Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15
Author: Subject: Container Home Construction Rancho Nuevo BCS
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2023 at 10:01 AM

Hot water tends to scale out calcium carbonate very rapidly above 120 degrees F and then scaling goes parabolic at temperatures above that. This just happens to be the minimum temperature to prevent enhanced biological growth of legionella and others in hot water tanks. For that reason alone you will save a lot in maintenance if you can feed any AC or dehumidifier produced water to your hot water tanks. As I understand you are already collecting AC water to storage, maybe directing it to the hot water feed would be a benefit if you are using well water?

Mexicans don't seem to mind warm water and the associated risks, but years ago CDC came up with these warnings:
https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/wmp/overview/growth-and-sprea...

[Edited on 12-15-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-15-2023 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
I have asked about topes at community meetings and have been told by those in charge that Mexico has rules about the placement of topes. Their use for residential speed reduction isn’t a choice.

i see topes all the time on unpaved roads, and from appearances they are homemade by locals residents. if i were you, i would build the topes and forget about asking for permission.

i am a fan of the topes made of thick rope. sometimes you can find thick rope on the beach (hawser), or sold as scrap. the 4-in dia. stuff will make people slow down.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2023 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We are currently running 3 refrigerators.

Have a great Holiday Season and a Happy new Year!

The Clarks

RFC: I gotta ask, 3 refers is a lot. Is one of those a freezer?

And back at ya for Holiday cheers.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-15-2023 at 04:33 PM

We’re running a large French Door refer/freezer, small refer under coffee bar upstairs and a 12V auto refer/freezer as an overflow freezer for the holidays.

I have seriously considered building a walk in cold room. I just haven't found a door yet.

We have a committee that decides things like that. (Street improvements) I’m not on that committee either. What could I know? We live in a bread box! Making bread now, smells great.

[Edited on 12-15-2023 by RFClark]

Dining Rm Holiday layout

IMG_3433.jpeg - 199kB

[Edited on 12-15-2023 by RFClark]

IMG_4858.jpeg - 325kB

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by RFClark]

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2023 at 05:05 PM

I worried about that too, but with 4 people not a problem. We still have a lot of stuff to put on the walls.

I have a theory that having foam panels behind the cement walls actually helps with the sound. Even without the table and Chairs the room wasn’t real live.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2023 at 02:35 PM

It occurred to me that I hadn’t yet reported on how the engineered passive climate control features have performed.

As stated earlier we have a dust control problem. Climate control starts with an area of tall grass along the west and south side of our house. During the day the prevailing wind is usually from the ocean. The side of our house facing the beach has ground level double-pane doors and windows to allow in air flow.

The exterior walls are insulated cement painted with white heat reflective paint. The walls themselves have a low thermal mass as compared to cement block walls. The interior lower floor is poured concrete over crushed rock. Our ground temperature is such that the floor is always a comfortable temperature.

The air primarily enters from the south end flows north over the exposed concrete floor exiting up the 5’ X 5’ stairwell to the 2nd floor.

The 2nd floor has 4 large double-pane windows along the inland facing wall and 2 more windows on the south wall. The walls are white painted insulated cement the same as the downstairs. All of the upstairs windows have exterior storm shutters that serve as sun shades when open. The upstairs windows have interior roller shades and insulated curtains to control lighting and temperature. There are a pair of exterior double doors next to the stair-well to allow additional air flow into the 2nd floor.

In the evening after sunset the wind first stops then reverses to come from the inland side of the house. The ventilation flow reverses direction with cool air entering the 2nd floor windows flowing down the stairwell warming the concrete with its collected heat and exiting through the door and windows.

This passive cycle has worked most days since October without much additional heating or cooling with excellent air exchange and humidity levels.

The operating costs have been minimal. Security, water and road maintenance being the major expense. Internet/phone being second. Fideicomiso and taxes coming in third. Gas being fourth though very low. The solar system generates all the power required including up to 10KW a day to operate our PHEV 40 miles.

As we move into Winter we’ll see if any additional heating is required and report back.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2023 at 05:37 PM

We are finding it to be an exceptionally warm early winter(fall?) this year, so are running the AC a bit more than usual. Still finding it doesn't tax the solar much tho as we get into the next days solar gain at above 50% SOC on lithium batteries after making breakfast. No insulation, all cement block, indoor temps ranging from 22 to 24 celsius.

Wish we too had an EV to disperse the extra solar availability during the afternoons, as we spend a lot of time floating after batts are fully charged around 12 until 4pm when solar yield falls off. Still no need for generators, so we test run every 6 months.

[Edited on 12-18-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 03:18 PM
Interesting Baja Nomad Ad for Concrete Panels

From the ad.

“Our DIY Panel is thinner than Urban Concrete’s standard panel line creating an even lighter and super simplified install.”

We used Mexican made Concrete Panels in our project.

https://www.urbanconcretedesign.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoIj_8...

IMG_4880.jpeg - 257kB
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 09:55 PM
Durock Cement panels

Walkerts,

We used the cement panels in a number of exterior and interior applications. We have both conventional block and steel exterior walls covered with closed cell foam with foil on both sides.

The exterior concrete panels are attached with screws and covered with SS mesh to support the cement coating. The interior walls are covered with rigid foam panels or cement panels and SS mesh again covered with cement.

It’s a little difficult to compare the 2 methods because generally block construction isn’t insulated. Exterior it’s probably about as fast as cement on block and interior it’s faster and better than conventional drywall. It’s definitely less of a mess as there is very little sanding and cement is waterproof. The acoustics seem better than drywall as well.

You, anyone is welcome to visit and see the results. We’re usually here M2M me to make arrangements.

[Edited on 1-23-2024 by RFClark]

IMG_2395.jpeg - 98kB

IMG_2304.jpeg - 337kB

IMG_3836.jpeg - 334kB

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 07:00 PM

I used that cement board as the walls of my small shop building. FYI it didn't require any mesh to plaster over with cement plaster- I applied it directly onto the board.
It's stuck on just fine, for 7 or 8 years now. Exterior wall, with sun beating on it and rain.

[Edited on 1-24-2024 by surabi]
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.