Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Touring Baja by Motorbike
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Indeed it is one of the better graded-dirt roads, so I don't know why motorcycles should avoid unless the bike is just not suitable for any unpaved road? If that is the case, a different bike should be considered because in Baja the pavement ends before you get to where you want to go!

Hi David: None of the pics you have posted yet indicated anything that would cause me to turn around, even with the K75. Keep them coming.

Glad to hear that JD! I think you have enough intel to enjoy yourself... Use my website to design your adventure! www.vivabaja.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:58 AM

Yes, I regret not paying to keep that url longer. I changed DavidKsBaja to VivaBaja over 16 years ago. After several years, I stopped paying for it.
Apparently those capitalist commies thought it was a great value to grab it??? LOL

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:00 AM

I have a specific route question. Is there a back road route from Punta Marquez or Conquista Agraria down to Todos Santos? Seems a shame to have to run all the way into La Paz and back down the highways to get there. Google maps seem to go dead midway and only show a big inland detour to get across the one river.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:12 AM

I have a specific route question. Is there a back road route from Punta Marquez or Conquista Agraria down to Todos Santos? Seems a shame to have to run all the way into La Paz and back down the highways to get there. Google maps seem to go dead midway and only show a big inland detour to get across the one river.

Both the new Benchmark 2021 Baja California Atlas and the old 2009 Baja California Almanac show the roads that parallel the coast south from Punta Marquez area to Todos Santos. The Mexican topo map (CalTopo) shows them too.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:17 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need. Unfortunately only lists shipping to US eh?
Edited again: Found on Amazon, thanks David

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JDCanuck]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:22 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need.

Here is the 2009 folding map from the Baja Almanac creator that shows the roads:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:23 AM
The Naranjos road

I am not sure of the name or spelling of that route, but I drove it in November of 2020 from east, to west. It is a nice, scenic drive! I found a place to sleep up near the summit, and was serenaded by goats, and cows wearing bells for most of the night!

The first half was excellent dirt that would be an easy drive in anything up to a motor home! The western, last quarter of the road was about the same.

There were a couple of steep spots and water crossings on the west side of the divide that had been washed out and repaired, but nothing that I needed to use 4x4 or low range for.

I would not want to drive a low clearance, or long wheel based rig over that section, but you probably could. All bets are off if there is a storm before you ride it!

Edit; The water crossings were not deep, but a couple had steep approach or departure angles!

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 10:17 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need. Unfortunately only lists shipping to US eh?
Edited again: Found on Amazon, thanks David

It is also available as an app download for your smart phone or gps enabled tablet. It will show your location when in Baja.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 11:23 AM

Both the new Benchmark 2021 Baja California Atlas and the old 2009 Baja California Almanac show the roads that parallel the coast south from Punta Marquez area to Todos Santos. The Mexican topo map (CalTopo) shows them too. [/rquote]

Thanks for the map suggestions, have them coming in mail.
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am not sure of the name or spelling of that route, but I drove it in November of 2020 from east, to west. It is a nice, scenic drive! I found a place to sleep up near the summit, and was serenaded by goats, and cows wearing bells for most of the night!

The first half was excellent dirt that would be an easy drive in anything up to a motor home! The western, last quarter of the road was about the same.

There were a couple of steep spots and water crossings on the west side of the divide that had been washed out and repaired, but nothing that I needed to use 4x4 or low range for.

I would not want to drive a low clearance, or long wheel based rig over that section, but you probably could. All bets are off if there is a storm before you ride it!

Edit; The water crossings were not deep, but a couple had steep approach or departure angles!

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by AKgringo]

Los Naranjos rd, there is a sign beside the entrance to the Buddhist retreat on the east side .Great ride and seems to be graded once a year after the rains. The west side of the summit is definitely the most challenging if you’re on a big bike ,especially before any grading is done . Coming from west there are a few different ways in from the highway . Here’s a view point west of the summit.

8226D83D-2E45-482D-9D5A-5662296C3977.jpeg - 123kB
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:05 PM

He don't need no stinkin' pro.... but someone to hold his beer.

There is a north-south route from the west side that goes down to Cabo via La Candaleria village....

Don't believe everything you think....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need.

Here is the 2009 folding map from the Baja Almanac creator that shows the roads:

Looks to me like it should be easily doable, assuming the routes from Ley Federal Agria Uno to El Rosario and then from Los Innocentes to Meliton Albanez are not too destroyed in bad weather. I will have to check them out when i get down there.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JDCanuck]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Apparently you didn't grow up Catholic. ;)

I actually did. Italian. Stopped around 7th or 8th grade.

I'm just a sh#tty speller.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  
Here’s a view point west of the summit.
Is that guy in shorts and tennies... one of the riders? :wow:

Ha ha ha , wondered if anyone would notice that. First and last ride with that guy , shortly after that pic was taken he put his foot peg into his calf and I mean deep ugly hole in his calf. Then shortly after that got a flat and “surprisingly”had no spare tube or tools. You can see his blood soaked sock in this pic

63E64FC0-D95B-480E-A1B5-8691DFAB311D.jpeg - 135kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:04 PM

Looks to me like it should be easily doable, assuming the routes from Ley Federal Agria Uno to El Rosario and then from Los Innocentes to Meliton Albanez are not too destroyed in bad weather. I will have to check them out when i get down there.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JDCanuck]

I picked my way through the backroads in that area in 2014. It was fun, but a bit confusing sometimes, because the apparent "main road" sometimes dead ended at a ranch!

The traffic to and from Mex 1 and the coast is more common than traffic traveling north and south.

The terrain is pretty flat, so much easier to maintain than some of the steeper mountain roads.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.