Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mulege Cafe Reviews
calacowboy
Junior Nomad

Mood: wondering....

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 10:25 PM
Loved Mulege

As a first time visitor to Mulege on Easter weekend, I really enjoy reading all the reviews of places to eat and comparing tastes.

We stayed at the Hotel Serenidad and had breakfast and dinner 3 times. The eggs ranchero were great as was the pancakes with a side of banana. I haven?t tasted a banana like that in a long time, what a difference from supermarket fruit up north. Also the French toast was very good, creamy, like it was deep fried. My one disappointment was the pig roast, not terrible, I just expected something more exciting. One of the plus?s of staying at the Serenidad was the fact that they took credit cards, so we charged all of our meals & drinks and the room. The billing was exactly like they said when we got home and checked our card. The rooms there were very nice with a beautiful pool and grounds. Quite a kick for me to watch all the planes fly in and out.

We ate at Meli?s for lunch twice and loved it, fish tacos and scrimp tacos both times, great salsa. Also lunch at Edwardo?s( fish tacos?).

One place I really liked was the ice cream shop around the corner from Edwardo?s , home made ice cream (coconut & pineapple) supposedly made without milk, very tasty.

I have to agree with Pompano about Equipales, we ordered the Lobster dinner on a recommendation from the waiter at the Serenidad, 3 (!) tails on each plate, baked potato, salad, soup, mixed veggies, for 190 pesos. And the service was very good.

I loved Mulege and Concepcion Bay, but was crowded for the holidays. I stayed an extra day waiting for the wind to die down a little so we could go fishing, but was worth it as our guide was great and we caught fish.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 09:12 AM
Serinadad, Meli's, ice cream....

The Serinadad is still a favorite place of ours to go..especially for the bar-b-qued CHICKEN..and the ambiance, folk music, art shows, etc. A nice place full of old memories for us old-times. 'Pig roast' has not been on our list for a couple of years now, though...we like other dishes much better..and love the mariachis and dancing. The rooms are nice and the grounds are beautifully kept, like calacoboy says. We stay every now and then in room 'Coyote'..for nostalgia's sake.

My wife's favorite at the Serinadad is also the pancakes with banana..or the French toast. You have the same taste buds, calaco...

The homemade ice cream you tried is Blanca's...she has been making the good stuff for over 20 years. I have her pour a little chocolate syrup on my vanilla. Down the street is a liquor store on the corner across from the plaza..where you will find a more American-style ice cream..Blue Bunny, I think?....good too, and they have ice-cream bars..the chocolate-coated vanilla kind...like an Eskimo bar.

Easter time is a zoo here in Mulege...come again some other time and avoid the messy crowds. The cafes are real relaxing places then and you can savor your dinner in comfort.

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 09:34 AM

Glad to hear you're moving this way, Brews. I look forward to seeing you down here!

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 12:38 PM
Guide to "Ramon's" carnitas in Mulege.....

BajaJudy...you and some others wanted a clarification on just where 'Ramon's' carnitas cafe is at in Mulege. Be glad to..check out the photo. Go into Mulege..past Pemex..stop sign...straight ahead past little plaza, fire station, tienda Casa Yee..to another little plaza...and there it is on the right.

As you might already know, Ramon passed away not too long ago after a fight with diabetes and other ailments. His son, Antonio, and friend, Lorena run the place now...and the carnitas are as good as ever. They are some of our favorite food treats..and favorite people. A great Saturday morning special...don't miss it!

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Pompano]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:25 PM
I thought Meli's and Dony's....

....were one and the same.

Danny's is the one past the Yee's market, no? I haven't seen Danny's open in my recent trips to Mulege.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:41 PM

yes, you are correcto...Meli is just the owner's name, his cafe is called Dony's. Danny's is open most all the time...maybe closed 1 or 2 days a week. Saturday is his big day, however. I just went by Danny's about an hour ago and he was open for business as usual...I guess you must just have hit his 'closed' days.

I must report on the great pulled pork sandwich I had for lunch today at the Pelicano Bar & Grill. Scrumptuous..and almost too much to eat. Served with crunchy fries..not those soggy buggers...It would have been heaven except for the lack of a cold Pacifico.;D

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:53 PM
If the deletion trick doesn't work.......

....I expect to see you in tights and a cape with a beeg "SN" when I'm down there next week.

All in Mexican Flag colors, of course.

Let's see....I guess your equivalent of kryptonite would be Corona Beer?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 02:08 PM

Thanks Pompano
I had it straight and didnt even know it. Dannys is one of my favorite places in Baja. We eat there almost every time we are in Mulege....Donys/meli's too.
We should be passing by you next week. If I have a chance to get on the internet the day before, maybe we could meet for a cold one and some of those chile rellenos you have been talking about.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 02:14 PM
bajajudy...

you are most welcome anytime, although chile rellenos at JungleJims on Thursday nights is always a treat.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 02:01 PM
Pompano-oops

Guess I was having and old, blond moment(talking about a double whammy)...I missed the Thurs nite part.
Will be in touch if I can.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 10:41 PM

Rogelio...you, of all people, should know that most distinguished rodents prefer Pacifico three-to-one over other Mexican Cerveza...:rolleyes:

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 04:31 PM
rig parking for Mulege restaurants

Would love to try some of these recommendations when we're passing thru Mulege but our previous experiences venturing in to the town proper in a crewcab/camper towing a ute trailer (parking and making 3 point turns on to the tiny side streets) makes us keep going til we get to La Palapa. Would like to try Meli's at least- any parking tips?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by latitude26n
Would love to try some of these recommendations when we're passing thru Mulege but our previous experiences venturing in to the town proper in a crewcab/camper towing a ute trailer (parking and making 3 point turns on to the tiny side streets) makes us keep going til we get to La Palapa. Would like to try Meli's at least- any parking tips?

Park on the Highway at the entrance to town. and walk half a block to Melli's. or git a cab right at the bus stop.

that is the trouble with a big rig you miss seeing Baja.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 05:11 PM

Naw, the trouble is we're not retired yet and still need to drive our "house" down. Someday we'll get to do the exploring in some of the towns but we'll never give up the camper. We've been able to spend time in places we never dreamed of because of it and it's been way worth the occasional inconvenience.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.