Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 wines worth mentioning
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:17 PM
3 wines worth mentioning

Xecue Rosado of Grenacha. We found this to be one of the best ro-says we have ever had, and believe me, we have had plenty.

Adobe Guadalupe Syrah/cab/nebbiolo blend. According to them, syrah is starting to become the favorite of new plantings. They claim they are importing water from Sonora via a pipe to supplement the meager supplies they have this year at very dear prices. Really? A pipe from Sonora to the valle?

The outlier is Lechuzas's Nebbiolo made to be served chilled. I know, I know, complete folly. In fact, I burst out giggling when the proprietor told me what he had done. They will be sold out in a month, literally flying off the selves. Don't miss out, LMAwines.com has a few cases left.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:28 PM

somebody had a pipe

Harald Pietschmann
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 08:08 AM

Prices at the winery or your source?

Really pleased with how the LA Cetto wines that we tried this year, have improved.........in quality and price point. Of the whites, really pleased with the 2019 Chard, the Chenin Blanc (yes, I love chenin blanc) and the secondary label Sauv Blanc with the gecko on the label. All were 165 pesos or less at our wine shop in town. Also really pleased with an inexpensive sauv blanc from Chile, Puerto Nuevo. 79 pesos.

I had no reason to buy any Monte Xanic at their prices. Might as well buy the Argentinian reds, especially Alamos, for less. Even Catena is cheaper than most M.X. wines.

I generally do not find Mexican reds as good as I can find inexpensive reds from the States and elsewhere in the world, IN MEXICO. This years moderately priced reds for me were Arrogant Frog and the Fetzer something-or-other Hill reds.

If this keeps up, I may not have to "smuggle" nearly as much wine down each year. Just bring down the Napa Cabs, the Washington Syrahs and the odd Brunellos and Barolos.

Love to see some good red blends besides the Apothics and the Menages and the Yellowtails in Mexico. Hoping for the Bogel Essential Reds and the 14 Hands family of blends.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Prices at the winery or your source?

$19-$30 seems to be the majority of the pricing at the wineries. Reservas are in the $30s with the occasional $50.
Many of the wineries said 2020 was a very good year for them, everyone stayed home and drank......
They are not expecting 2021 to be a very good harvest due to lack of rain, time will tell, of course.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 04:07 PM

Speaking about wine. Does anybody know what happened to Calafia?
Years ago Calafia had a vino tinto. Excellent red wine! No artificial sugar or other additives. Pure taste. But out of the sudden no shop offers Calafia Tinto anymore.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 10:20 PM

when i spend $30 on a bottle of wine, its it's rare that it's a Mexican wine.
as much as we might love Mexico, i feel there is some motivation to rate them better than they deserve.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
when i spend $30 on a bottle of wine, its it's rare that it's a Mexican wine.
as much as we might love Mexico, i feel there is some motivation to rate them better than they deserve.

Which leads me to the question: Which wine is really o n l y made from grapes??? There is a saying in Europe, Italy and France for the most expensive wines. A wine barrel (or tank nowadays) contains: Ankle high wine. Knee high chemicals. Water to the top. Let it rest for some time and the chemicals will do their job! :fire:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.