Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A bird watching adventure in Nevada County CA
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 08:19 PM
A bird watching adventure in Nevada County CA

Ok, a trip report is kind of a stretch, because my dog and I were just checking out a pond on the lower part of my property when we flushed some wild turkeys. Nothing to do with Baja, but it was a memorable encounter, so I thought I would share it here.

Turkeys are not native to California, but they were introduced quite a few years ago, and just last year, a population has moved into my part of the county.

A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a couple of adult turkeys, with a flock of about a dozen toddlers in the same location. One of the adults did the "wounded bird" act to draw us away from the youngsters while they ran and hid in the bushes. It didn't fool us, but we left them alone and gave them space.

I went back to the same spot yesterday, and aside from some noisy blue jays, it was a serene place to be. Well the kids can fly now, but the flock stayed hidden until my dog was right on top of them! That's when it got weird!

Most of the flock hooked to the right around the pond, but a couple of the youngsters went left. I did not notice the hawk that must have been up in the tree above the turkeys, but he made his move and went after the ones headed to the left.

Before the hawk was able to get his talons on the one he was after, both of the blue jays dive bombed him and broke up the attack! The hawk must have been what jays were raising the ruckus over, and that warning must have been why we got so close before the turkeys broke cover!

I know this has nothing to do with Baja, but it made my day!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2021 at 09:16 AM

That must have scared the **** out of you and your dog. Pheasants are shocking when flushed but a flock of turkeys would... be a definite check your drawers moment.

[Edited on 5-31-2021 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2021 at 09:29 AM

You are right about the pheasants! Even though the turkeys are larger, they are no where near as explosive as the pheasants on take off!

I grew up in this area, and pheasants were common, and sometimes in large flocks. Turkeys were very rare, but they have adapted to the spread of rural homes on what used to be ranches better than the pheasants, which are now extremely rare!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 10:31 AM

My son saw a couple of blackbirds this weekend harassing a bald eagle. I thought that was ballsy of them until I realized this is nesting season and all the rules go out the window. Perhaps the jays were in a similar mood.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 11:00 AM

The turkey population is booming in Amador county as well. We have huge flocks all over. I remember when they reintroduced them in the late 80's early 90's, we used to be surprised to see them. Now they are all around the area. It's seems that there is a huge boom with wild pigs as well, no sure if they are wild or just escaped domestic?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2021 at 09:35 AM
A side note;

I have been clearing out some invasive brush (scotch broom) and thinning some of the native species to reduce the fire hazard. I have noticed that for some reason, the exposed mud in an area that has a spring is attracting the endangered monarch butterflies. I am going to look into establishing more milk weed plants to do what I can to help them survive.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.