BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: After years of paying CESPE and Telnor bills online nothing will go through
Stevabc

[*] posted on 6-16-2021 at 12:22 PM
After years of paying CESPE and Telnor bills online nothing will go through

We've been able to pay our CESPE and Telnor bills online using U.S. credit cards for years. In the last 2 months suddenly our payments will not post on either system. Both their systems immediately come back with "TRANSACCIÓN RECHAZADA, INTENTE CON OTRA TARJETA".

I've checked with the card companies for 2 different cards and they are not seeing any attempt to charge the cards, and there are no blocks on charges from Mexico.

My Spanish is poor, but even when I am able to get someone to understand the problem their service reps are of no help whatsoever and have told me that know their systems are down. This has been a problem for months and I seriously doubt both systems have been down for that long.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

[Edited on 6-16-2021 by Stevabc]

[Edited on 6-16-2021 by Stevabc]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2021 at 12:45 PM

Is there a local office? Do you have any friends who speak Spanish well and can help interpret for you? I don't know if you live in Baja, or just pay remotely for a house, but finding a Spanish speaker would be my choice if all you have is telephone access. Good luck!

John
Stevabc

[*] posted on 6-16-2021 at 01:29 PM

I had a friend pay the bills the last couple of month, but I can't continue to rely on him to do so. I need to find a way to pay these bills myself when I'm not in Mexico.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-16-2021 at 01:53 PM

I have never had a Mexican utility bill, but in Alaska, and California, I have pre-paid some bills with a balance large enough to cover what would come in while I was traveling.

Is that a workable option, assuming you can get down there, or have someone else load your account with a positive balance?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Stevabc

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 08:26 AM

There may be an option to set up autopay with Telnor, but CESPE apparently doesn't have one, or a way to pay in advance.

Considering the number of Americans who live in Mexico part of the year, I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue for anyone else.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 08:34 AM

Maybe try uLink for payment? I use it to pay my fideicomiso.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevabc  
There may be an option to set up autopay with Telnor, but CESPE apparently doesn't have one, or a way to pay in advance.

Considering the number of Americans who live in Mexico part of the year, I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue for anyone else.

I've found the simplest, least hassle method is to pay phone, electricity, and water in advance. I normally pay for 6 months twice a year. I go to the offices to do that.

Another advantage of this method is that there are no credit/debit cards involved. I trust Mexican data systems even less than I trust US systems, and US systems are hacked on a regular basis.

[Edited on 6-17-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 10:02 AM

They want a local credit card, perhaps try phone apps, multipagos or mi oxxo

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 10:07 PM

Hi,

Paypal has a service called xoom.com I use it to pay my telcel bill from the US. I think that you can pay more things. Take a look.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Hi,

Paypal has a service called xoom.com I use it to pay my telcel bill from the US. I think that you can pay more things. Take a look.

Thanks! Looks good for CFE, Telnor, and others. Check it out.

https://www.xoom.com/mexico/pay-bills

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 10:39 AM

I went to the Ensenada Telnor office with my credit card in hand. They have to fill in a form, get a copy of your credit card, copy of passport. 10 minutes later my autopay bill for Telnor is now functional. Yes, they will not accept payment with a US CC. That was changed over a year ago. I used to be able to pay my CFE bill via CC as well, but that went away two years ago. There I prepay with about $4,000 Pesos ahead of time. They send me invoices via e-mail every month.

Quote: Originally posted by Stevabc  
I had a friend pay the bills the last couple of month, but I can't continue to rely on him to do so. I need to find a way to pay these bills myself when I'm not in Mexico.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 10:41 AM

The Ensenada office has English-speaking customer service agents.

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Is there a local office? Do you have any friends who speak Spanish well and can help interpret for you? I don't know if you live in Baja, or just pay remotely for a house, but finding a Spanish speaker would be my choice if all you have is telephone access. Good luck!

John

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 11:03 AM

CFE will accept Am-Express Platinum as an online payment.

Stevabc

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 02:25 PM

Update: I'm aware of the Paypal service, but have been burned by Paypal shutting down an account in good standing in the past and do not want to deal with them again if there is an alternative.

I was able to set up autopay on a credit card after a long wait at a Telnor office. CFE has been set up for a different payment method that is still working and that just leaves CESPE. I'll be going to their office on Monday to see what they can do.
Stevabc

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Yes, they will not accept payment with a US CC. That was changed over a year ago.

That is incorrect, it wasn't changed "over a year ago." I have been able to use a U.S. credit card for years for Telnor and CESPE and have done so like clockwork every single month. The problems paying just started in the last 2 months.

It looks like it's related to a new geo-location rule that was introduced this year:

https://www.bnamericas.com/en/news/mexico-banking-watch-geo-...

The rule went into effect on March 23rd and we were unable to pay our April and June bills.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.