Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving to La Ventana
Jdesey
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:15 PM
Driving to La Ventana

I am a male driving by myself. I’ve read all the advice or not driving at night. Other than that is it safe? Do they have the equivalent of rest stops somewhere that I can stop and sleep for maybe till sunrise?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:21 PM

I wouldn't spend the night anyplace where there is no one else around. Know where you're going to spend the night and get there before sunset.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Jdesey
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:25 PM

Yes I just saw on another forum that things are getting weird again. I guess there’s a curfew in place and increased military presence. It sounds like it’s getting dangerous again to go to Baja.

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by Jdesey]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:37 PM

The closest thing to rest stops would be some of the former road construction sites, but they will have no amenities. I travel solo with a dog, and have found places to get off the road for the night pretty much the length of the peninsula.

If you have four wheel drive and wide, soft tires, your options are greatly increased. What are you driving?

For me, the worst time to drive is right at sunset when the sun is low enough to make it hard to see oncoming traffic, or for them to see you!

Nothing is risk free on a long drive, but I feel safe enough that I am eager to go again! When do you plan to go?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:47 PM

I've spent a few nights in my camper parked at PEMEX stations. Restrooms and coffee in the morning. Los Pinos south of San Quintin is a good one.

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 07:57 PM
I.F.A. rest stops

I Follow Arroyos sometimes to find places that are near, but out of sight of the road system.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jdesey  
Yes I just saw on another forum that things are getting weird again. I guess there’s a curfew in place and increased military presence. It sounds like it’s getting dangerous again to go to Baja.

No rest stops in Baja and Pemex could work. Plan your route.

I'd avoid TJ. If you are having second thoughts about travel based on the bad press in TJ, listen to your gut. Don't go.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 10:36 PM

I am a male driving by myself. I’ve read all the advice or not driving at night. Other than that is it safe? Do they have the equivalent of rest stops somewhere that I can stop and sleep for maybe till sunrise?

Hotels are cheap. Just get a hotel room.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2022 at 04:02 AM

Typically, driving from the border is 2 nights sleep, or about 24 hours driving time to LV. There are hotels that have gated parking, it's best not to leave the car unattended with gear exposed that can be stolen but, in gated parking it is more safe. If you have a bed in the car best to sleep in the car with your stuff.

Search the forms for hotel recommendations, typically stops are San Felipe or Gonzonga camping, Rice and Beans San Ignacio dinner at the restaurant, Guerrero Negro Cowboy hotel dinner at Malarimo, plenty of camp spots en route - do your research by searching the forum for hotels plan to drive 6-8 or 10 hours maximum per day and know a few options for places to stay at your destination.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2022 at 06:09 AM
Baja Highway 1 Rest Stop (Parador) History

Rest stops with air-conditioned lounges, a cafeteria, restrooms and showers, gas stations, and trailer parks, were built to serve the travelers when the highway was completed. They were called 'paradors'; located at San Quintín, Cataviña, L.A. Bay junction (called 'Parador Punta Prieta'), Paralelo 28° (Eagle Monument/ State Border) near Guerrero Negro, and San Ignacio.

As things change with time, most of the paradors faded away:

Parador San Quintín had the misfortune of the highway moving away from it. It is abandoned and now along the paved side road to Hotel Misión Santa María and Cielito Lindo.

Parador Cataviña lounge is now a nice market next to the newly remodeled but still unopened gas station. A town grew from this parador where there was nothing before.

Parador Punta Prieta failed to stay in business due to bad management of the gas station there and remote location.

Parador Paralelo 28° rest area was in the lobby of the hotel. The trailer park is next door and the gas station is on the opposite side of the eagle monument.

Parador San Ignacio gas station is still there but the cafeteria and lounge is now a storage building or put to some other use.

There was also a mini-parador at San Agustin (gas station and trailer park). As at Cataviña and Punta Prieta paradors, the gas station failed to remain open but the trailer park tried to hang on and lasted many years more. A big problem for central Baja gas stations was the lack of banks, labor, and security.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2022 at 06:18 AM

I used Coco's Corner as a rest stop a couple of times when he was at the location on the old road. He offered me a spot to stay at his new spot last November, but I wanted to be a little further away from the highway.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2022 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

No rest stops in Baja and Pemex could work. Plan your route.

I'd avoid TJ. If you are having second thoughts about travel based on the bad press in TJ, listen to your gut. Don't go.

PEMEX stations work if you're on the move in an RV. Pull in around sunset, park in the back or off to the side, let the folks know you're staying overnight. In the morning, coffee, maybe some food, restrooms, gas up and move on.

It takes about 15 or 20 minutes to get to the toll road to Ensenada once you cross the border in TJ. It's all highway, no stops until the first toll booth. No problems. But, when going northbound you have to know the turns, otherwise, it's a TJ adventure.

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by SFandH]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-23-2022 at 02:01 AM
charlie_brown

[*] posted on 8-31-2022 at 04:46 AM

so how are things this week? driving this labor day weekend from SD through TJ to coyote cals, then to san quintin then back. mostly on the beach/dirt but concerned mostly of TJ??

also, if no on has heard yet, coco passed away yesterday 8/30/2022.

maybe his brother will kinda take over his place since he lives only a few miles away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-31-2022 at 04:59 AM

If it were me, I would cross Mexicali, stop-over in San Ignacio. The Yurts at San Ignacio Springs close the gate at night.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-31-2022 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Rest stops with air-conditioned lounges, a cafeteria, restrooms and showers, gas stations, and trailer parks, were built to serve the travelers when the highway was completed. They were called 'paradors'; located at San Quintín, Cataviña, L.A. Bay junction (called 'Parador Punta Prieta'), Paralelo 28° (Eagle Monument/ State Border) near Guerrero Negro, and San Ignacio.

As things change with time, most of the paradors faded away:

Parador San Quintín had the misfortune of the highway moving away from it. It is abandoned and now along the paved side road to Hotel Misión Santa María and Cielito Lindo.

Parador Cataviña lounge is now a nice market next to the newly remodeled but still unopened gas station. A town grew from this parador where there was nothing before.

Parador Punta Prieta failed to stay in business due to bad management of the gas station there and remote location.

Parador Paralelo 28° rest area was in the lobby of the hotel. The trailer park is next door and the gas station is on the opposite side of the eagle monument.

Parador San Ignacio gas station is still there but the cafeteria and lounge is now a storage building or put to some other use.

There was also a mini-parador at San Agustin (gas station and trailer park). As at Cataviña and Punta Prieta paradors, the gas station failed to remain open but the trailer park tried to hang on and lasted many years more. A big problem for central Baja gas stations was the lack of banks, labor, and security.

let's not forget Parador Vizcaino - today part of the Pemex gas station
the typical shape RV park is next door (north)

parador.jpg - 200kB

Harald Pietschmann

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.