Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Drive
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 11:47 AM
Baja Drive

Arrived in Todos yesterday. Crossed Mexicali East on Sunday morning.

A few rock falls that were close to the road, but not impeding progresss. Roads were pretty good until ~ 1/2 hour south of Guerrero Negro, right at Ganjas Elizabeth. About 3.5 miles with a couple of on the pavement/off the pavement (mostly off) sections. Santa Rosalia is in pretty good shape, but the road just North of town has about a mile that is one lane good pavement and one lane of old. A few crews working here and there, but mostly back in pretty good shape.

Checkpoints were pretty standard fair. Only the one south of San Felipe was unmanned. The one south of San Ignacio was doing the 'gamma ray' scan which makes them alternate North and Southbound. We passed out Christmas candy which made everyone happy. San Ignacio was pretty thorough and kept asking where I had my weed. He dug around the center console (got really excited to find a paper bag, but disappointed when it only had an empanada in it), and went through a couple of bags. I just hung close and kept engaging in conversation. Told him there was no weed on board. He also asked about guns - Guess I look tougher in San Ignacio than other places where it was just a quick chat/glance in the windows and a wave after we gave them treats.

The desert is green and lots of stuff in bloom. Many pretty purple flowers to the North, made some of the hills look purple and you get flashes of color as you drive. Don't forget to look around and enjoy the trip.
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
San Ignacio was pretty thorough and kept asking where I had my weed.

Pretty funny; what did he call it?

I must be doing something wrong: the authorities have never mentioned weed to me. :saint:

Even DK, who looks about as square as they come (well, these days rotund), has tales of being accused.

He went through the list - Marijuana, weed, pot, ganja. Kept asking.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 12:58 PM

Arrived in Todos yesterday. Crossed Mexicali East on Sunday morning.

A few rock falls that were close to the road, but not impeding progresss. Roads were pretty good until ~ 1/2 hour south of Guerrero Negro, right at Ganjas Elizabeth. About 3.5 miles with a couple of on the pavement/off the pavement (mostly off) sections. Santa Rosalia is in pretty good shape, but the road just North of town has about a mile that is one lane good pavement and one lane of old. A few crews working here and there, but mostly back in pretty good shape.

Checkpoints were pretty standard fair. Only the one south of San Felipe was unmanned. The one south of San Ignacio was doing the 'gamma ray' scan which makes them alternate North and Southbound. We passed out Christmas candy which made everyone happy. San Ignacio was pretty thorough and kept asking where I had my weed. He dug around the center console (got really excited to find a paper bag, but disappointed when it only had an empanada in it), and went through a couple of bags. I just hung close and kept engaging in conversation. Told him there was no weed on board. He also asked about guns - Guess I look tougher in San Ignacio than other places where it was just a quick chat/glance in the windows and a wave after we gave them treats.

The desert is green and lots of stuff in bloom. Many pretty purple flowers to the North, made some of the hills look purple and you get flashes of color as you drive. Don't forget to look around and enjoy the trip.

the km 77 checkpoint is west of San Ignacio - not south

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 01:20 PM

I must be doing something wrong: the authorities have never mentioned weed to me. :saint:

Even DK, who looks about as square as they come (well, these days rotund), has tales of being accused.

Can't put a square peg in a round hole. I'm not shy that at 65 I have extra pounds (I am in the process of losing them, down almost 20 lbs from my highest weight! How about you, where are your photos? People in glass houses should not throw stones... ha ha ha!

Yes, it was July 2015 when the military insopector (highest ranking of the few there) P-nched some floor mat dirt (from the bottom of my shoes) and lit it with a cigarette lighter... smelled it and claimed 'marijuana'... Rediculous, I'm no hippie! LOL

This guy would not give up, my wife was peeed... the other soldiers looked embarressed. We invited him to go ahead and search all he wanted to. After looking around my Tacoma and inside my ice chests, we were sent on our way.

Sounds like he is still at the same job, no promotion after 7 years?!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes, it was July 2015 when the military insopector (highest ranking of the few there) P-nched some floor mat dirt (from the bottom of my shoes) and lit it with a cigarette lighter... smelled it and claimed 'marijuana'... Rediculous, I'm no hippie!

Dk, you need to get out more. These days all types of people smoke dope. Your stereotypes are out of date!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 03:08 PM

It was a joke, don't be so square.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2022 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Okay, how about southbound?

/pedantic.
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Okay, how about southbound?

/pedantic.

From San Ignacio (Km. 73), the checkpoint (Km. 77) is northbound.

[In Baja Ca Sur, the kilometer markers on Hwy. 1 go from south to north. In this section, Km. 0 is Santa Rosalia]

Note how the highway in this area goes mostly west from San Ignacio, when one is northbound:

So if you told someone you were headed south from San Ignacio on hwy 1, what would they think your destination was? Was anyone really confused by the original statement?

[Edited on 12-22-2022 by phmilo]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 10:02 AM

Heading south from San Ignacio would be to Santa Rosalia, Mulegé, Loreto, La Paz, ...

Heading north from San Ignacio would be to the Military inspection, Vizcaino, Guerrero Negro, Ensenada, ...

No worries here... 4x4abc (Harald) is just very technical as a map guy. I am too, so I try to clear the confusion... which often leads to more confusion, LOL!
Merry Christmas!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 11:14 AM

Early sea going sailors went west to go east.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 11:37 AM

No worries here... 4x4abc (Harald) is just very technical as a map guy. I am too, so I try to clear the confusion... which often leads to more confusion, LOL!
Merry Christmas!

If your words are not precise - your thinking will not be precise. Because our thinking is not abstract or digital. We think with our language. We think with words.

As Orwell wrote in 1984: “But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”

Words have meaning, and consequences.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Early sea going sailors went west to go east.

They could, because the world is a sphere! :light:
You can get to the south pole by going over the north, too, and just keep going... :lol:

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 08:28 AM

He went through the list - Marijuana, weed, pot, ganja. Kept asking.

The boys were likely hoping to spark a fatty of nice imported California weed.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.