BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Off-Roading Bachelor Party!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 09:40 AM

I have an OLD Kawasaki mule which has never left Mulege,, It gets poor manintence, lots of abuse. It is uncomfortable and noisy. Never broken down except for tires and wrecks...I cuss it every time I use it....But I am going to keep it.....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 03:35 PM

Those are bullet proof Chuckie great work horse and drive short distance . Hi performance does require more work to keep running
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 06:13 PM

In my experience sidexsides not only break often but area major PIA to work on.
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 07:42 PM

So, here's what I'll say. Before I started going to Baja, I was a "pffffft... maintenance, shmaintenance" kind of guy. I now realize that "Baja will find a way", and I REALLY do try to plan and prepare for things (including the NORRA race that I race in every year.. 1000+ miles in baja is NUTS!).

This trip was a bit of a mix between prepared and "wing it". So a lot of the comments in this thread are warranted. I will also say that of the 4200+ miles on my RZR, at least 80% of them are baja miles, and my rig has been ROCK solid (because I do maintenance, prepare, and PLAN for failures). We have a HUGE bin of spares, parts, tools, etc that, hopefully, will keep us as prepared as possible. Is there a failure we haven't planned for? Sure! But such a failure can also happen driving your '08 Camry on HWY 5 down the peninsula!

I'd also reject the argument that side by sides fail more than other vehicles. These rigs are BEAT UP with what we put them through. Take any rig at 50MPH through 2' tall whoops, it's gonna fail sooner than a street rig. Run any rig at 70 MPH over a washboard, it's gonna fail sooner than a jeep going slow through a trail/wash. Run ANYTHING over hundreds of off-road miles, and you're going to have failures. this is no harder to work on than my jeep or my dirt bike. I've never overheated, had vapor lock any any weather in my SxS. My 77CJ, all of the above!

So... Back to FUN stuff, rather than peeing and moaning... who wants to meet up for a SxS run in baja sometime this summer or fall? I'd love to do another one of these "destination runs" with a group!!! Exploring new trails and washes and locked gates, and all that comes with it is SO fun!!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 07:54 PM

To Add Im a dirt bike rider go fast nothing breaks . Anything w 4 wheels breaks and hard to fix and costly. Getting back to 4 wheel fun PM me aburruss. I will take you guys places not on any maps or GPS routes.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2022 at 08:56 AM

Poor planning makes for some of the best trips, figure it out as you go, end up where you end up. To me that's a fun way to travel.

I'm on my second RZR and neither has left me stranded, I do a lot on maintenance on my rigs. If you run one of these rigs you would know how hard they are used and beat on. That kind of use would destroy a jeep or anything short of a trophy truck, they start at over a 100K!

Breakdowns suck but can lead to meeting new people and developing new skills. I've replaced a transfer case and welded up a hole in a transmission, and made new drivelines on the Rubicon, all leading to making new friends and skills.

Your trip sounded amazing to me, I've stayed at Mikes in the snow with no heater while trying to find a shock bolt for a KTM 990, They had one bolt and it fit! Having no problems on a trip is nice but things happen, especially in Baja. Any trip is what you make of it and it looks like you guys made some awesome memories.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2022 at 02:53 PM

HAHA ADV rider make sure that Razor is no poor planning .Last bike broke down 350 miles from my house . Sat there 3 weeks before I could rescue get bike out. Last SXS broke none of us could tow it out up steep hill climb. Again leave it there poor guys had two fit in my two seat sxs. I went back with 1 ton Dodge 4x4 got it out. This is very rare to happen but we get them back.
fishmugger

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 07:57 AM

Been riding Baja for 30 years. Road most everywhere in Baja .Just recently gave up my motor cycle( Ktm 525 ) riding for a rzr 1000 T because I don’t bounce to well when I step off in my old age. Just finished a 400 mi ride starting in Gonzaga, LA bay over to the pacific then catavina back over XR trail to Gonzaga ( grueling on a 4 wheeler) .Use GAIA as map source which best I can find for riding Baja . Sure do like the new XP proR but hard to justify 40 k upgrade .
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 08:57 AM

I use my dirt bikes 75% my YXZ1000r fun SXS . Love paddle shifter but drive it easy. Full well knowing anything 4 wheels push it crash it breaks. Cost big money to fix over 5,000 miles problem free. Except when lady put diesel fuel in it. Im up to wheel or dirt bike anytime guys.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 10:03 AM

Great trip report!

Love the doll. Did the guy blowing it up have a hangover ?

Thanks for posting
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.