BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja road trip ideas
KristinS

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:29 AM
baja road trip ideas

Hey forum! We're planning a 2-week road trip in Baja over Christmas (flying into cabo) and I'm thinking about driving straight to Loreto, and spending our time between Mulege, San Ignacio and Loreto. Ideally including whales, kayaking and perhaps camping if we can manage it. I was initially thinking about including La Paz and Todos Santos as well, but i think it's too much. Any advice or suggestions - number of days per place, things not to miss etc?

Thanks so much!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:35 AM

What type of vehicle (car or SUV) are you renting/driving (2WD or 4WD)?

My wife and I had a fantastic trip the length of Baja in 2012 over a 2-week (15-day) period and it is documented here: http://vivabaja.com/712/

Perhaps you can glean some ideas from it and Nomads can chime in with additional ideas?

Here is my August 2017 Trip report to La Paz and Cabo, researching for a new road guide: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-6-s...

[Edited on 9-30-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:37 AM

I'm a big fan of the beaches along Bahia Concepcion south of Mulege. Either camp at the beaches, stay at beach area B&Bs, or a hotel in Mulege and make day trips to the beaches. Mulege is a nice little town.

The last two weeks of December will be busy no matter what town you go to. But fun too!

[Edited on 9-30-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:48 AM
Welcome to the forum!

My trips are usually unstructured, and rely heavily on traveling the remote areas of Baja, so I don't have a lot to add to SFandH's excellent advice. Most rental cars would be at risk on my favorite drives!

If I was to fly in for a couple of weeks trip, I would try to make the best arrangements I could into the Loreto airport.

One more thought, Christmas and Easter are prime time for beach trips in Mexico! Many Baja residents leave beautiful places along the Pacific coast, to spend some time on the relatively warmer Sea of Cortez side!

[Edited on 9-30-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-30-2021 at 09:34 AM
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 09:59 AM

I would consider a side trip to Lopez Mateos to see the migration of the whales. It will be a tad early in the season but you can google their progress and see if they made it into the lagoons by then. I assure you it will be a life changing event that you will never forget. It's very inexpensive and as I said, a memory of a lifetime.

I also 2nd the idea of spending time at Bahia Conception as I feel it has the most beautiful beaches in Baja that are easily accessible.

I am partial to Loreto so plan on spending time in this charming little town.

San Ignacio is a beautiful little town with a great town square and mission but after a day, you will wonder what to do and see. Don't get me wrong, I really like the town of San Ignacio but if you are limited to 2 weeks I would concentrate on other places unless you want to see the whales in their lagoon. I think you should see the whales in Lopez Mateos and pass on the lovely town of San Ignacio.

Have fun and just use common sense in your travels.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 10:49 AM

Sounds like a good trip but I would fly into Loreto if you can. I don't think you will see any whales that time of year but there's still a ton to do.

Juan Carlos who owns JC's restaurant in El Burro on Bahia Concepcion is offering some kind of camping gear rental now - https://www.instagram.com/elburrobajacamping/

Also quite a few options on AirBnB now.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 11:02 AM

plan a Saturday night on the La Paz malecon:yes:
KristinS

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 07:25 PM

This is GREAT - thank you. Do you think we should spend our first 2-3 nights in La Paz - and maybe do an Espiritu Santo day trip? Or will the further north beachy stuff be just as good or better?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I would consider a side trip to Lopez Mateos to see the migration of the whales. It will be a tad early in the season but you can google their progress and see if they made it into the lagoons by then. I assure you it will be a life changing event that you will never forget. It's very inexpensive and as I said, a memory of a lifetime.

I also 2nd the idea of spending time at Bahia Conception as I feel it has the most beautiful beaches in Baja that are easily accessible.

I am partial to Loreto so plan on spending time in this charming little town.

San Ignacio is a beautiful little town with a great town square and mission but after a day, you will wonder what to do and see. Don't get me wrong, I really like the town of San Ignacio but if you are limited to 2 weeks I would concentrate on other places unless you want to see the whales in their lagoon. I think you should see the whales in Lopez Mateos and pass on the lovely town of San Ignacio.

Have fun and just use common sense in your travels.

Do not do whales at mag bay. Whales (operators) much better at San Ignacio.
The lagoon is quite remote, the village is great.
If you want easy camping, go to kuyimita, they can provide tents with cots and bags, and food onsite. Easy camping experience.

Whales may not be there yet in December,… depends on Mother Nature, if they travel south early or late.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:22 PM

If you can fly into Loreto, then you can really explore Loreto and the beaches north of it.

Dec. is most likely too early for the whales but you can chime in here and perhaps someone can tell you if they are being sighted.

Are you just a couple or will you have kids along?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KristinS  
This is GREAT - thank you. Do you think we should spend our first 2-3 nights in La Paz - and maybe do an Espiritu Santo day trip? Or will the further north beachy stuff be just as good or better?

there's hundreds of miles of beautiful beaches in baja but only one La Paz malecon on saturday night....then go to Loreto!:coolup:
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
If you want easy camping, go to kuyimita, they can provide tents with cots and bags, and food onsite. Easy camping experience.

Yeah, the whale tours at Kuyima are fantastic! I've been there several times. But Feb-Mar is the time for that.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:06 AM

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 11:09 AM

There must be a reason you're not flying into Loreto. If flying to Cabo, stop in Todos and LP for a few hours. Walk LP malecon and head to Loreto. Explore Loreto/Mulege, skip Ignacio, prob early for whales.

Partial to Loreto, LP is a city with too much traffic. Brush up on conversational Spanish, if you haven't already.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.