BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: VeeGo fat tire bike...Anybody here own one?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 03:31 PM
I pulled the trigger on this one....

I went to a local dealer that I did not even know existed, and was impressed with their inventory, parts and service! The Emojo Ram Sport is almost identical to the way the VeeGo is set up, and at the same price point, so I am going with the local guy vs. a shop in Florida!

https://sierraebike.com/products/ram-ss

I will let you know how it works out after a few shakedown/learning curve rides around my property!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 03:49 PM

AKgringo, the one you bought looks similar to Vee, they copy each other design shamelessly in China. The battery is smaller than Vee.

RAD and Lectric are consumer-direct products, stores don't carry them. You may book a test ride in selected locations - probably only one location for Lectric, in their Phoenix headquarters. RAD can arrange a ride in pretty much any state, I heard.

Lectric is cheap for a reason - their motor is 500W (750W in RAD), the battery is 9.4 AH (14 AH in RAD). Could be other differences as well.

[Edited on 7-2-2021 by Alm]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
AKgringo, the one you bought looks similar to Vee, they copy each other design shamelessly in China. The battery is smaller than Vee.

The two bikes are so similar, that I did not check the amp output of the batteries. Ten vs. thirteen is worth considering, and may have changed my decision. VeeGo even shows a 17.5 amp option, but it adds $200 to the cost.

Since I am so ignorant about this technology, having a service shop 7 miles from my house will probably be a good thing.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 01:33 PM

There is a mobile service https://www.velofix.com/. They come to your place, pick up the bike, fix it and bring it back.

As I recall, RAD have an agreement with Velofix to deliver new bikes assembled - important thing because 99% of consumer-direct bikes require assembly. Shops would assemble bikes they sell - per customer request, and most of them would charge $100-150 for that. Some don't charge.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 11:16 PM

I have a similar fat-tire E-Bike (Rad Power folding).

Fat tires are nice in that they let you ride on beaches and soft-sandy trails that a normal mountain bike would get bogged down by.

However, I found my tubes would quickly get punctured by cactus spines. And they don't make Tuffy Strips tube protectors that wide.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
I found my tubes would quickly get punctured by cactus spines. And they don't make Tuffy Strips tube protectors that wide.

While I was at the shop, they showed me some foam inserts that were designed for my 20 x 4 inch Kenda tires. They are supposedly firm enough to allow the bike to 'run flat' without ruining the tubes or tires.

If the bike works out for me around here (no cactus) then I might consider having them installed before I head to Baja. They did 'slime' my tires at no charge, so I have some protection already.

[Edited on 7-10-2021 by AKgringo]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
There is a mobile service https://www.velofix.com/. They come to your place, pick up the bike, fix it and bring it back.

As I recall, RAD have an agreement with Velofix to deliver new bikes assembled - important thing because 99% of consumer-direct bikes require assembly. Shops would assemble bikes they sell - per customer request, and most of them would charge $100-150 for that. Some don't charge.

Support your local bikes shops. Do not buy bikes online.
Double whammy: you buy Chinese made, putting usa workers out of work, and buy online, leading to failure of local bike shop.

That mobile assembly service is probably the former employee of a closed bike shop :(

P.s. China is in many ways an enemy of USA,… buy American!

[Edited on 7-10-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Double whammy: you buy Chinese made, putting usa workers out of work, and buy online, leading to failure of local bike shop.

Local bike shops sell bikes made in China. Only a few US companies (1 or 2 literally) make their own wheels and put it on Chinese frames with Chinese motor, battery, electronics, brakes etc and advertise it as "made in the USA of local and global materials". Electric Bike Company is one of them (yes, this is the name). I think they also paint frames in this shop.

All other so-called US ebike companies just place an order with the US distributor's warehouse who in turn orders partially assembled bikes from China. Front wheel is removed to make the box smaller, and then the shop puts the wheel on and does tune-up. This is all that the US workers do. Or a customer puts the wheel on. Some companies have one shop where they sell and service it, some have a dealers network.

Some online bikes like RAD are "designed" in the US, this involves going to China and choosing from a variety of frames, motors, batteries and getting some factory to put it together. With other online bikes - like Lectric - there is no US design work.

Mainly, the difference is in service. RAD will promptly send you parts and (if under warranty) will pay for installing them in whatever shop will do it. Pedego will come to your place, pick up the bike, give you a loaner, and bring your bike back later - this is why they cost more. Parts are all Chinese, except that Pedego use Dapu motor which is said to be Japanese but the listed address is in China.

[Edited on 7-10-2021 by Alm]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 07:16 PM

I own a 2019 Rad Rover. I love it.

I replaced the original tires at 1500 miles, and went EVEN WIDER. 4.8 INCH Maxxis Minions. Originals were 4.0. I really dont consider a 3.0 inch tire that fat. You will bog down in sand. Still too narrow.

