BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anyone in Baja have low CFE bill ?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-25-2022 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
No choice but to live off the grid! No CFE around here! What do you have in the way of machine tools that require 3 phase 480 VAC. You fabricating shrimp trawlers?

Lincoln Precision Tig 275 welder, Haas CNC mill, Sheldon R 17 lathe, Cleereman DC 25 drilling machine, Bridgeport Mill, Omax Waterjet, Kaeser Aircenter, Kalamazoo horizontal band saw, sand blaster. Not gonna run any of that off batteries.

There is still a need for things to be made, sometimes even tree huggers need stuff the sun and wind can't provide.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-25-2022 at 06:21 PM

Bajazly,

Nice! How ever did you get all that stuff to San Felipe? Usually when i need stuff fabricated I go to the welding/machine shop with the old 4X4 parked in the driveway. They do good work but lack a real mill. Do you do outside work?

I wouldn’t try to run that off of solar or CFE, probably use a 75-100 KW diesel MG set.

[Edited on 8-26-2022 by RFClark]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2022 at 10:45 AM

Bajazly,

Nice! How ever did you get all that stuff to San Felipe? Usually when i need stuff fabricated I go to the welding/machine shop with the old 4X4 parked in the driveway. They do good work but lack a real mill. Do you do outside work?

I wouldn’t try to run that off of solar or CFE, probably use a 75-100 KW diesel MG set.

[Edited on 8-26-2022 by RFClark]

When I sold my business several years back, I got to keep all my "hobby shop" stuff I collected over the years and convinced them they really didn't need the small waterjet either.

Bought a container and a chassis, packed everything in it then trucked it down to Calexico where a friend who knew some people got it down to SF for me.

After dealing with CFE for a bit I did consider scraping that plan and getting a generator but I was kind of at the point on no return with CFE and it didn't make sense, well, good sense anyway. With diesel purchase, storage and upkeep on the ginny seemed like it could get a bit spendy and painful. I am paying average about $90 per month right now and the whole system from poles a block and a bit away into the shop was about 15K.

As of right now I don't have the waterjet running but I'm starting to get pretty motivated to get on that. The biggest barrier there is I need an 8 to 10 tonne chiller for both cooling the pump and input water to the intensifiers but just haven't looked very hard at getting one yet.

And yes, I will do whatever comes around, been doing metal fab for 35 plus years mostly in stainless and aluminum but most recently in steel primarily for desert racing/offroad use.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2022 at 11:06 AM

Bajazly,

I have a 2 ton water cooler (new old stock) sitting in my garage in San Felipe. I also have a large air compressor that’s a Ford V8 with 4 cylinders as the compressor.

Currently I need a ceiling mount vent hood about 30” X 48” (SS) for an island gas range discharge up through a flat concrete ceiling.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2022 at 11:45 AM

Bajazly,

I have a 2 ton water cooler (new old stock) sitting in my garage in San Felipe. I also have a large air compressor that’s a Ford V8 with 4 cylinders as the compressor.

Currently I need a ceiling mount vent hood about 30” X 48” (SS) for an island gas range discharge up through a flat concrete ceiling.

Are you up this way now or soon or are you down south for good now?

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2022 at 05:54 PM

B,

We’re down south for a few more days, be there 9/12 - 13. We’re at KM 46. We sold the house. We still have a small place with a big garage next door.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2022 at 08:26 AM

Let me know when you get up here and we could meet up if you want, I'm always around.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2022 at 07:01 PM

OK!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2022 at 08:41 AM

Bajazly, that's some nice hobby gear to have access too! Would love to check it out next time I'm in SF, I'll buy the beer! I'm building a 46 Chevy truck now but have built several jeeps. Never had cool tools like that.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2022 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Bajazly, that's some nice hobby gear to have access too! Would love to check it out next time I'm in SF, I'll buy the beer! I'm building a 46 Chevy truck now but have built several jeeps. Never had cool tools like that.

No prob. Let me know when you're around and stop in, I'm generally always around.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-29-2022 at 02:49 PM

[rquote]
My PG&E bill this month was $37.15 for electricity, and $8.54 for natural gas.
AKgringo[/rquote]

I guess you are conservative, AK. My summer PG&E bill was running over $300 a month before I bought a solar system.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-29-2022 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBruno  
[rquote]
My PG&E bill this month was $37.15 for electricity, and $8.54 for natural gas.
AKgringo[/rquote]

I guess you are conservative, AK. My summer PG&E bill was running over $300 a month before I bought a solar system.

My bill would have been $22 more if I did not apply for the CARE discount. What is surprising is that this is an old house built in the late 30s, and added onto twice in the 50s as our family grew. There is no insulation in the walls!

The main body of the house is lath and plaster inside and out with a large masonry chimney and faced with petrified wood. Thermal mass takes a long time to heat up, or cool down, but with the active management of air flow (sort of on or off switch using windows and doors) the temperature is partially stabilized.

I don't have air conditioning, and although the house has a natural gas forced air furnace, I choose to heat with a wood stove conversion of the fireplace. My winter bill is about the same as summer.

The biggest energy hogs I have are the electric clothes dryer, and the ancient refrigerator that runs way too often. I live alone, and shade trees help take the heat off of the plaster walls during parts of the day.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.