Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BCS roadtrip
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 11:40 AM
BCS roadtrip

This past January we decided to leave our motorhome behind in Mulege and do a road trip in south in our Jeep.

We stayed in Loreto with friends for a week at their house in Loreto Bay. Hiked Tabor and Mesquite Canyons. Went up to the mission at at San Javier.

We camped for a week at Agua Verde. What a great spot. The first night our tent was almost blown off the beach and we ended up moving it in the middle of the night to a more protected spot.

We were a little sad to have to leave Agua Verde but we had a reservation in Buena Vista/Los Barriles we couldn't cancel. Los Barriles has really changed since we first starting coming down in the late 90's but Buena Vista turned out to be the land time forgot with it's old school Baja resorts - Rancho Buena Vista, Buena Vista Resort, and Rancho Leonero. We met up with friends camping at the Buena Vista Resort and enjoyed the hot spring fed tub pool along with some great food and company.

Next stop was Todos Santos. We found a cute studio on Airbnb in Las Tunas for a week that was not too far from the beach. Todos Santos feels a bit on the touristy side with overpriced souvenirs and gringofied art galleries but we really loved the miles of open beaches and whale watching.

After Todos Santos we headed back to the East Cape for Cabo Pulmo. We had stayed with Cremin at his hill house in 2014 and had really wanted to get back here. Very tranquil place back up on the hill overlooking the village - https://www.rentalsincabopulmo.com/

Met back up with our Loreto amigos in Adolfo López Mateos for whale watching with Piratas tours. We didn't end up getting to pet any like a couple of years ago but still had plenty of sightings.

We made it back to Mulege with a much dirtier Jeep in time for the Rotary Pig Races.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 11:45 AM

Great photos!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 12:57 PM

Thank you for the trip report and the great photos. Which was your favorite spot? We've been going to Todos Santos for years, but I agree that it's gotten overrun by tourists, some of whom become expats with sprawling McMansions. We're not hikers or campers, but would love to find a quiet place to unwind that's an hour or so from the Los Cabos airport.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Thank you for the trip report and the great photos. Which was your favorite spot? We've been going to Todos Santos for years, but I agree that it's gotten overrun by tourists, some of whom become expats with sprawling McMansions. We're not hikers or campers, but would love to find a quiet place to unwind that's an hour or so from the Los Cabos airport.

Buena Vista or Cabo Pulmo might fit the bill for you. I don't know for how long those places will last like they are now. The big project in La Ribera with the Four Seasons and marina looks to be changing things.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Buena Vista or Cabo Pulmo might fit the bill for you. I don't know for how long those places will last like they are now. The big project in La Ribera with the Four Seasons and marina looks to be changing things.

Thanks for the tip! Based upon your explanation. I was leaning the same way - toward either Buena Vista or Cabo Pulmo. We've been to La Ribera and Los Barriles, but are less familiar with the East Cape than the Todos Santos area.

I remember when George Bergin (a.k.a. "Osprey") lived in La Ribera, monitoring the progress of the Four Seasons. Many attempts to develop the marina had tried and failed, but this seemed different. I miss his friendship terribly, but perhaps it was an act of mercy that he died a little over a year before it opened.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 05:37 PM

Bee-utiful!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 08:16 AM

Thanks for the report and photos. I was just down in Baja Sur for 10 days after 21/2 years away and was stunned by the amount of new houses and development in the Cerritos to La Pastora stretch of coast. Still enjoyed aspects of the area but felt like it is the end of an era especially for El Pescadero. What are the Rotary Pig Races ? Love Mulege and the area , sounds like an event to check out.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 12:54 PM

Great adventures as your pictures show. So much to see..so little time! Lots of discovery left to uncover. TS has become a little too Touristy downtown...Pueblo Magico tag. It was such a trnquil little farming town in 90s/early 2000! Tourists buses and rental cars only 1hr aaway in Cabo. All our little Pueblos are changing. Thanks for sharing!
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 08:01 PM

Great photos! Thanks so much for posting.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 09:18 PM

Wonderful report. We are planning about ten days in our trailer at Auga Verde, can't wait. We love BV and have a freind that has been there for years, she loves it. Your pictures are making me miss baja for sure.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  
Thanks for the report and photos. I was just down in Baja Sur for 10 days after 21/2 years away and was stunned by the amount of new houses and development in the Cerritos to La Pastora stretch of coast. Still enjoyed aspects of the area but felt like it is the end of an era especially for El Pescadero. What are the Rotary Pig Races ? Love Mulege and the area , sounds like an event to check out.

The Pig Races are a long standing fundraiser for the Mulege Rotary causes including their health clinic that provides free dental care to the locals. More info and pics on their website https://mulegerotary.com/events
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 02:35 PM

Other than the brewery, have never really stopped in Mulege until our trip last month. Had breakfast at Doney Mely's. My first real understanding, in a few years, of the difference in pricing between central Baja and San Jose. I think it cost us $8 US for 2 full breakfasts. $20 in San Jose del Cabo if you're lucky.

I guess this gringo, has become ambivalent to the gouging we endure, down the bottom here.

doney.jpg - 24kB

[Edited on 7-19-2022 by DIWR17]

Brewery.jpg - 26kB

[Edited on 7-19-2022 by DIWR17]
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 11:40 AM

Sounds like an awesome trip. Love those pictures. Which place is shown in the 7th picture, after the one with your pup? Is that agua verde?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.