Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Canyon Hotsprings
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 06:30 AM
Guadalupe Canyon Hotsprings

Finally we were able to get out of “The Great White North” and head to Baja. We crossed the border at Mexicali East, no problems.

We drove out to the Guadalupe Canyon Hotsprings via Laguna Salada. Looked like they had some rain recently but the grade was still packed hard with no mud. I would recommend making a route off a GPS ahead of time if it is your first time driving there. Lots of unmarked junctions that could cause problems. The other route in there via the gravel road is brutal washboard, I would not recommend it.

With a full-size truck camper it took us 2 hrs from Mex 2. The last 10% of the drive takes us a 1/2 hr. Slow going for us. We can only get to one campsite ( Gordonitz) given our 8’6” wide camper can’t fit between the Palm trees to access the other sites. If you have a 7’ wide camper you will fit through.

1C101338-F5C9-4265-A769-E75D7706164F.jpeg - 74kB
Love this place!

359EB85F-7931-45E4-863C-D5DFF97FAEF0.jpeg - 101kB

We camped out on the Pacific side next. Great camping area and with a nice lighthouse where you can view the Grey Whales with Binoculars. We did not see any whales. I was told they were late this year.

705D7678-2427-4FAC-AD15-94137715EF99.jpeg - 51kB

San Ignacio check point was great. Very courteous soldier who took a liking to our German Shepard.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 07:56 AM

Thanks for the report.
Did you just arrive and secure the campsite in the canyon (website seems to indicate reservations only)?
How much was the site... and just for one night?
Thanks.
Guadalupe Canyon used to be a popular destination for us (on the opposite or north side from where you were). When Arturo was forced out, and his campsites closed, we never went back. It's been over 12 years now...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 11:29 AM

Wow , great looking camping spot. Thanks for posting the pictures
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 11:56 AM

I have been committed to taking the west coast route down since once south of El Rosario the topography is so spectacular.

The hot springs do engender a desire to try the east side, and thanks for that report. One of these days....

I care little about the added couple of hours to get to GN. and always treasure my overnight stays in San Quintin.

Jardines for the drive down when the restaurant is open, and The Santa Maria for the drive north is my prerogative.

Add in a last night in the Gaudaloupe Valley makes for a quite satisfying yearly sojourn.

Whale Magic is the source for my annual travels south these days and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that is offered for such a unique experience. I cannot get enough and I know who is to blame.

Being able to share this direct communication with these gentle giants is incomparable to any other that I am aware of.

Swimming with whale sharks is another on my bucket list. One of these days.........

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks for the report.
Did you just arrive and secure the campsite in the canyon (website seems to indicate reservations only)?
How much was the site... and just for one night?
Thanks.
Guadalupe Canyon used to be a popular destination for us (on the opposite or north side from where you were). When Arturo was forced out, and his campsites closed, we never went back. It's been over 12 years now...

Hola David

We booked our tub on line. It was $45 a night for the Gordonitz tub and we stayed two nights. The south side of the creek is more lush and well kept. We love it there.

The north side of the creek is run by a different person. It looks like it was rode hard and put away wet but I am sure when you get into the tub with a beer you forget about that.

We always go on a Sunday afternoon. Lots of Mexicanos have family day there on Sunday. The place is dead on Sunday night.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.