Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Emergency call boxes with wifi coming to south of El Rosario
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-22-2022 at 10:27 AM
Emergency call boxes with wifi coming to south of El Rosario

Over the next several weeks, if youโ€™re traveling south of El Rosario you might see some service trucks installing radio towers along the Transpeninsular, Hwy 5 south of Gonzaga and the road out to Bahia de Los Angeles.

Those radio towers will be powered by solar and will use satellite internet to connect together a digital radio grid that will allow emergency call boxes to be installed approximately every 30 miles in those remote areas with no cellular service.

Each tower will be well marked with instructions in both Spanish and English and will have a push button communicator that will connect you with bilingual operators working for the San Quintin office of Public Safety. They will be working in shifts - around the clock - to assist you in the event of an accident and/or medical emergency as well as any other situation requiring help out in the middle of nowhere.

The towers are projected to be installed by the end of March.

The article also includes news of increased, permanent police patrols on the remote areas of Mex 5 and Mex 1 south of El Rosario as well as very welcome news of some positive changes to the police force covering Bahia de Los Angeles.

New Emergency Services Coming to Zona Sur

[Edited on 2-22-2022 by BajaGringo]

[Edited on 3-29-2022 by BajaNomad]

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2022 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Those radio towers will be powered by solar and will use satellite internet

Satellite internet? That's pretty cool-- you know how that works (i.e. what service/provider they're using)?

Not 100% sure but I will check with them and confirm. I should also add that while these coordinates are proposed, my good friends at SISCOM in charge of the installation and ongoing installation advised me that the final locations may change slightly based on any issues they encounter during the install and I will check back in and update to the changes, if any.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2022 at 11:48 AM

A very interesting and comforting move by authorities. I'm sure it's very much worth the minimal investment in increased visits by foreigners.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2022 at 12:41 PM

Looks like Coco's Corner will have a tower. Coco may be a Baja Nomad before long! ๐Ÿ˜†

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Looks like Coco's Corner will have a tower. Coco may be a Baja Nomad before long! ๐Ÿ˜†

Just found out that Coco's corner got scratched from the list...

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2022 at 06:42 AM

I saw one on my last trip north. The Loncheria must be pretty happy!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.