Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 6V Battery Advice
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
If batteries temps are kept constant, you'll have longevity issues.

Store them underground.

That's probably not feasible at her location. Her battery array is in a fairly protected area downstairs.

John

[Edited on 12-1-2021 by John Harper]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 11:00 AM

no no no....put them near the inverter

water goes down

they will last 6 yrs

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
no no no....put them near the inverter

Yes, there is an existing shelf near the inverter and charger units. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just explore some options for her.

John
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 12:54 PM

If the AGMs last 6 years that's a fair investment. Also by that time the new tech will have really advanced and who knows what we'll see.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 01:36 PM

I would definitely check out one 24v lithium iron battery and compare pricing to 4 -6 volt lead acids. I think you will be surprised at the cost comparison and the huge increase in available KWH power to be drawn without damage to the batteries. Mine are Pylontech and were the lowest priced commonly sold LiFePO4 with very good tested lifespans...6000 cycles at 80% drawdown. Old specs here, prices continually dropping and they are available in Todos Santos area.
https://en.wccsolar.net/product-page/bater%C3%ADa-litio-2-84...

[Edited on 12-1-2021 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 01:38 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272293259204

this is the best tester for the cells

also use epson salts in the water when you fill the batteries
some of my batteries are 15 yrs old and all cells are good
you get a box at walmart

our website is:
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I would definitely check out one 24v lithium iron battery and compare pricing to 4 -6 volt lead acids. I think you will be surprised at the cost comparison and the huge increase in available KWH power to be drawn without damage to the batteries. Mine are Pylontech and were the lowest priced commonly sold LiFePO4 with very good tested lifespans...6000 cycles at 80% drawdown. Old specs here, prices continually dropping and they are available in Todos Santos area.
https://en.wccsolar.net/product-page/bater%C3%ADa-litio-2-84...

[Edited on 12-1-2021 by JDCanuck]

Thanks. Only issue is whether the charge controller would be compatible, and as I said, the light weight might make theft too easy.

My lithium iron battery is like a feather on my Harley.

John
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 02:49 PM

Hi John: Take a look at the specs on that page...battery controls are mostly internal to the rack. Cost for usable KWh drawn is much cheaper than lead acid as they can be drawn down 80% without affecting life of 15-20 years. Lead acids here have been rising in price while lithium has been dropping rapidly. Compatible with almost all existing inverter/chargers. Mine use Victron equipment, and these are now recommended with Victron inverters and controllers. I would guess for usable 2.4kwh storage you are looking at around 800-900 USD to replace 4 6v lead acids that would only supply about 1.3 kwh. Absolutely no maintenance...install and forget

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Hi John: Take a look at the specs on that page...battery controls are mostly internal to the rack. Cost for usable KWh drawn is much cheaper than lead acid as they can be drawn down 80% without affecting life of 15-20 years. Lead acids here have been rising in price while lithium has been dropping rapidly. Compatible with almost all existing inverter/chargers. Mine use Victron equipment, and these are now recommended with Victron inverters and controllers. I would guess for usable 2.4kwh storage you are looking at around 800-900 USD to replace 4 6v lead acids that would only supply about 1.3 kwh. Absolutely no maintenance...install and forget

I'll take a look, thank you! All this information is probably too much for my friend, but I'm sure I can absorb it.

John
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 06:00 PM

One other comment on replacing batteries. With technology changing and prices dropping so rapidly on new alternatives, I was reluctant to invest in a full sized battery array. Now with the Ford truck portable 120kwh charge/feed battery solution available for under 40,000 US (before 12,500 rebates) It seems if this is at all usable it may make complete solar battery backup not only a very high priced alternative, but also somewhat obsolete.

I think your friend's best solution would be to check the batteries, maybe replace any with bad cells and do a thorough study of how to proceed while making her existing ones last as long as possible. We live in very rapid technology change times with solid state lithium promising very cheap and very robust storage in the near future.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 05:37 PM

John,

If she’s running 2 6V batteries get her a 12V Li 100AH replacement for about $350 US! Make sure it has a BMS installed and says “deep cycle” (The ad will so state) her current charger will work if it is still good.

The difference in the amount of electricity you have with a solar system is amazing!

The battery is good for 2000 to 6000 cycles depending on how much you discharge it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 05:50 PM

you cannot run a house on 4 6v golf cart batteries

our website is:
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
you cannot run a house on 4 6v golf cart batteries

Looking at a less-consumptive lifestyle, I'm sure you've seen remote ranchos with a single small solar panel on the roof (I think there was a government project at some point to provide minimal electric power for lights, radio, etc.).

Anyone seen what battery configuration those systems use?

I've noticed it seems to be very common in Mexico to just supply enough solar to keep the total CFE bill in extremely low cost Tier one, and run just the most necessary appliances in total outages. This system must be 1000 to 2000 watts of panels or so and high AH 6 volt batteries. Still would definitely justify Lithium when they need to be replaced as prices sit now.

When comparing lead acid to Lithium, you should approximately halve the stated AH of the lead acid batteries for any long term use and cut the lithium by 10 percent before comparing sizes and output. 6000 daily cycles is about 16 plus years of continuous use, and 10 years or more warranties on Lithium is standard. Warranties on lead acid are 1-2 years

[Edited on 12-4-2021 by JDCanuck]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.