BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paloma
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 11:52 AM
La Paloma

Something about being home in Los Barriles that gives me the opportunity to fullfill an all important phase of life; that being to just sit and rock yet another sleeping baby. This little angel has a heart shaped Cota mouth and chin, and with what appears to be a little of Jimmy Smith in her brow.

My granddaughter is the tinniest soul. We call her Paloma Elizabeth Cota Lask. She was born in San Jose del Cabo on March 5th, around 5 p.m., she weighed in at just under 5 lbs., and was 5 weeks early; so we call her our lucky 5 baby.

As I sit and rock her I reflect again on both of her grandfather?s relationships with each other; My dad was the dispatcher and Paloma's Pop?s Papa was a boat captain. Both men worked for Palmas de Cortez.

When Paloma?s Pop, Javier, was just a baby; Dad used to love to tell the story of how he would step in for a cup of coffee at the Cota?s and wind up with a baby Javier on his lap. Rocking away the time with a sleeping baby in his arms was Dad's idea of about the best way anyone could wile away an afternoon.

So now, the history is well established between these two Men, they are gone on, but their roots continue to feed our community, and a new generation sprout their genes together, who would have ever thought?

Now, I sit and rock this sleeping Paloma, looking into her eyes, seeing in them her gene pool and both her grandfathers reflecting back at me. I think of Dad and his love for rocking a sleeping baby, and yep, I must admit that I agree with the ol Man; I can?t presently think of anything more important to do, true quiet quality time just soothing the sleeping baby.

[Edited on 3-31-2005 by Eli]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 06:46 PM

Thanks Eli... lovely story...
Is this the same Cota family that owns Rancho La Mision, near Santiago? Perhaps send me an email... Did you get my email yesterday regarding Capt. Mike?
Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 08:30 PM

Thank you Sara for that warm and fuzzy story! I was wondering where you have been since your last post,as yours are the first I look for. Aren't our little ones just a touch of Heaven? Mija and family have moved south just recently, and I will be headed down in May.I am going to U2U you with my email, as I lost yours in the move/computer change.I am detirmined to meet and hug you! Abrazos, Sally:yes:

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by Sallysouth]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 08:37 PM
I found it!

Got your email addy in my archives! Leaving for Ensenada in La Manana, will E you when I get back. Sally:bounce:
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 09:30 AM
what a nice thought...

enjoyed the sentiment Eli, and the memories of those new young ones. My youngest is almost 2, so can still sneak in a rock and snuggle now and then! Actually she still would rather fall asleep in my arms then get put to bed! The 4 year old will also delight in a little rock and a challenge to, "carry me like a baby"!

It is interesting to see the generations coming through, they say that my girls have their great-grandfather's big English nose, but I also see their tata from La Paz in their beady little eyes. My two girls look so similar that you'd think it was one baby in their early photos. Only difference is that the younger one has some beautiful blue eyes, guess they came about from the German great-great-grandfather who settled at Rancho Vinorama near La Paz. Saludos and glad to hear that all is well with the growing family! Heather
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 03:26 PM

Thank You Sally & Heather for your support of simple pleasures, I am sure you know exactly what I mean, rocking sleeping babies will always top my list of things I most Love to do.

No David, if Javier is related to that branch of the Cota's that have that ranch and produced our current governer, it is very distant relation to say the least. And yes, am connected with Mike via e-mail.

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 08:39 PM

Eli - How blessed you are to be sitting and holding little Paloma. Like Sally's ninieta and Heather's children, they're all star children every one. Sent from heaven, babies remind me that we all arrived here as perfect beings with the breath of the goddess still fresh upon us. Lucky lucky you.

I'll be giving you a call in about 10 days... really looking forward to hugging in person! Anything I can bring you from Berkeley?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.