BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for Ride La Paz to border
divideCylist

[*] posted on 2-22-2022 at 02:09 PM
Looking for Ride La Paz to border

Hi, new here. I just finished cycling the Baja Divide and would love to be able to overland back up north. Almost anytime in the next 1-3 weeks would work for me. I do have a bike that can be partially disassembled but obviously very little beyond that.

Happy to share in driving and expenses.

Thanks,
Brandon
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2022 at 04:41 PM

It would be best to communicate to sports groups such as FB La Ventana Kiteboarding https://web.facebook.com/groups/421458964632341, Everything Los Barrilles Buy Sell https://web.facebook.com/groups/367341703636540

Tons of people heading north, perhaps offer to help with gas or contribute in some way? Describe more about yourself or provide references to provide some assurance your are a safe passenger?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-22-2022 at 05:00 PM

Easy to take bike as luggage on the busses. Take wheels off, and use cardboard/tape to package wheels with frame, protect derailleur/handlebar levers, etc. -- make a package of your bike so it can easily be handled in luggage bin under bus. Doesn't have to be fancy packaging, just bare minimum of tape/cardboard to make handling easy for bus driver/baggage handlers, protect your bike, etc. Tell them it is fragile and they wont stack luggage on top of the bike.

Once you get to TJ, assemble bike and cross border via pedestrian line

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

divideCylist

[*] posted on 2-23-2022 at 04:51 PM

Thanks to both of you.

I had included the line about "I'm happy to share in driving and expenses." Which I thought was an offer to contribute. The offer stands. I am not looking for a handout.

I am a fairly seasoned traveler. 38 y/o male. I have hiked across the country twice. Cycled across it nearly twice. This was my first bike packing adventure. When I am not traveling I have worked for the forest service, on websites, as a gardener (my favorite but it pays little), and a handful of others throughout the years.

I am currently living in NH but my Dad, Aunt and Grandma are in AZ so I am going to head there first to visit them.

And the bus is my backup. But it is such a long bus ride that I worry about having to watch the under bus luggage bin the entire time so my bike doesn't leave without me.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2022 at 06:29 PM

Tons of people are leaving everyday, connect on other popular groups, Baja Pony Express, FB, etc. Often people need help driving.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 10:35 AM

Take the bus. Not so long - they drive all night. About 26 hours. You get a baggage claim ticket and good drivers will check the claim ticket as people leave with their luggage. There will be fewer and fewer passengers as the bus goes north.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 12:56 PM

take the bike apart and fly

https://www.expedia.com/lp/flights/lap/phx/la-paz-to-phoenix

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 01:20 PM

Take the bike apart, and take a cruise ship from cabo or la paz to socal.

[Edited on 2-24-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 06:10 PM

Congratulations for cycling the entire route!

Pay no attention to the detractors from your request.. they can be a bit tough with responses.

Baja pony express is one great tool to use..

https://www.thebajaponyexpress.com/wp/

Click on post to the BPE and Subscribe to get the newsletter.

Ha, I see you've already posted a request. Perfect!!

[Edited on 2-25-2022 by KasloKid]
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 07:16 PM

Bus is 24 hrs, you would be there tomorrow. Volaris to Tijuana about the same price, you would be there in an hour.

Taken both on short notice, reliable, safe, and cheap. Care in packing bike, and problem solved.

I
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2022 at 10:10 PM

The flights are sometimes ridiculously inexpensive - like $30! That is a nice option.

I have a friend who is part of warm showers in La Paz and she can easily get you a ride to San Ignacio - halfway up the coast. Many, many tourists there now because of whale watching,,,,I bet you could get a ride with no sweat.

I will send you a U2U which is a private message.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2022 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
take the bike apart and fly

https://www.expedia.com/lp/flights/lap/phx/la-paz-to-phoenix

Best advice in the entire thread.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

divideCylist

[*] posted on 2-26-2022 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I would still prefer to help someone out and share a ride but it looks like I might have to book public transit instead.

Also, for the future, if someone is looking to get a ride, just telling them to fly is not very helpful. Sometimes it is not about what you think is cheap or easy. First off, flying with a bike is never fun. Most boxes do not protect the bike much and I have seen baggage handlers drop the oversized boxes and throw all sorts of things onto them.

Second, I have taken many cross country trips with new friends and people I meet along the way and have always enjoyed the experiences. I have given dozens of rides to people and often look for one first when it seems like there would be one available.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-26-2022 at 11:08 AM

If I was down there, and headed north, I would look forward to sharing a ride with you. My dog has heard all my stories many times, and even my friends are getting tired of the re-runs! I also would rather spend time getting acquainted with someone new to me, than take a bus north.

I hope you are able to connect with someone soon. I have driven quite a lot of the Baja Divide route, and have shared water, ice and fresh fruit with more than a few cyclists I have met. I even hauled a biker with a broken bike from near San Evaristo to La Paz.

[Edited on 2-26-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 11:08 AM

check with all the motorcycle tour groups. Their driver is usually solo heading north.
divideCylist

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 08:12 AM

Thanks again all, especially Blanca and those who pointed me towards other forums and groups and pages.

I am on my way back. Hopefully not for too long, Baja was amazing!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 10:51 PM

Wonderful! The beauty of being able to communicate so easily via internet and help you from 7,500 miles away!

Next trip, you must include our village of La Bocana and for sure go to Bahia Asuncion where biking is so big now. Look up Zack.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
divideCylist

[*] posted on 3-10-2022 at 03:15 PM

Thanks again, love the new suggestions!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2022 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by divideCylist  
Thanks for all the advice. I would still prefer to help someone out and share a ride but it looks like I might have to book public transit instead.

Also, for the future, if someone is looking to get a ride, just telling them to fly is not very helpful. Sometimes it is not about what you think is cheap or easy. First off, flying with a bike is never fun. Most boxes do not protect the bike much and I have seen baggage handlers drop the oversized boxes and throw all sorts of things onto them.

Second, I have taken many cross country trips with new friends and people I meet along the way and have always enjoyed the experiences. I have given dozens of rides to people and often look for one first when it seems like there would be one available.

JZ's advice is rarely on spot. No worries. As Blanca suggested, if you ever get out to Bahia Asuncion, let me know. We're hosting another BD rider on Saturday.

I'm heading north but not for another week. Congrats on an epic adventure!

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2022 at 03:20 PM

Congrats on the ride,love to hear about your ride south. You gotta love it when you ask a simple question and get lots of useless suggestions. Note to some nomads , just resist the urge to type when you have nothing relevant to offer 🤦‍♂️

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.