Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: supercharged V8 Raptor R
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
If Toyota Pickups with a camper, or a 4x4 mini-motorhome can make it into the Mission, surely a Raptor can??? My Son has a Raptor---they are big-----but not as big as a mini-motorhome?!?!?!?!?

[Edited on 7-14-2022 by Barry A.]

Good observation... maybe Art (edm1) should give Cameron some driving lessons?

He was puling Neal Johns' camper too!

In all fairness, Cameron did get past the Widowmaker and was stopped at the deep dips that are within sight of the mission. He called me from Baja Cactus that evening to give me his report. He was solo and it just wasn't worth the chance should he get hung up.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 03:29 PM

Thanks, David. My Son's Raptor sure has better and more sophisticated suspension than a Hummer, too. It's a dream to ride in even in the rough!!! (-:

Still, that road into Santa Maria Mission is a potential killer-----always amazes me that folks drive in there.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 04:26 PM

It was an interesting drive to the mission. The Jeep Grand Cherokee did not have a locker so it took some trail building etc to get it in and out. bajatrailrider's $1000 bike only has two wheels so it should be a piece of cake to get into and out OK. But it doesn't have a cooler full of beer for the rest stops.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 05:03 PM

I am so grateful that Tom invited me to go with him to Mission Santa María, last March, twenty-three years after my first trip there.
Everything about that road is epic!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 05:56 PM

TIt's a dream to ride in even in the rough!!!

given the the price of a raptor, it better ride like a dream!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Just saw an ad for a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer, starting at $89K. At least the Ford will likely stay together more than a couple years and not sell for peanuts later.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 07:14 PM

https://www.jeep.com/wagoneer/grand-wagoneer.html

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2022 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Just saw an ad for a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer, starting at $89K. At least the Ford will likely stay together more than a couple years and not sell for peanuts later.

John

You gotta be a fool to spend $90k on a car!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 07:36 AM

Goat: A fool and his money are easily parted!

John: If you need something like a Grand Wagoneer, get a Toyota Sequoia or Land Cruiser and have a vehicle that could last even longer than a Ford!

Barry: The Raptors are sweet rides and when modified by Baja HQ, can really rip across the desert... turning money into dust, as Curt Leduc likes to say!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

John: If you need something like a Grand Wagoneer, get a Toyota Sequoia or Land Cruiser and have a vehicle that could last even longer than a Ford!

You gotta be kidding me. Just got back from Wyoming (again!), 225K on the clock of my 2000 V6 3.0 Ranger. My little Ranger has gone everywhere I've needed to go over the last 18 years, and has never let me down. No need to upgrade. The 3.0 Vulcan motor is known to go over 300K with normal maintenance, and I plan to see that and more.

Not to mention, I keep it always in top condition, inside and out. I get compliments all the time on how good it looks for it's age.

John

[Edited on 7-15-2022 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 12:47 PM

Super lucky for you!
I almost bought a Ranger back in 2000... but an onslaught of feedback from the Amigos de Baja, especially Neal Johns, said to buy a Tacoma! When the Ford dealer wouldn't take my van as a trade in, but Toyota Carlsbad would... well, I have been super happy ever since!

Stepson's a mechanic and off road fabricator, who loves Ford, but his 4x4 Ranger sucked...
Poor kid then bought a Jeep Patriot (of all things)... another mistake... so many fixes!
He said he would have bought a Toyota but the price was just too much...

Quality costs, and not having to repair the thing, saves!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 01:20 PM

Cherry picking always gets you a good rig. There are plenty of trucks and cars that are pretty bad to be careful of. The domestic companies have the most misses to choose from.
Lately we see To coma and Tundra loosing favor and replaced by certain Fords. However in the bad days for Fords I had two that were great choices.
Homework give the best results. Pretty easy now days with the Internet.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 01:58 PM

John

You gotta be a fool to spend $90k on a car!

Goat, you gotta look around. My Son paid 43K for his Raptor. It was 2 years old, in great shape, 15,000 miles on it, and the young rich original owner just wanted to get rid of it so his Dad would stop b-tching at him for spending so much money. LOL It's been a dream-truck----very few problems and my Son has had it for 10 years. (and, he is Single, has a great job, and has no debt----LOL)

I bought a 2 year old 1994 Ford F-250, manual tranny, ext. cab, long bed 4x4 for my Baja trips and it too has been a dream. Had to recharge the AC once, and put in a new brake Master Cylinder recently, but that is all that has gone wrong with it in some 26 years and over 60K rough Baja miles.

You gotta be careful when you shop and find great deals.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Just got back from Wyoming (again!), 225K on the clock of my 2000 V6 3.0 Ranger. My little Ranger has gone everywhere I've needed to go over the last 18 years, and has never let me down. No need to upgrade. The 3.0 Vulcan motor is known to go over 300K with normal maintenance, and I plan to see that and more.

John

[Edited on 7-15-2022 by John Harper]

1998-2011 Ford Rangers were built by Mazda. Your 2000 was based on the Mazda B series. A pretty good truck.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 02:32 PM

My dad owned a variety of vehicles.., the earliest I remember was a Chevy station wagon and a Ford Falcon.

Next, he got my mom a Mustang ('66 with the 287 V-8) and he had recently bought a Jeep Wagoneer ('65) with was the great Baja exploring vehicle of my youth.

The second Wagoneer was a 1970 and very problematic so he soon traded it for a big Chevy Suburban 4x4, which he loved but had a defective motor block, so with Highway One being finished, went with a 2WD: Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon.

He loved it and modified it for Baja with an extra fuel tank and adjustable air shocks... It drove about 150 dirt road miles including some of the original Baja 1000 road, as the highway was under construction in '73. That was his last car... served him until he was not able to drive any longer, around 1985.

In Laguna Chapala's dust bowl, next to the new road, July 1973:

I congratulate my dad for getting through the Laguna Chapala dust:

(I am the one with the Dick Cepek Baja Proven shirt on, LOL)

Mom was a great sport and loved going to Baja!

That location after the highway was finished, 2017 photo):

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 05:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

1998-2011 Ford Rangers were built by Mazda. Your 2000 was based on the Mazda B series. A pretty good truck.

Yes, bought it in 2004 for $8000. Pretty hard to convince me spending 10-12 times more today gets me a 10-12 times better truck. But, I'm far from the target market for those trucks. It also helps that I'm a pretty good mechanic and can fix almost any issue that arises.

John

[Edited on 7-19-2022 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 06:32 AM

Yes, bought it in 2004 for $8000. Pretty hard to convince me spending 10-12 times more today gets me a 10-12 times better truck. But, I'm far from the target market for those trucks. It also helps that I'm a pretty good mechanic and can fix almost any issue that arises.

John

[Edited on 7-19-2022 by John Harper]

The early version of the Kia Sportage also used a Mazda light truck engine and drive train until 2002. The only thing that the 2004 and later Sportage shares with the first version is the name!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 12:18 PM

It was an interesting drive to the mission. The Jeep Grand Cherokee did not have a locker so it took some trail building etc to get it in and out. bajatrailrider's $1000 bike only has two wheels so it should be a piece of cake to get into and out OK. But it doesn't have a cooler full of beer for the rest stops.
HAHA dont need beer to do this ride only 45 min on dirt bike :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.