Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recover Boards or Tracks
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 12:19 PM

It always seems to be beer thirty for the Aussies.

The cheaper versions if doubled up would provide enough strength and cost less than a single pair of the Maxtracks. That they stack together is another plus.

Whether any of these would hold up on a 8,000 lb. Sprinter van is another question entirely.

Years ago, I carried ******* Matting sp? with my Ford 4wd van. It came in 10' long pieces that I cut into four 5' lengths.

It was carried on my full roof rack and I only needed it one time when I sank to the axle north of Todos Santos. Getting stuck in the first place was my fault for turning to sharp when I should not have. Duh.

After a bit of digging and sliding four of these 5' sections under each wheel, I drove right out of that pit without a problem. Yes, I did lower the tire pressures to begin with.

They were heavy and rusty. Aluminum would have been a better choice, but there was not a choice at the time that I found.

These same traction pieces also saved me on the East Cape one time in my 2 door 4wd Montero when I dropped down into a large depression in the sand and I could not drive out of no matter how low my tire pressures were. The sand was particularly soft and of a different grain make-up that had me wondering if Im would get out at all. I ultimately did with the help of these rusty old military traction pieces.

These modern plastic stackables are an improvement by far. They could be a bit longer though, or at least have that option.

If I ever needed them again, it would be the plastic versions. I had often thought of powder-coating these old steel metal pieces. The weight though remains a negative, unless one's vehicle can handle everything we bring along.

Peace, love, and fish tacos needs to be all of our mantra, and sadly it appears to have disappeared with certain posters expressing their often all too convenient biased opinions on just about everything relating to red vs. blue.

The off topic thread should be employed much more, for those who don't come here every day for others myopic viewpoint. We have enough of that exposure everywhere else in our lives.

We all love Baja and its people for what they freely give us when we go down. This appeal is worth just that and nothing more. Trolls are gonna troll. That is what they do.

Taking medical advice from anyone on this forum is a fools errand. I wish all of them would be sequestered in an off topic section so we could once again enjoy Baja Nomad for what it was and could be again.

Politics has no validity, or it should not have, on this forum. Managing this site is hard enough, and Doug is to be respected for not giving up with all the crap that shows up here on occasion.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't come here for political reasons, ever. I wish others would do the same. It was not always this way a decade ago. Peace, love, and fish tacos. May it once again prevail here.

sredish

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 02:42 PM

Actiontrax with the bolts built into it. Contact them, KC is the owner and super cool.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 05:45 PM

The problem with filling holes and putting stuff under the tires is getting the damn rig out of the hole in the first place!

This is the easiest way I've found after 50 years of jacking and shoveling! The bag jack works with exhaust or the air pump. I have both!

I carry a few 6 gal water cans too!

6532AD3C-1405-4AB2-81E4-FD7767ED30B9.jpeg - 82kB

[Edited on 5-3-2021 by RFClark]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The problem with filling holes and putting stuff under the tires is getting the damn rig out of the hole in the first place!

This is the easiest way I've found after 50 years of jacking and shoveling! The bag jack works with exhaust or the air pump. I have both!

I get stuck maybe once every five years. That beach ball looks like an expensive toy that would never get used, looks like it would be most useful for a fool that gets stuck every week.

BTW, easy to get a jack under a vehicle stuck in sand: dig small hole, place board and bottle jack (or floor type jack), and jack off! :lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I get stuck maybe once every five years. That beach ball looks like an expensive toy that would never get used, looks like it would be most useful for a fool that gets stuck every week.

BTW, easy to get a jack under a vehicle stuck in sand: dig small hole, place board and bottle jack (or floor type jack), and jack off! :lol::lol::lol:

take it from a true wanker!:rolleyes:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 08:11 PM

surfhat, I couldn't agree more about taking the politics else where!

I also wish they would make a set of tracks that were hinged for double the length. I've used all matter of stuff, sleeping bags, brush, scrap wood and floor matts. I will add some kind of tracks to the new Baja rig when I build it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 08:34 PM

An off-road floor jack is better if you ask me. Ours mounts to the top of the rack on the truck.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 08:59 PM

Can’t really how often I’ll use it to get unstuck as our rig is really light and has a winch. It’s usually someone else who we’re helping out of a hole! I have a farm jack too. I use it mostly on the ‘64 Dodge 4X4 to change tires.

The bag seemed useful for moving heavy things like boulders or trees. It’s like a fire extinguisher. How often do most people use those? But it’s a b-tch to need one and not have one!

It’s like a sand anchor how often do you use one but if you need one and don't have one!

Twotall70

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 03:29 PM

Cheap Chines winch.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 03:36 PM

I say, why not just not get stuck in the first place, or even if you do, let out more air!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 04:30 PM

Anyone mention a tow rope or strap in all this? Maybe a winch...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  

What do you attach it to in the sand if you don't have another vehicle? Even a handy rock or tree is probably a faint hope. I guess a sand anchor like JZ says? Or, bury a spare tire? That's sounds fun on a hot desert day.

It seems DK's advice is most prudent. Luckily, there wasn't any sand on my latest foray in Wyoming. But, a couple muddy spots were enlightening.

John

[Edited on 7-30-2021 by John Harper]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 06:44 PM

Far better solution.....:light::biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  

I travel with a snatch strap and an offroad floor jack. It's a Pro Eagle like this one.

[Edited on 7-31-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 08:23 PM

Ya, but Lencho settled for just the snatch .... more functional.:light:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Hmmm.....This from a guy that was so offended when I made a similar, flippant remark about "Wonder Hussey"! :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 10:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Hmmm.....This from a guy that was so offended when I made a similar, flippant remark about "Wonder Hussey"! :?:

Yep....knowing it would entertain some Nomads..... seems some Nomads appreciate the adolescent perspective .... if you can do it, it must be okay ;)

[Edited on 7-31-2021 by motoged]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 05:24 AM

I carry a recovery strap and bolted a scissors jack to a 2x10 for stability. Haven't had to use either, luckily. But, my charger/starter and portable compressor both saw use in Wyoming.

John
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 07:41 AM

4 strips of old carpet that are a foot and a half wide and the length of your bed work great. Leave them laying in your bed and if you need them you got them. If you have an 8 foot bed then you have 4 8 foot long recovery boards with you at all times, gives you a long runway to get a little speed. Anything that is rather short might work at first but most of the time as soon as you get off of them you’re stuck again.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
... Anything that is rather short might work at first but most of the time as soon as you get off of them you’re stuck again.

EXACTLY! So make your vehicle drivable in sand.. by letting half the air pressure out of the tires! This is also why you need a good air pump to refill them. This is also great with a tire plug kit so you can fix flats, easily!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.