 at 11:31 AM

I rode my motorcycle down to South America about 10 years ago. Most of it on the Panamerican. Ecuador was nice. Quito felt a bit polluted. I preferred Colombia. I’m sure you’ll have a blast on bikes.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-4-2021 at 08:14 PM

I have been once to Peru - Lima to the south, Tarapoto and Trujillo to the north. I have been 7 times to Colombia - Bogota to the south a few times and Santa Marta to the north. I would suggest a local guide if possible.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2021 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Yes, many times.

I thought Puno was in Peru. Is there a Puno in Ecuador as well?
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2021 at 08:21 PM

Puyo, Pastaza Province

Disculpe Joe
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 08:38 AM

the village of "baños " at the foot of a volcano and on the rio coco is like no place i know. streams of hot water pass through the village . indigenous people believe the hot springs cure most illnesses.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I rode my motorcycle down to South America about 10 years ago. Most of it on the Panamerican. Ecuador was nice. Quito felt a bit polluted. I preferred Colombia. I’m sure you’ll have a blast on bikes.

What method did you use to get over The Gap?

I am aware of current options .....have watched documentaries about vehicle crossings in jungle....one was by General Motors using Corvairs and another with pickup 4x4's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgRH9m2fOI

A friend from Seattle, Helge Pederson, did it with his moto some years ago....crazy dedication:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcPdJTviVA&t=760s

[Edited on 4-14-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

What method did you use to get over The Gap?

I am aware of current options .....have watched documentaries about vehicle crossings in jungle....one was by General Motors using Corvairs and another with pickup 4x4's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgRH9m2fOI

A friend from Seattle, Helge Pederson, did it with his moto some years ago....crazy dedication:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcPdJTviVA&t=760s

well heck..i never knew the corvair was such a beast

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 08:05 PM

Jeepers do The Gap in the 70's ....interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42ZJZa31yQ

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.