Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microbrew Impaired Mexico
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 01:57 PM
Microbrew Impaired Mexico

Pacifico"...."Pacifico" they squeal. That's all I ever hear. :smug:" I would imagine that Mexico is microbrew impaired so to speak. Now, I have had my share of brews in Mex. and I have yet to taste a brew that matches up to a NW Micro. I don't think though that heavily hopped beer would ever be to popular in hot climates. Lagers, pilsners and ales can be brewed to a lighter palate. With milder hops and shortened fermenting cycles a brewmaster can deliver very crisp, clean flavors without the heavy lingering malted hop taste. Or maybe a light Hefewiezen(wheat beer) with am light, crisp citrus finish. A current fancy.
:coolup: I remember my first experience with a Tres XXX in 1969 at a small ranch en route and broken down at Rancho de Castro. On an exeidition down Baja our trek took us over to Malarrimo Beach. The heavy, extra warm beer damn near made me puke. Still the worst beer I can ever remember.

:?:Where does one sample a cerveza brewed in small, controlled batches. It could be a new market in Mex.:light: Its popularity has waned considerably in the NW as the saturation/attrition rate grew when the economy soured. Now only the strong, flexible micro-brewers survive or the giants who bought up many small breweries.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 03:47 PM
easy--bring your own

part of the gear required of the Baja Boyz is to bring about 2 cases of road beer (not what you think) so we have a good supply of microbrews as there normally a dozen of us

but we also support the local deposito, we're just that kind of people

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 04:58 PM

Bring Back Carta Blanca!

BV is partially correct, we bring a couple of cases from home (in my case I bring Asahi which is not bad for over the counter beer delivered in U.S.)
However, I try to wait until we get across the border to get the real stuff, which in my case is clearly Modelo Negra.
Great Stuff!
Sharky, anyone who drinks a heavy, strong, dark beer "extra warm" deserves all the bad taste he gets....
Carta Blanca in the little stubby bottles, with the opener built into the bottom of each one, ah, those were the days.

Baja Arriba!!

ps. BV will drink anything that you can pour... anything!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 05:03 PM

Carta Blanca is back back but only in cans(La Paz)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 05:04 PM

La Casta is a microbrew from (I believe) Monterey.

Closer to home, check out the Tijuana brewery. They have a beer garden/club where they sell on tap. GREAT BEER!

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 05:23 PM

Carta Blanca= orines de caballo. I loved XXX oscuro (but cold), What happened to it? My favorite Mexican beer is the bock that only comes out once a year in December- Nochebuena. One of these thick dark stouts with a raw egg in it makes a great hangover cure.

No accounting for taste...

If it hasn't dissapeared, there was a great cerveza de barril- barrel draft only, no cans or bottles, brewed in Monterrey by a German family by the name of Kloster. Very popular in good restaurants in Mexico City.

In Baja, it's pretty much Pacifico or TKT. I'll take the former.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
...check out the Tijuana brewery. They have a beer garden/club where they sell on tap. GREAT BEER!

http://www.tjbeer.com

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 07:55 PM
Triple IPA

Yes, I am guilty. I bring beer into Mexico. There is nothing like a triple IPA in the hot Baja sun. I gave up on Mexican beers when Tecate switched to aluminum and forever was lost the sweeet steel taste with a touch of lead and a lime twist!
I miss the good old days.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 09:21 PM
Good beer cn be found

Mexico has a few very good beers. Try Bohemia, sometimes hard to find but well worth it. IPA is my favorite style normaly, but something about the heat and a hoppy bear don't go well together. When in Rome...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 10:52 PM
Bohemia

is a decent beer. Similar to Carta Blanca but sweeter and stronger. I have had them off and on for 20 + yrs. A medium lager style, it is available in the Oregon everywhere. Corona is our most popular import. Its skunky taste is its trademark. Some people like the hopped up Modelo but I don't care for it much. We used to have fun visiting the (Pacifico?) brewery in Mazatlan and get schooners of beer for 2 pesos many years ago.

http://www.tjbeer.com/

Nice looking brewery Doug, are there any others? Can you drink cheap at the breweries in Mex. still? Has anyone tried the TJ beer?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Has anyone tried the TJ beer?

I try at least once most every day. If I get to like it I might drink it more frequently.;D

bajaruby
Banned

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 09:27 AM

You could make your own and experiment. Have you checked out "Don Humphry's Missing Links"? He has a site that tell you how.:wow:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Pacifico"...."Pacifico" they squeal. That's all I ever hear. :smug:" I would imagine that Mexico is microbrew impaired so to speak. Now, I have had my share of brews in Mex. and I have yet to taste a brew that matches up to a NW Micro. I don't think though that heavily hopped beer would ever be to popular in hot climates. Lagers, pilsners and ales can be brewed to a lighter palate. With milder hops and shortened fermenting cycles a brewmaster can deliver very crisp, clean flavors without the heavy lingering malted hop taste. Or maybe a light Hefewiezen(wheat beer) with am light, crisp citrus finish. A current fancy.
:coolup: I remember my first experience with a Tres XXX in 1969 at a small ranch en route and broken down at Rancho de Castro. On an exeidition down Baja our trek took us over to Malarrimo Beach. The heavy, extra warm beer damn near made me puke. Still the worst beer I can ever remember.

:?:Where does one sample a cerveza brewed in small, controlled batches. It could be a new market in Mex.:light: Its popularity has waned considerably in the NW as the saturation/attrition rate grew when the economy soured. Now only the strong, flexible micro-brewers survive or the giants who bought up many small breweries.

Sharksbaja if you would open a seafood restaurant and microbrewery here in Mulege the rest of them could all close:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:33 AM
But Bruce

you already scared me off......

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:46 AM

:lol:don't be scared off. just think it will be fun and I will git fat and drunk.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:47 AM

Fat Tire from New Belgium breweries in Colorado.
But as long as a brew is ice cold it fits the bill....even Mickey's Big Mouth for that quick buzz. Those Carte Blanco bottle openers on the bottom were cool.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:59 AM
Fat Tire

is pretty good, a little over-rated, the stronger pale ale was popular a couple yrs back. Mickys' has that wonderful skunky smell:P

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 05:44 PM
Tijuana Brewery...

was at last year's Pyramid Resort Book Signing Party... and they provided FREE full size 'samples' of their light and dark brews! Hey Keri... are they coming back?:o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 06:28 PM

tres xxxx, and carta blanca were good-too much darn fun actually.but, anymoe it's cold tecate with salt and lime-the poor man's magarita! a nice cold ballena does the trick between the highway and camp, then it's tecate time....:o

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.