Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GMRS Baja Regulatory Organization
G-Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2022 at 11:43 PM
GMRS Baja Regulatory Organization

Hola a todos!

What is the deal here on Baja regarding GMRS (like Midland) handheld communications, channels usages, regulations, etc?

Gracias ✌🏻
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 05:52 AM

Hi,

Mexico seems to use the Family Radio Frequencies in the 400Mhz range. Amazon.mx sells them. They don’t seem to sell the dual service radios that include GMRS though. As FRS is license free you shouldn't have a problem with FRS only radios. Where we live San Felipe everyone uses marine band radios for camp to Camp communications including public safety.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 07:22 AM

GMRS is gaining popularity in Baja as a result of SxS users from the US showing up or moving to Baja. Simplex vs Duplex is required because the repeaters that use duplex are near the big cities. I guess San Felipe could use a GMRS repeater. Advantage of GMRS is the use of UHF frequencies and resulting greatly improved distance and clarity. Very few of us old timers are using GMRS in Baja and are still depending on VHF. I have both because of the heavy use in the states.
Cheap handheld radios from Amazon can be programed for FRS, Marine, and VHF if you get the optional programmer.
Rules for a license for GMRS like the US are not applicable in Mexico.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Rules for a license for GMRS like the US are not applicable in Mexico.

I think Mexico has Regulations/rules for GMRS….

And Like in usa, perhaps not much enforcement….

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 04:58 PM

Just my opinion but why waste your time with CB, GMRS or any other radio system. Buy a couple of Baofeng handhelds on Amazon for about $35 each. They work on VHF and UHF. You can lock out the keyboard so the dummy's don't screw it up. Set up what ever frequency you want. They even have a roof mount mag antenna for greater distance. Use em at off road races like SCORE to get the action.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 06:23 PM

Yes they are all inclusive. So it means you get to choose your band.
G-Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2022 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Just my opinion but why waste your time with CB, GMRS or any other radio system. Buy a couple of Baofeng handhelds on Amazon for about $35 each. They work on VHF and UHF. You can lock out the keyboard so the dummy's don't screw it up. Set up what ever frequency you want. They even have a roof mount mag antenna for greater distance. Use em at off road races like SCORE to get the action.

Baofengs are GRMS no?
If Baofangs work on VHF and UHF then others like Midland can also?… They are very similar it seems?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2022 at 10:40 AM

The Baofeng UV-5R is a dual band ham radio (VHF and UHF) which I recommend. The Baofeng G11S and UV-9G are GRMS which is UHF.

All radios have their limitations so what ever works for you is the best.

For off road travels I use a Yaesu 50 watt mobile with a Tram magnetic roof antenna. I normally set it to the lowest power setting which I think is 5-10 watts. I carry several of the handheld Baofeng UV-5R radios for other people to use or if I'm out of the truck hiking.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2022 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Hi,

Where we live San Felipe everyone uses marine band radios for camp to Camp communications including public safety.

It seems like the locals use VHF.

The high wattage GMRS available from Midland do seem nice for communicating in a convoy, but if you need to be able to talk to a rancho/campo/pangero it is marine band VHF.

[Edited on 7-4-2022 by Bwana_John]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-4-2022 at 12:45 PM

I use an ICON M73, water-proof handheld VHF, for on the water (kayak and power boat)..radio is moderate price, so no Biggy if salt water destroys it.

Have tried radios in convoys of vehicles. Usually the handhelds don’t work well inside the cage, and is stupid effort to mount exterior antennas. So cell phones work better. And when outside of cell range, usually it’s remote area and is easy peasy to just stop on road and chit chat in person.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

jwheel1970

[*] posted on 7-4-2022 at 03:54 PM

We use a Yaesu mobile unit that is modified for marine bands - some of our vehicles use the handheld marine style radios, I use my mobile and we can all communicate easily. It is important to get the antenna outside so a handheld isn't always very effective side a car/truck.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 08:06 AM

Question by G-Man:
Baofengs are GRMS no?
Answer:
As you already read Baofengs work on all frequencies, VHF and UHF.
Midland only sells UHF radios for GMRS frequencies.
IMO, don't get Midland for Baja because most of the folks are using VHF.
Or you can buy a HAM or other mobile, dual band (VHF and UHF), with upwards of 80+ watts, or buy the recommended handheld which are around 5 watts. Add an external antenna and improve the 5 Watts somewhat.

Quote: Originally posted by G-Man  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Baofengs are GRMS no?
If Baofangs work on VHF and UHF then others like Midland can also?… They are very similar it seems?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.