Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: This week in La Bocana dog story added 5/28
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 03:44 PM
This week in La Bocana dog story added 5/28

Here are some photos that summarize the week here in southern Baja!

Danna and her student last week

Here is Bertha with her June and July funds towards the animal rescue foundation she wants to start.

This is Alberto and sister Elizabeth with their tutoring payment for the past week. Can you say HAPPY ?

Here are Sannia and the kids she was tutoring today! Her parents were gone so she used the kitchen table, usually they use the table behind the palapa!

[Edited on 5-28-2021 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 06:41 PM

Looking good, I will be keeping an eye on the animal rescue, maybe I can send some help her way?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 08:11 PM

No date set yet but sometime near end of July.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 12:07 PM

We are leaving for Europe for 3 1/2 months and in preparation, I gave each of Tidiana's kids a notebook and a pencil, since Tidiana is also learning how to read, I gave her a notebook and pencil too!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 12:29 PM

It isn't all roses around here! A couple weeks ago, my Mom and I took a walk and heard some whimping under a tree.

When I took a closer look, I saw a puppy stuck inside a fishing net. Bending over it, there was no way to get it out. I knocked on a door but no one was home. I knocked on the neighbor's door and 2 kids showed up saying the mom was still sleeping. I asked for scissors but they could not find any, so I saw a knife and set to cutting the net.

Finally got the dog loose, it was so quiet the whole time. I had no way of knowing if it had been stuck 5 min, 5 hours or ??? I confess to not even thinking twice. I cut cut cut.

Here is a close up.

After cutting doggie free, he scampered away! One of the kids said it was his dog and he lived across the street.

One happy dog!

Of course, I create a facebook post alerting families to be extra careful with their nets and lo and behold, a neighbor answers that i was wrong to enter onto someone's property and that I ruined the guy's net.

I write that I am happy to either fix the net or replace it. She says the owner, Pepe, is on his way over.

I enter the house and tell Les that we might get kicked out of La Bocana hahahaha I ready the garden table in the front. And sit. And wait. 15 min go by. 30 min go by. no one shows.

So, I call the delegado and explain what happened, including the photos above. I got your back he says.

A couple days later, after asking around for the cost of fixing or getting a new net (fix is $500 pesos and new one $1000 pesos), and not finding the owner at home ever (I heard his wife is about to be operated on in La Paz), I called a rep for the cooperative, explain what happened and ask him to contact Pepe to find out what he wants me to do.

Well, I am happy to inform that he wanted $500 to fix the net and that is the happy ending!

I dropped off $500 pesos this morning to the representative and whew!!

Good ending but I sure could have done without the STRESS!!!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 02:20 PM

And ... another good moment to offset the previous stress: we went to san ignacio to get my insulin and ran into the Marnells!! Here is a photo of when they were in La Bocana, not too long ago.

Come visit La Bocana

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 05:59 AM

Thank you for the wonderful updates and pictures, Blanca. The tutoring work is so important. Our provincial government just announced major funding to help young students through the effects of the pandemic on learning. You have been way ahead of the curve and our system could learn a lot from your initiatives.

I hope you and Les have a safe and enjoyable trip and I look forward to your trip reports.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 08:23 AM

Good work Blanca! Baja dogs are great and definitely need all the help they can get.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 08:48 AM

So, catch and release is not just for fish?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2021 at 05:37 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

To be honest, I cannot imagine the ramifications this pandemic will have for years to come on all our kids. Parents really had it hard too.

More Bertha info: Her birthday is coming up on the 27th of next month. I left some gifts for her with the neighbor - Three really beautiful fish napkin holders that can one day go in her restaurant and there is an envelope with cash for her to use either for the oven or for pet products or for pots pans etc. for the kitchen. She is going to be over the Moon with happiness.

We did good folks! My goal was just to give her the impetus to start her dream and she is ON it. If anyone is coming south and wants to bring flea medication, doggie beds, deworming meds - great!! But no more cash for now, gracias muchas gracias.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.