[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
there is NOT enough rain in baja to install a rainwaterr tank

this is not canada or the northern usa

its just doesnt rain that much

i ve had lots of water tanks crack and leak... bad idea

Susan,
You are wrong, again!
Here in San Diego I collect my roof runoff. Works great. I know many people harvesting rain water from their roofs.
1 inch of rain on a 1000 sf2 roof is 600+ gal.
Why not collect it?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 02:59 PM

there you go...
\

SAN DIEGO isnt in baja

most houses in san diego dont even need AC

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
there you go...
\

SAN DIEGO isnt in baja

most houses in san diego dont even need AC

Water is water. Why not collect it?

FYI, lots of baja gets more rain than the parched and hellishly-hot desert where you live. Ensenada gets about same rainfall as San Diego, and many houses get by w/o AC.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-19-2022 at 09:18 PM

I understand that the water supply in La Paz is about at it’s maximum! We have a well in Rancho Nuevo owned by the HOA. Our CONAGUA water concession is a fraction of the water coming down the arroyo most of the rest just flows back into he sea. Several of the arroyos around Todos Santos actually have surface streams that flow into the sea.

Water costs 25 pesos per M3. By splitting the gray water off about 60% of that water can be recycled, minus that lost from pools to leaks and evaporation. 8 -10K liters a month is probably the average usage.

I wonder if it’s legal to impound rain water in Mexico, most counties in California require a permit or ban the practice.

On the subject of storage tanks. Eventually they all leak! The solution is an EDPM custom liner. There’s a company in Chino CA that makes them. It cost a few hundred dollars but it's way cheaper than replacing a tank!

[Edited on 3-20-2022 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2022 at 08:55 AM

https://apple.news/AOAqowgn0STiY7e-3pH-YZQ

Arizona looks to seawater conversion project with Mexico in gulf of california.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2022 at 09:12 AM

We truck water in San Felipe. We have 2 - 1600 in ground plastic water tanks. The tanks are surrounded with concrete grout. One of the tanks had a root come up through the bottom! The nearest tree is 50’ away and the bottom of the tank is 7’ in the ground. I had a liner made to repair the tank after treating the ground under it with copper sulfate to stop future roots! I think you should line concrete tanks with EDPM liners from the start. That way the water is there when you need it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2022 at 09:53 AM

Hi RFClark: Concrete lined with EPDM may be a decent alternative to a walled Rotoplas install to deal with future leaks or cracking. Did they mention what the life expectation of the EDPM might be and how easy was it to install in an existing tank?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2022 at 10:25 AM

A 20 year life expectancy if I remember and plastic strips w/ SS screws to hold up the sides. Just like putting a liner in a waterbed. They sell padding if your tank has a rough bottom or sides.

Here in Todos Santos they line the reservoirs with PVC sheeting to control leaks.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.