Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Rosarito to La Purisma
Perrro Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:24 AM
El Rosarito to La Purisma

The unimproved road from El Rosarito to La Purisma that google maps titles Mex 1, which is a serious error.
What are the conditions, we will be riding 500 lbs Triumph Tiger XCs bikes, from La Purisma to El Rosarito.
We are comfortable on desert and mountain dirt roads but do understand these are not dirt bikes.
And we hate sand on these heavy bikes.
Any information you can give is appreciated
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:49 AM

Hola Perrro Viejo,
Google Maps makes lots of errors!

Other maps label it as Hwy. 53 (The Insurgentes to San Isidro paved road) all the way to El Rosarito (Hwy. 1).

Actually the road meets Hwy. 1 at Km. 59+ and Restaurant Rosarito is about 2 kms. north at Km. 62.

The road from there to San Isidro/ La Purísima is not an unimproved road as Google told you, it is a graded dirt highway. However it can get very rough if the road crews have not serviced it in a while.

That is how I found it in 2017. No sand other than normal surface sand on a graded road, away from the rocky section.

La Purísima to San Isidro (2.3 miles) is paved and 4.6 miles from La Purísima is the junction with the road south to the twin towns of Comondú.

It is 32.0 miles from the Comondú road junction to Highway 1, just south of Rosarito.

My photos from along that road, west to east:

Feel free to ask any other questions!
Have a fun ride!

[Edited on 12-8-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 11:13 AM

No fun riding those mis adventure bikes off road. Yes too heavy wrong tires problem with dirt roads in baja. Some of it doable on heavy bike. Then you get in deep sand rocks ruts fight every inch
Perrro Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 05:18 PM

thanks ya'll, I don't worry about road conditions much, even on a heavy bike, My usual roads are dirt, Western Colorado, Utah, Nevada. However I don't want to sandbag my riding partner.
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 05:53 PM

bajatrailrider gives good advice!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:15 PM

I've taken my 990 over it but it can be a rocky mess at times. I've also taken the big girls on a bit of Baja single track, not smart but fun!
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:53 PM

Thought we were talking about a street bike with smooth tires, especially after reading the 500 lbs part. Just looked up the Triumph Tiger XC. Had no idea! Have fun.

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
Perrro Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 05:54 PM

the Triumph Tiger XC is a pretty good bike, I run Heidenau Scouts on ot
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2021 at 11:44 AM

When is your La Purísima trip planned?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2021 at 11:48 AM

I would suggest airing your tires down, it makes a big difference on the big bike. Just be careful of slamming into rock at high speeds. Your bike will be just fine but it will probably be a workout.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.