Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proposed Cross-border Hiking Route
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 07:07 PM
Proposed Cross-border Hiking Route

An interesting concept, though I don't imagine anything will come of it. A route of dirt roads seems more suitable to off-highway vehicles than to hiking. It seems that an international pedestrian border crossing would have to be created to connect hiking trails. There is no mention of that obstacle to the proposal.

https://ref.uabc.mx/ojs/index.php/ref/article/view/1028

Abstract
"The proposal organization of an open hiking trail in Baja California (BC) is proposed to articulate the different particular offers of tourism, some linked to the United States, within the network of rural roads that link BC from La Rumorosa, until arrival at Valle de Guadalupe. It is assumed that it is the transboundary context that generates sources of demand, but also the growing influence of the new paradigms that promote sustainable regional development. The definition of the route is in a qualitative-descriptive approach with different data collection instruments, such as routes, measurements and questionnaires. At least five spaces that are serving foreign and border populations were detected (El Topo, El Sausalito, Bethel, Escuela de Energía Solar, La Ponderosa), which by promoting them within an articulated scheme of social business, can generate a dynamic of regional growth."

[/url]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 07:17 PM

Thanks, interesting!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 07:26 AM

Essentially a smuggling route. Ludicrous vis a vis "growing influence of the new paradigms that promote sustainable regional development."
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 07:39 AM

I wonder why they didn't just extend the PCT south from the border? It looks like the Rumorosa Trail is quite a bit to the east.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 08:23 AM

I have seen some area where trail networks have been focus of tourism development. For example, Look at Tahoe, Moab, crested butte, and areas in Switzerland and Spain.

Here is an article today about a trail being developed in nor cal:
‘We have to remake ourselves’: Can a new trail help revive this crest of the Sierra? https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-14/new-hiki...

It is an interesting idea. Mtn bikers would be a good audience. Credit card touring by bike can be fun, is popular in some areas. The trails need to be aesthetically pleasing, trails need to be exciting, so need good tourist amenities, and need to get rid of mechanized off-roaders that ruin trails with dust/erosion. Nothing ruins mtn biking single track like motorized vehicles.

There are some awesome mtn biking destination areas — not sure north baja mtns are conducive, really need to be special to compete, so got to create really special trails, develop a entities that bikers want…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:32 AM

Not that it has anything to do with Baja, but that project is in my part of the state. I can agree that motorcycles should be restricted from using the trails (there are plenty of other places to ride them) but what about e-bikes?

I can understand resentment from healthy, fit mountain bikers, but banning battery assisted bikes would deny access to public lands by people like me that have physical limitations.

I am not in bad shape for being 75, but my hip, knee, and cardio output are not up to an endurance ride.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:38 AM

There are already plenty of well-used cross-border "hiking trails" in the La Rumorosa area. Most frequently used at night.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
There are already plenty of well-used cross-border "hiking trails" in the La Rumorosa area. Most frequently used at night.

Precisely why I would not want to use any trails in that area by day, or night!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Precisely why I would not want to use any trails in that area by day, or night!

Don’t think the paper suggests the trails are currently desirable to use. The paper clearly says trail-based tourism would involve a development process.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:05 PM

Agree, why not just extend the PCT to CABO? I would give it a try. Or do the Baja divide, then ditch the bike and start walking..

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.