BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rabies vaccine for humans?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 07:49 PM
Rabies vaccine for humans?

North Baja. Probably the dog that bit me yesterday was healthy - owner said she always tries grabbing somebody,s leg. But who knows... Sunday, currently in S. Quintin. Non-urgent wing in IMSS opens tomorrow, they don,t care that 1st shot should be within 24 hours. Dogs bite on Saturdays, duh.

Medico in my village doesn't have vaccine but was mumbling smth about Secretaria de Salud not allowing shots unless it bit close to the head - well, the knee isn't. Will tell that darn dog was stray, to up the risk. What are the options if they refuse? Any private non-Imss clinic in Ensenada, Tij, that don't care about regulations? Or could they do it as prophylaxis, same shots except for one RIG shot? Crossing the border is not a good option, being Canadian I would have to pay 4K (I think). Even Canadian guidelines say - unknown dog, consult the Dr to assess the risk. So the shot isn't certain even if I drop everything and fly back. Why didn't it bite in Feb when I was planning to go back anyway...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 08:44 PM

Forgot to mention - Mexican dog. They don't bother vaccinating it. Mostly they just bark, but this one went straight for my knee. Very determined.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 08:49 PM

Unless that dog is out of control and biting everybody, I think I would be very reluctant to start a rabies treatment. At the very least though, that dog should be quarantined and observed!

Have there been any cases of rabies in your area in the last year or two? If not, the chances that the dog was infected is extremely small. If you do decide to seek treatment, I hope it is available in Mexico, because I have heard horror stories of US cases costing far more than the $4k you mentioned.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you need very quickly!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
North Baja. Probably the dog that bit me yesterday was healthy - owner said she always tries grabbing somebody,s leg. But who knows... Sunday, currently in S. Quintin. Non-urgent wing in IMSS opens tomorrow, they don,t care that 1st shot should be within 24 hours. Dogs bite on Saturdays, duh.

Medico in my village doesn't have vaccine but was mumbling smth about Secretaria de Salud not allowing shots unless it bit close to the head - well, the knee isn't. Will tell that darn dog was stray, to up the risk. What are the options if they refuse? Any private non-Imss clinic in Ensenada, Tij, that don't care about regulations? Or could they do it as prophylaxis, same shots except for one RIG shot? Crossing the border is not a good option, being Canadian I would have to pay 4K (I think). Even Canadian guidelines say - unknown dog, consult the Dr to assess the risk. So the shot isn't certain even if I drop everything and fly back. Why didn't it bite in Feb when I was planning to go back anyway...

My kid got bit riding his dirt bike on the beach outside of San Carlos in Sonora about 6-7 years ago.

I saw the dog afterwards and it didn't look rabid.

Did a bunch of research that night and decided it was a very, very small risk. He was fine.

[Edited on 1-9-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 10:29 PM

Mexico was declared dog rabies free in 2019. I don't think you have anything to worry about and I wouldn't be getting a rabies shot if I were you. If the dog otherwise acted normal, aside from going after your leg, why would you be concerned about rabies? Have you ever seen how a rabid animal looks and acts? I have. You'd notice.

https://www3.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&vi...

Also you seem to just assume the dog hadn't been vaccinated. Did you ask the owner? If you are just assuming Mexicans don't get their dogs vaccinated, you would be wrong. Plenty of them do.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 05:34 PM

Get medical treatment for the wound. The infection can be serious. My wife ended up in Yuma ER after treatment in San Felipe. That dog had bad stuff on its teeth.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 11:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Get medical treatment for the wound. The infection can be serious. My wife ended up in Yuma ER after treatment in San Felipe. That dog had bad stuff on its teeth.

We cleaned my kid's immediately. Always have a good first aid bag in the truck and boat.

Put a bunch of stuff on it.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 11:53 PM

I've only seen one rabied dog, it was at a toll gate going to Ensenada several years ago. He did not act like a normal dog. Trouble walking for one. I don't remember if he was foaming at the mouth or not. He was just acting weird. The toll gate guy said they thought he had rabies and had sent for a cop to put him down.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 12:34 PM

A follow-up.

Prices: there are 4 shots starting from $450 each in big box pharmacies, plus one Rabies Immunoglobulin shot - available only in hospitals so the service cost is high, total for this RIG is 2-3K but one hospital made headlines charging 40K for RIG alone.

Booked 1st shot in Walgreens in San Diego, but didn't make it because San Quntin IMSS clinic gave it to me for free, I am not IMSS plan member and not a resident. He was reluctant, explaining about superficial wound (it was), and location on the knee where it was unlikely to transfer the virus to the brain. Meanwhile I was explaining about my personal risk factors. We agreed on preventive protocol - same vaccine only 2 doses instead of 4. This gives me a piece of mind and a time to think - whether to run to Canada or not, will see if I locate the dog and it dies within 10 days. It only sheds the virus in the last 10 days before dying. It was not foaming at the mouth or acting weirdly, just bloodthirsty, attacked me as soon as I stepped through the gate. I said it was "on the street" (God forgive me this little lie), so he wrote "dog unprovoked". Preventive protocol doesn't require a bite nut it might be that it requires a payment since I'm not a resident. He refused to give me RIG, saying that situation doesn't seem serious enough to warrant it, but I felt that they had it or could obtain if needed.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 12:39 PM

Hope everything turns out well, and I sure it will.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 09:51 AM

Keeping fingers crossed, dogs can shed the virus for up to 5 days before they develop symptoms, it's day 4 now. I checked, there is indeed a CDC preventive protocol - same vaccine, same schedule, only they stop after the 2nd dose. Well, will stay immune for a few years.

There can also be a non-viral bacteria in the dog mouth, local village Doc gave me an antibiotic for 7 days, makes you feeling weird, antibiotics have this effect.

Young doctors both here fresh after university both here and in San Quintin, mandatory 1 year community work or whatever it's called. Both have spent a lot of of time with me, maybe 30 minutes, a lot of attention, they don't seem to be in a hurry like North of the border.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.