Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Restaurant - El Zarape
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 04:45 PM
Restaurant - El Zarape

Hello Nomads. I would like to tell you about a restaurant on the La Paz malecon where my wife and I had dinner last night. El Zarape. It is located on the malecon next to and just beyond the Nuevo Pekin hotel and restaurant. El Zarape has a first floor dining area that is well air-conditioned and an upstairs level that is not air conditioned; but the view of the bay is great on the second level. My wife and I chose to eat on first floor air-conditioned level. They also have outdoor seating in front of the restaurant on the sidewalk.

The menu has mostly traditional Mexican faire, is well varied and has very excellent and varied offerings. The prices are good; not expensive but priced appropriately for the quality that they serve, the furnishings and for its excellent location. The seats, tables, and décor are clean, well maintained, and provide a good ambience. Everything about the restaurant that I witnessed appeared to be organized and efficiently run. The food servers were very attentive, polite and respectful, accommodating, prompt and helpful. Unlike most all other restaurants, the waiters did not vacate the dining area immediately after taking an order. They were present on the floor and always available. That is great and, unfortunately, rare elsewhere.

My wife ordered cheese enchiladas and I ordered beef enchiladas. She had a soft drink and I took advantage of a great deal they offer on margaritas; 2 for $130 MXN. I was not short poured; also rare on the malecon. The drinks were served quickly with complimentary chips and three different salsas. The main course dishes came with 3 enchiladas, a small salad and some rice. The dinners and drinks were served quickly and the food was very hot. The enchiladas were absolutely delicious as they came with a tasty red sauce and sour cream sauce. My wife’s cheese enchiladas were filled with panela cheese; a nice touch instead of the usual softer stringy cheese. For dessert we shared a particularly delicious chocolate cake.

I have to close with some comments on the waiters, Jonathan and Francisco. They were excellent food servers. They provided service that I expect only at places like Palermo’s or Tres Virgenes. They were very polite and attentive, professional and quick with the service as I mentioned above. I guess I just can’t say enough as I am forced to repeat myself in an effort to give them due praise and recognition.

I don’t really like to eat at restaurants as most of them don’t provide good service and good food. It seems to me, whether in La Paz or elsewhere, you get one or the other; rarely both and often neither. I am a good cook. I love to cook. At my house, the meals are always served hot, well prepared, served at once with all the necessary condiments, flatware, napkins and beverages. At my house, great food and great service every time, all the time…no waiting. So, when I encounter a good restaurant, I feel compelled to spread the word.

I strongly recommend El Zarape.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 09:34 PM

MitchMan thanks for taking the time to write a thorough review. I will definitely give them a shot when I get back to La Paz!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 11:45 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=89468#pid1110...

Right next to Tailhunter's is a restaurant called El Zarape.

We have been there twice and knowing us, we shall go twice again before we leave at the end of the month.

Walk in and head for the stairs in the right hand corner. There is a second floor that no one uses!

Go to the balcony and order drinks and people watch until the sunset. I am not quite sure why, but everyone that goes by in a car tends to look up and some wave. One person who was walking took a photo of us.

Amazingly quiet with a good margarita - they have 2 for one margarita specials for 80 pesos which they will join together to make a big one (make sure they get the bill right).

The first time we went, after the sunset, we went back inside where the tables had been set to the side and we danced. and danced some more.

Then we ordered the nachos with chicken for two. It is enough food for 5 or 6 people! Watch the chiles though....ooooh lala they are spicy.

Highly recommend.

[file]36514[/file]

[Edited on 6-7-2022 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
Hello Nomads. I would like to tell you about a restaurant on the La Paz malecon where my wife and I had dinner last night. El Zarape.

Note: El Zarape has been an old standby in La Paz for a lonnng time, with the Malecon location being a relatively recent addition. One would expect solid quality.

Your comment on waiters intrigued me; my allegation for years has been that La Paz wait personal has to be some of the worst in the world, and when an individual actually pays attentionj to his/her customers, scanning the room instead of chatting with co-workers oblivious to that patron choking on the floor or asking for a glass of water-- that individual stands out and deserves a mega-tip. Let them know they're appreciated. :lol:

Yes, my wife and I always remember the Margaritas, good mix and good price.
We had an incedent once with a vendor woman selling us a flower at the outside tables. Gave her a larger than needed bill and she never returned with the change. :( beware......oh, where is the other location?

[Edited on 6-8-2022 by geraldalexander7]

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
Hello Nomads. I would like to tell you about a restaurant on the La Paz malecon where my wife and I had dinner last night. El Zarape.

Note: El Zarape has been an old standby in La Paz for a lonnng time, with the Malecon location being a relatively recent addition. One would expect solid quality.

Your comment on waiters intrigued me; my allegation for years has been that La Paz wait personal has to be some of the worst in the world, and when an individual actually pays attentionj to his/her customers, scanning the room instead of chatting with co-workers oblivious to that patron choking on the floor or asking for a glass of water-- that individual stands out and deserves a mega-tip. Let them know they're appreciated. :lol:

Yes, my wife and I always remember the Margaritas, good mix and good price.
We had an incedent once with a vendor woman selling us a flower at the outside tables. Gave her a larger than needed bill and she never returned with the change. :( beware......oh, where is the other location?

[Edited on 6-8-2022 by geraldalexander7]
Straight up Colima to Mexico and turn left

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.