Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: So what's the deal?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 04:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Hwy 16? I've done it lots on the motorbikes.

You ever gone the "back way" east from Alamos? I´ve heard there's a route from there to Creel and it's always intrigued me but I was told by some Alamos locals that it's narco territory.

I did Creel to Alamos via Batopilas,Urique,Bahuichivo and Chinipas last April. 3 weeks in the barrancas. It was mostly offroad 2 track.

It's definitely narcolandia. They'll let you know where you can go. We only got denied one route we wanted to do. They were mostly friendly.

We did that route several times. Yup definitely narco country.
We had zero problems. It's fairly obvious that we were there to ride...not for any other reason. I would not go in September/October....that seems to be their busy season. We arrived in. Creel a day after a big down town shootout. [14 dead]
About 10 years ago. There was brass still all over the ground.
But normally most towns feel quite secure. It is a rapidly changing area
With new roads being developed by mining interests. They can't wait to displace the indigenous population and get the mineral wealth.
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 11:13 AM

The only part of Chihuahua I've been to is the area around Ojinaga; and south to Jimenez and the Durango border. I've also traveled between Torreon and Mazatlan. Durango so far is my favorite state in Mexico of the six I have been to.

As for the masks and ongoing restrictions (if any), I'm looking for info not flame wars. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get there, but I'm just looking for info. I haven't been to Mexico since 2017 and I've never been to the Peninsula or Sonora.

Like here's some good questions. What type of mask qualifies as a mask in Mexico? Are gaiters allowed in most places that require them? Do you have to wear a mask at checkpoints? What about outside at gas stations? Are US citizens still exempt from testing to come back into US at land borders?

[Edited on 3-14-2022 by US 41]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 12:37 PM

Lots of Mexicans are wearing gators. Especially the fishing guys. No requirement to test when driving across, only when flying.

Most places want you to wear it inside. Outside too, which is ridiculous, but much more lax outside.

This will hopefully be relaxed soon as conditions improve.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by US 41  
The only part of Chihuahua I've been to is the area around Ojinaga; and south to Jimenez and the Durango border. I've also traveled between Torreon and Mazatlan. Durango so far is my favorite state in Mexico of the six I have been to.

As for the masks and ongoing restrictions (if any), I'm looking for info not flame wars. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get there, but I'm just looking for info. I haven't been to Mexico since 2017 and I've never been to the Peninsula or Sonora.

Like here's some good questions. What type of mask qualifies as a mask in Mexico? Are gaiters allowed in most places that require them? Do you have to wear a mask at checkpoints? What about outside at gas stations? Are US citizens still exempt from testing to come back into US at land borders?

Gators are fine. Out of courtesy I wear a mask at checkpoints and gas stations if they are wearing theirs. No test required crossing by land.
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2022 at 06:00 PM

I appreciate the responses.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.