Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: An electric Meyers Manx is coming
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

It had some minor body damage, but was probably as good as this craigslist offering; https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/copperopolis-1969-v...

Yikes! $5000 for an old, undrivable, beat-up bug that doesn't run?

There's one born every minute.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for one.

I had a bug when I was in high school. It’s the only car I have owned that I wish I still had…. Fun to drive, fun to work on.

I just looked around the Inet and folks are asking $10 to $15K for bugs in good shape. They have become collector's items.

I had a 1962 (I think) 1300 cc in college.

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 12:02 PM

It had some minor body damage, but was probably as good as this craigslist offering; https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/copperopolis-1969-v...

I had a bug when I was in high school. It’s the only car I have owned that I wish I still had…. Fun to drive, fun to work on.

I just looked around the Inet and folks are asking $10 to $15K for bugs in good shape. They have become collector's items.

Stupid prices. And Karman ghias and 2CVs go for even higher prices!
I sometimes look for old classic VWs, renaults, Citroens and fiats for chits and grins. Someday I will get a classic econo-car for cheap, just got to keep looking…
Even an 80s le car goes for $15k

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 12:51 PM

The original VW engine was a 1200cc, which was used through 1965. The block was a two piece unit bolted together.

In 1966 a new one-piece casting was used, and the capacity was increased to 1300 cc. The 1967 model (my personal favorite year) the 1500cc was introduced, using the same block as the 66.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 12:54 PM

So it must have been a '66. That makes sense, it was a hand-me-down from my sister. I know it was 1300 cc.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:20 PM

I did buy and install a 'big bore' kit that brought mine up to 1650cc. Friends had rail buggies with 1835cc and 2180cc VW motors.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:32 PM

With the help of a friend who built engines for a living, I built mine to 1600cc with dual port heads and a holly "Bug Spray" two- barrel carburetor.

He installed a slightly hotter cam shaft, and the entire crank, rods and piston assembly was balanced to racing specs. It was an incredibly smooth engine, and sometimes it would pull the front wheels off the ground in first and occasionally shifting to second.

Even with that build, I am not sure I could match the 4.5 second 0-60mph that the electric Manx claims!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:40 PM

The original VW engine was a 1200cc, which was used through 1965. The block was a two piece unit bolted together.

In 1966 a new one-piece casting was used, and the capacity was increased to 1300 cc. The 1967 model (my personal favorite year) the 1500cc was introduced, using the same block as the 66.

IDK, I rebuilt both my 1967 1500cc and 1971 1600cc and they both had split crankcases. The early 1200 (36hp) had the generator pedestal cast integral with one of the case halves, but that went away with the 36hp motor. From the 1200cc 40hp motor on, it was a bolted on pedestal.

I have owned a 1958, 1962 Dune Buggy, 1963, and 1967 bugs and a 1971 van. Used to live and breathe them.

I had 125,000 miles on my 1971 1600cc motor when I sold it. I balanced all the rods and pistons to the same weight. I concur with the smoothness that results.

I recall the Holley "Bug Spray" but never installed one. I did design a dual oil cooler system on the 1971 van, perfect for Baja. Used the stock cooler and another one tapped off the oil pump. I could run all day long in the hottest Baja weather with no issues.

John

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:48 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me. As I said, my friend did the actual bench work, and for all these years I have believed faulty info!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:49 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me. As I said, my friend did the actual bench work, and for all these years I have believed faulty info!

My pleasure! Been a long, long time since I tapped those brain cells.

John
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 01:59 PM

Stupid prices. And Karman ghias and 2CVs go for even higher prices!
I sometimes look for old classic VWs, renaults, Citroens and fiats for chits and grins. Someday I will get a classic econo-car for cheap, just got to keep looking…
Even an 80s le car goes for $15k

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

You think those prices are stupid check out Thing/Safari prices:wow:. I'm glad I got mine back when things were more sane.

My first car was a 67 bug. Since then I've had at least one aircooled vw in my life. 3 bugs, 2 bajas, 1 brasilia, 1 transporter and a thing.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.