BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The desert is going to get green!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 08:47 AM
The desert is going to get green!

Mother nature sent Javier to visit Baja, and is going to give birth to Kay shortly. If Kay follows Javier, parts of the desert are going to get a lot more water than normal and things should start sprouting new growth and flowers.

Unfortunately, that could raise hell with some of my favorite roads! I will be heading south to Todos Santos in two weeks, and will report on what conditions I encounter on some of the back roads.

In the meantime, (after the next storm) I would love to hear from some of you who get there before me. Two of the roads that I plan to drive are from B.O.L.A. south through El Arco, and one of the routes from San Ignacio to San Juanico.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 08:57 AM

Bring a tree saw, shovel and pry bar.
Have fun, Lionel :cool:
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 09:16 AM

The current forecast track shows Kay making landfall on the Pacific side of Baja. :O

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 06:10 PM

It's a green jungle with standing pools of water and rivers flowing, roads are destroyed, huge portions missing from carretera and pueblo vados are impassable in some spots, dangerous rocks across the roads. Many cars were lost in the floods this week in Santa Rosalia, La Paz, and Mulege.

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/danos-por-tormenta-javier-arrastr...

[Edited on 9-5-2022 by gnukid]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 07:35 PM

I was driving backroads a few weeks after Odile wiped out so many roads. The main roads needed so much of the available repair crews that secondary roads were a challenge long after the storm had passed.

The steeper grades were the last things to get any attention. I had a lot of fun on that trip!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 08:07 PM

It's so green now, much more green than Odile, we've had days and days of rain, multiple days of over 5 inches a day, but dispersed, some people got no rain, it's unbearably humid, most of my pictures are of flooding pools and rivers of rain but today was sunny and green filling in every roadside and arroyo as far as you can see, flowers, cows and goats are happy, cars broken down on the roadside sunk in or destroyed tires, schools and outdoor food carts and palapas are shut and Kay will likely hit Tuesday/Wednesday.

The arroyo filled a mile wide and broke through the dunes of La Bocana in La Turquesa, Punta Arena, it's fun to see but dangerous because of the deep holes and collapsed roadsides.

There are tons and tons of birds, bugs and loud desert frogs that apparently burrow and hibernate for months or years?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiBF01LAqLt/?

[Edited on 9-5-2022 by gnukid]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2022 at 10:50 AM

While it looks like Baja might be spared a direct hit from Kay, it still promises to be a super-soaker.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.