BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyramid resort, Popotla, La Fonda Del Rio vs. La Fonda and a man with a welding torch?
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 11:59 AM
Pyramid resort, Popotla, La Fonda Del Rio vs. La Fonda and a man with a welding torch?

We took our trip down to Pyramid Resort over Easter weekend for our One-year wedding anniversary. On our way down to Pyramid we decided to get off the toll road and cruise through Rosarito to check out the young folk and their escapades of Spring Break. It was only 6:00 pm, so it was not in full throttle mode, but you could tell it was going to be a wild night in Rosarito. Lots of police present, but it seemed everyone still to be under control. (Have no report of later in the evening). We were happy to have NOT stayed there, and realized that we are now just older and wiser and ready for a quieter part of the Pacific Coastline. Stopped at La Mission hotel for what seem to be some pretty good $1.50 margueritas. After several, we made it to Pyramid Resort. The resort is just as lovely as we remembered and Keri and Mike?s hospitality excellent as usual. We got a one-bedroom suite with a fireplace. After checking in we went back to town for dinner. Per recommendation of Keri, we went to La Fonda Del Rio (next to La Fonda). We did not really want a big dinner, but that is what we got, along with beautiful atmosphere and a single Senor, strumming the guitar, it was just what the doctor ordered! Chris had quail and I had enchiladas. More food than we needed but we managed and everything was wonderful (except I did not care for the rosemary rice too much). The restaurant was really nice and we enjoyed ourselves. After dinner it was back to resort. The night was relaxing with the fireplace a glow and cold cervazas in our suite. Quiet and cozy, just how we like it, at least for an anniversary weekend!!
Saturday we were off on a quest to find a coffee table for our living room. We were told that closer to Rosarito we were sure to find something. So, first things first, and after going to La Mission Hotel and being told the wait would be extensive, we opted to go back to La Fonda del Rio, the signed donned an inviting ?breakfast special $3.00?. We sat on the outside patio and watched the families camping at KM 58, along with the many surfers scattered throughout the waves. Breakfast was wonderful coffee, machaca and chorizo and eggs, warm tortillas and beautiful weather. The wait, well, lets just say, ?We knew we were in Baja?. We were not in a hurry and enjoyed the view. After breakfast we were off to find our elusive coffee table.
For months, we have been looking for a 32? coffee table to fit in our sectional couch. They seem to be rather hard to find. We drove north up the coast, past Puerto Nuevo, Califia and other familiar spots and parked by Foxploration. We meandered in and out of small establishments looking at wares and searching for our coffee table. Several craftsmen offered to make us something in a week?s time, but we found nothing close to our specifications anywhere. Almost ready to give up, we stop at one more wrought iron shop and I wait in the car as Chris asks the proprietor about our need for a 32? coffee table. Through the wrought iron that would be called his shop, I see ?Julio?; I would later know his name to be, drawing on a white board, the beginnings of what will later become our coffee table. Intrigued, I get out and Chris tells me, for $50 and an hour, he?ll make us one. We?ll, we knew that was a ?Mexican? hour, but it was clear, he was willing to work with us, and fulfill our needs. After a short brainstorming session, we had drew up the plans, for a coffee table and end table and we left Julio to start our creation.
Chris and I headed for Popotla. I am not sure if that is the name of the lobster village or not, I think it?s the towns name. But this is the Mexican lobster village that Chris had heard others on the Nomad board, speaking of. We were not really hungry, but went down to check it out. We always love a road we have never been down. The road, which runs directly parallel with the south wall of Foxploration, is narrow, and people were parked on both sides of the street, after a very short ways, we decided to park at the entrance, and walk. The possibly of getting blocked in were pretty good. The wall was adorned with ?Mexican barbed wire? shards of glass placed on the top of the wall, to deter intruders. There were also so half done murals along the wall to the sea. The village itself bustled with activity. There were lots of fish to be eaten and lobster, of course. Because it was Semanta Santa the Mexican families were out in droves, to enjoy the village and the seaside. We sat on a restaurant patio, overlooking the beach filled with children and adults alike, fishing, clamming and swimming, and drank our Pacificos. The rest of the afternoon consisted of checking in on our table progress and drinking more $1.50 margueritas. At 6:00 we brought cervazas and headed back to Palmex, Julio?s shop, for a final check on the tables. We visited with Julio as he worked, met his teenage son, and drank a few cervazas. Then we left Julio to finish our project and promised to be back the next morning at 9:00 to pick them up.
Off to dinner, we went to La Fonda, as suggested by many. Arrived at the restaurant and then seated, we were told ?no lobster?! They were out! I could not believe it. How can they be out of lobster??? Well, that was a deal breaker so back to La Fonda Del Rio we went. Everything was wonderful as we expected, same great atmosphere and the lobster was wonderful. We asked for it ?Puerto Nuevo? style, and they obliged after suggesting that it may dry the lobster out. I still wanted it ?fried?; I can get boiled lobster at home! Dinner was excellent and reflecting on the day?s activities, we felt happy that the day was so enjoyable, but alas, we were in Baja, there are no bad days in Baja!
Easter morning, up early to try to beat the traffic back across the border. We drive to Julio?s and pick up finished tables. They were exactly as we had hoped! He did a great job, for a fair price. We were glad to give him our business. We said our goodbyes and Julio gave us directions to the Otay Mesa border. We stopped at an American owned restaurant called ?Fuentes? I believe. Not certain if that was the name, might have been ?La Fuentes?. In any case, the breakfast was excellent and the restaurant was clean and brightly decorated. We will remember it for trips in the future.
Directions to the border, did not really help, but we managed to make it through Tijuana via the free road and to the Otay Mesa border without getting lost (that?s a first!) Another first, it took us 12 minutes to cross the border on Easter Sunday!! It was the perfect ending to a perfect ?short? trip to Baja!
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 12:01 PM
view from Pyramid resort

Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 12:02 PM
Popotla Semanta Santa celebrating...

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 12:03 PM

I'm jealous, wish I could go.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 12:46 PM
Was Julio across from Fox Studios?

Which end of the row of stores? North, south, middle?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 01:03 PM

Julio's shop is called Palmex and it is north of Fox Studios(right past where the road goes to three lanes for short time) he is on the east side of the road.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 05:53 PM

Great report Denise!!!

The 'lobster village' is Puerto Nuevo a bit south of Popotla... but the restaurants that serve lobster in the area are all about the same.

Are you guys coming to the Pyramid book signing on April 23? Hope to see you then!

The report on the newer La Fonda sound grreat.... I will take Elizabeth there:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 09:14 PM

David,
I know where Puerto Nuevo is. I was just referring to the seaside village at Popotla as the "Mexican Puerto Nuevo" as there are many places to eat and drink, lobster being a specialty, but there are not many Americans and the like, that visit Popotla. We went there instead of the hustle and bustle of tourists at Puerto Nuevo. Just a little more Mexican culture in Popotla. We enjoyed it a lot. Check out the line of cars going in to Puerto Nuevo, that Saturday night, it was a Baja traffic jam!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 09:23 PM

OK, understand... this is the line that had me think the other way: "Chris and I headed for Popotla. I am not sure if that is the name of the lobster village or not, I think it?s the towns name."

Wow, that photo sure would keep me away from Puerto Nuevo!

I remember when almost nobody knew the place until Tom Miller wrote about it, 20 years ago. Then a big 7 Up bottle painted sideways on a wall was how you found the entrance road!!!

Thanks again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagato
David,
I know where Puerto Nuevo is. I was just referring to the seaside village at Popotla as the "Mexican Puerto Nuevo" as there are many places to eat and drink, lobster being a specialty, but there are not many Americans and the like, that visit Popotla. We went there instead of the hustle and bustle of tourists at Puerto Nuevo. Just a little more Mexican culture in Popotla. We enjoyed it a lot. Check out the line of cars going in to Puerto Nuevo, that Saturday night, it was a Baja traffic jam!

There is even another seafood village just north of Medio Camino. VERY rustic but the seafood/lobster is fresh. Prices are less than Puerto Nuevo. Gringos don't go there.;D

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 12:54 PM

Quote:

There is even another seafood village just north of Medio Camino. VERY rustic but the seafood/lobster is fresh. Prices are less than Puerto Nuevo. Gringos don't go there.;D

I have seen that area and always figured it to be where the locals go for lobster as they probably cant afford PN! It's roughness around the edges (to say the least) keeps my wife away, and so I am left wondering.....

Have you eaten there Dave? Believe the main restaurant has the name of a woman on it if we are thinking of the same area.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.