Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja - Fall 2021
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 10:21 AM

re camping at lighthouse - "bit of sand to get there but nothing too deep" It's pretty deep and loose - required 6 people to push a VW uphill - 'course a piece of cake coming down. There is a ridgetop road, accessed a bit north than that main uphill climb near the lighthouse. A lot of roads criss-cross there. If you can't do that uphill, there is an RV area near the beach at the base. All full last time I was there - we set up camp in the middle of a side road near the wetlands lagoon. Whales sometimes hang out at the mouth of the lagoon, and a sea lion colony walking distance north of the lighthouse. White sea bass off the rocks.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
re camping at lighthouse - "bit of sand to get there but nothing too deep" It's pretty deep and loose - required 6 people to push a VW uphill - 'course a piece of cake coming down. There is a ridgetop road, accessed a bit north than that main uphill climb near the lighthouse. A lot of roads criss-cross there. If you can't do that uphill, there is an RV area near the beach at the base. All full last time I was there - we set up camp in the middle of a side road near the wetlands lagoon. Whales sometimes hang out at the mouth of the lagoon, and a sea lion colony walking distance north of the lighthouse. White sea bass off the rocks.

Good point. I'm assuming vehicle has 4x4 and larger off-road tires. Not sure how your VW is outfitted but from what I'm picturing I can understand your perspective. My van weighs in around 11,500 lbs when loaded for trips like this sitting on 35" tires with limited slip front & rear diffs for reference.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 10:43 AM
From Laguna Manuela over the Morro Santo Domingo to Variety Beach

These photos are from my Trip Report #4 (April 2017):

Palapas by the bottom of the sandy climb up to the lighthouse.

Variety Beach, named by Nomad 'Whistler' (our late amigo, Glenn) where so many varieties of fish can be caught (corbina, croaker, halibut, white seabass, calico bass...)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2021 at 07:26 PM

https://www.discoverbaja.com/2021/10/04/tom-millers-wsb-secr...
I recall a Tom Miller anglers guide to Baja California I believe mention of "Variety Beach" Fished and camped there once. Many people through out the decades have been hitting this once super productive spot. I doubt that it offers the same action as before, but I hope that there are still some fish left!!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2021 at 08:47 PM

Good info, I would be in a Chevy 4x4 with good tires and the ability to air down. My trailer is an off-road Australian trailer built to go any place you can tow it.
Thanks for the pictures David, looks amazing. It appears the best camping is below the lighthouse, maybe at the little palapa's?

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by advrider]
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2021 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Good info, I would be in a Chevy 4x4 with good tires and the ability to air down. My trailer is an off-road Australian trailer built to go any place you can tow it.
Thanks for the pictures David, looks amazing. It appears the best camping is below the lighthouse, maybe at the little palapa's?

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by advrider]

Do you have a Bruder? We worked on one of those in our shop, they are pretty cool. I keep thinking that would be a good thing to drag down and back, but for the few nights on the trip it's a big expense.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2021 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vacaenbaja  
https://www.discoverbaja.com/2021/10/04/tom-millers-wsb-secr...
I recall a Tom Miller anglers guide to Baja California I believe mention of "Variety Beach" Fished and camped there once. Many people through out the decades have been hitting this once super productive spot. I doubt that it offers the same action as before, but I hope that there are still some fish left!!

Tom and Shirley Miller had a Mexico West camping party at Laguna Manuel (maybe 1981?) and it was he who told us about the long sandy beach to the north of the Morro... and how to get my 4WD Subaru there. I got into owning 4x4 Subarus after Tom so greatly praised his as a 'Super Sand Bug' south of San Felipe! That was in 1977 and I was seeking a replacement for my Jeep Cherokee Chief which spent more time at the dealer and mechanics than it did in Baja (it was a brand new Jeep)!

I commented at the bottom of that article:

David Kier says:
October 6, 2021 at 10:38 am
Tom Miller, during a Mexico West camping trip to Laguna Manuela, had shared that fishing spot with us around 1980. It quickly became a favorite of ours for surf fishing! Calico bass by the rocks and corbina, croaker, and halibut off the long, sandy beach. Another friend, years later, said his amigos called it ‘Variety Beach’ for that reason. Thanks for the story. Good memories there!

Here's my dad and I at Variety Beach in 1983. It was the final fishing trip to Baja for him. Loading up my Subaru. Photo by my mom.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.