At 8 psi, I can float on any sand that is no deeper than about 4-6 inches. Meaning that if there is wet sand or hard pack below the 4-6 inches, you are cruising. And, yes, I can make turns in this sand, too, not just going straight forward.

I ride about 90% single tracks in Mexico, 5% dirt roads and 5% pavement. Those are Mexico percentages. In Idaho, I am about 50-50 dirt to pavement. I have 3 inch street tires I slap on.

I now have about 2700 miles on it. Ive adjusted the cable brakes about three times in that time. My hydraulic brake mtn bikes friends said I would be adjusting constantly. Not so. Adjusting is sooo easy with discs and rotors.

I have encountered steep inclines on loose gravel where the weight of the bike isnt overcome by the 750w, rear hub motor. Mid drive motor bikes do have more torque.......but you often get no throttle. I pity my mid-drive friends when they bog down on a hill and have to get pedaling on a steep incline for the motor to kick in. They just walk it up. Not so with a throttle.

There are tire liners that cover probably 90% of the tire surface that contacts the ground. I have them. They work. I also use Slime. Flats are extremely rare, even in Mexican deserts. But the single tracks I ride are well worn.

Make no mistake, these bikes are trail bikes, not enduro or downhill bikes. I'm fine with that, at my age.

Placing and retrieving a folding bike from a trunk sounds so easy.........until you have to BEND OVER to lift 50-65 lbs. out of the trunk. I'd much rather have to lift straight up to put it on a bike rack.

I probably will buy a straight mechanical mtn. bike soon, for more technical riding. But this bike has replaced so many city errands. I have panniers that I slap on when I am NOB in Eagle, Idaho.

Goat, I defy you to find an e-bike that isn't largely Chinese components. It really doesn't exist, that I am aware of.

[Edited on 7-11-2021 by Hook]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 10:09 AM

Hook is right. These machines are heavy to put in/out the trunk. Folding bikes tend to be heavier, with hinges and frame reinforcements. RAD Mini weighs 67 lbs - more if you add optional rear rack. With battery removed it's still 60 lbs. With the trunk you have to put your arms forward with all this weight.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 11:42 AM

My Emojo Ram is listed at 55 lbs with the rack installed. I have not verified the weight, but that seems about right. It really is no trouble putting it in the back of my Isuzu Trooper.

I agree that a rigid frame and an external rack to haul the bike on would be best for most uses, but my choice of roads and trails would put the bike and rack at risk of damage. Then there is the temptation for thieves to mess with it if I can not be right with the vehicle.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 12:02 PM
Designed in California!

It says so right on the frame of my e-bike! In conversations with the shop owner, he told me that since he is one of the highest volume distributors of the Emojo brand, they listened to him about how to modify one of their existing designs to meet his ideas about this model.

It is his best seller, and hard to keep on the floor. He also confirmed what has been said here about next to nothing being produced by US factories!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 06:47 PM

About those foam inserts... I would get them, given the intended use. Tannus Armor was the brand I looked into.

All bikes are now hard to keep on the floor, with and without motor, not just Emojo. People have been buying rec items like crazy during the epidemic, and the supply chain has been wrecked for the same reason.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 07:00 PM

Aside from demand, there is also a few problems in shipping, such as a shortage of shipping containers in China, a shortage of truck drivers in the US, increased fuel cost along the whole supply chain, and an increased desire for a lot of folks to get away from their usual routine.

All of the bikes I have checked out have had recent price increases!

[Edited on 7-16-2021 by AKgringo]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 10:10 AM

a number of gringos in my area have radrovers. yes, they are heavy. also fun, comfortable ,and affordable.
we get flat tires...i buy tubes in 4packs.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
While I was at the shop, they showed me some foam inserts that were designed for my 20 x 4 inch Kenda tires. They are supposedly firm enough to allow the bike to 'run flat' without ruining the tubes or tires.

Sounds intriguing! If you get a chance to snap a photo of them or write down the brand & product name, I'd appreciate that!

I did end up trying multiple Tuffy strips duct-taped together side-by-side. I then slitted them on the sides so they would properly bend into the right donut shape. I haven't been back to cactus country to try all this out yet (COVID).

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 09:59 AM

The Kenda tires on my Radrover are supposedly puncture-resistant but were no match for the thorns in Baja. After using Slime in the tubes last year I've had zero flats.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 11:01 AM

growing up in the SFV in the 50's and 60's puncture weeds (goat heads) were the scourge of every bicycle rider, before Slime we had some kind of sealant similar to Slime that saved the day! anyway here's an interesting article about various sealants..
https://mbaction.com/tire-sealant-shootout/amp/

[Edited on 7-16-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 06:36 PM

I've been using Slime but the word is Stan's and Orange Seal are better.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 01:18 PM

I use Stan's in my MTB tubeless tires but Slime seems to work well for the fat tire tubes.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.