Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Now , apparently fines for livestock on the road
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2023 at 08:31 PM
Now , apparently fines for livestock on the road

According to the Gringo Gazette, in the Los Cabos/Buenavista and other areas , ranchers can now be fined for having livestock on the roads and highways.

While some may applaud this for safety reasons ,I just can't help but wonder how the ranchers could afford this when many of them are barely getting by.
Baja is a ranching state, ranching is intergral to their culture and way of life. The livestock are 'free range" and always have been.
In my humble opinion, if you are going to travel/live in Baja you are ALWAYS on the lookout for cattle, horses, burros ,goats whenever you are on the roads or highways.
This is another slap in the face for locals in the name of tourism.
There goes the neighborhood.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2023 at 09:00 PM

Free range doesn't mean that animals are free to roam wherever. Ranchers who care about their cattle do have fences. A fine is far less $ than having your cow get killed by a car.
You don't think ranchers benefit from tourism? Most of the tourists eat meat.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2023 at 09:20 PM

Surabi,

With all due respect, how many tourists do you think are actually consuming local beef, goat ?

I know many local ranchers and I can say the number is not many, if any.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-22-2023 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
According to the Gringo Gazette, in the Los Cabos/Buenavista and other areas , ranchers can now be fined for having livestock on the roads and highways.

While some may applaud this for safety reasons ,I just can't help but wonder how the ranchers could afford this when many of them are barely getting by.
Baja is a ranching state, ranching is intergral to their culture and way of life. The livestock are 'free range" and always have been.
In my humble opinion, if you are going to travel/live in Baja you are ALWAYS on the lookout for cattle, horses, burros ,goats whenever you are on the roads or highways.

Some areas are free range, especially the remote areas. In other more densely populated areas I see lots of fences intended for livestock. Not all of baja fits your free range libertarian/anarchist ideal. In certain high traffic areas, people really do need to use and maintain fences.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 08:00 AM

Goat
Many areas as you state have fences, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, my point was to fine ranchers who are already struggling does not seem just nor productive. As well, animals escape fences looking for food. Ranching is a long time tradition and means of livelihood for many in Baja and Mexico.

FYI I am neither a libertarian nor anarchist.
Above all, there is no reason to frame and pigeonhole someone's opinion in a political fashion. But that tends to be the modus operandi here , that results in the political mudslinging that characterizes most posted threads.
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 04:04 PM

I disagree that tourists are not consuming local beef. Do you think that beef at local restaurants and grocery stores are being shipped in from somewhere else? When in Baja I eat as much carne asada as I can as it is so good there! Part of this is of course the recipes and chefs there, but I'm sure a big part is local and fresh.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 07:37 AM

My dos centavos: Most of the “free range” livestock roaming the deserts near roads in Baja California Sur is owned by ejiditarios. This puts them under some type federal law protection and or jurisdiction.

Accordingly, the livestock owners are not concerned with what the Gringo Gazette writes. Now if there are new federal laws or directives which have been published in the The Diario Oficial de la Federación then that would be different.

Did the Gringo gazette link their source or reference it on this “according to” moment?

Sidebar: When we farmed in Baja during the 80s and 90s often Ejiditarios would cut our fences surrounding the fields or easier yet just open some gates. They would let their livestock, cows and horses, in to the farm fields to eat the free greens.

By law we were required to have the delegado deal with it. He would ask us for money to pay some wranglers to gather up the invaders then more money to buy hay to feed the livestock in livestock corral jail while he determined who were the owners. It was hilarious in a way and just another lesson in de facto Mexico.

In the end we reached an agreement with the local ejiditarios letting their animals graze the fields after harvest was completed. In the later 90s when the ejidos were allowed to rent and even sell lands everything changed and they policed themselves much better.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2023 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Some areas are free range, especially the remote areas. In other more densely populated areas I see lots of fences intended for livestock. Not all of baja fits your free range libertarian/anarchist ideal. In certain high traffic areas, people really do need to use and maintain fences.

"your free range libertarian/anarchist ideal" --- you must be a very unhappy person to attack someone like that for just stating an opinion. Mellow out man.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2023 at 12:28 AM

In BCS, in the region outside of La Paz and /Cabo, virtually all the meat we get is locally fed meat, cow, goat and pig, and of course local seafood and fresh vegetables. Distribution is coordinated in relation to demand, by request.

The animals require a schedule of veterinary care and their diet varies producing a much higher quality than products that arrive from large distributors in big box stores or chains.

Restaurants make their requests directly to ranchers and fisherman who make deliveries each day. Typically, an individual restaurant would receive a delivery once every 1-2 weeks. You can see the vehicles loading up to the brim making large deliveries daily starting early.

Smaller cars, usually of extended family, will make rounds through the neighborhood to houses at the same time each day, honking a unique horn or whistle, and people look outside and wave or stand at the driveway to receive fresh deliveries for favorite choices, including fresh daily tortillas, breads, treats and ice cream.

The difference in quality of the food distributed in this local manner, and the flavor of the local harvest, as well as the lower cost, versus what one would get typically in cities and north of the border is significant, shocking, unpleasant and unbearable.

[Edited on 1-27-2023 by gnukid]
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-27-2023 at 07:29 AM

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.