Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heading to Mulege
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 11:00 AM
Heading to Mulege

We always stay at the BLM camping just south of Joshua Tree park on Saturday night. The next day we leave early to cross at Mexicali East on Sunday morning. No traffic, or cops. Seems like the entire town has a hangover 😎

Our plan was to drive south and stay at Punta Final to do some kayaking but the wind and rain were crazy so we headed to hills We camped in some boulders out of the weather. Amazing place ! Like a desert garden.

481BE0D2-F503-4203-91DA-98EEC87C24A9.jpeg - 65kB
Baja version of Joshua Tree.

The next day we headed to the Pacific side hoping to get out of the wind. I decided to experiment with a very sandy road out to a remote beach. The locals said I would make it but I would have to keep my momentum going in the deep sand. I aired down a bit to 50 rear and 40 front. A little F350 surfing was required but we got there. Beautiful spot all to ourselves.

3B3717C9-CCF3-44E9-969C-D22C0157E02D.jpeg - 85kB
Nice spot at the end of the road.

3AC88062-D81B-47C2-B6DA-9405C4C1375A.jpeg - 51kB
Why I love Baja ! We use an old 5 gal can for a fire pit. More heat, less smoke and uses less firewood.

B3238881-48C1-48BD-8092-702F893CFF5F.jpeg - 90kB
We moved along a road up a ridge to camp on the bluffs and watch the whales blow.

305471BE-A489-4B28-BC74-EE252414FCCB.jpeg - 66kB
Nice viewing spot at the lighthouse.

The next day we drove down to Mulege. We were happy to see they have finally repaired the road going through Santa Rosellia. I know everyone has their own special town in Baja but for me nothing compares to Mulege!
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 11:33 AM

Looks nice.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  

We moved along a road up a ridge to camp on the bluffs and watch the whales blow.

The coast from the lagoon out to the open ocean (e.g. under the lighthouse) is good paddling. You got a long sea kayak? Had some good kayak surfing several places along that stretch, depending on swell (hard to surf those tank-like sit-on-tops)

Woke!

β€œ...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” β€œMy fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 01:00 PM

That nice spot at the end of the world is where my folks and I had the best surf fishing ever... early 1980s. Croaker, Calico Bass, Halibut and all you could eat, at that. Later, I learned for our late Baja Nomad amigo, Whistler, it was known as "Variety Beach" so I honored him by putting it on my map.

The Kier's fishing on 'Variety Beach' in 1983:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 01:03 PM

I know everyone has their own special town in Baja but for me nothing compares to Mulege!

I feel the same way! I first experienced Mulege in 1986 on a winter road trip from Anchorage. It was my wife and kids first trip to Mexico, and was a slice of the "Old Mexico" that I had experienced years earlier as a single man.

I was there recently, and of all the spots I like visit in Baja, it has changed the least over the years.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 01:31 PM

I will be rigged up for surf fishing next time I am there.

Thanks for the info David
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 02:38 PM

We always stay at the BLM camping just south of Joshua Tree park on Saturday night. The next day we leave early to cross at Mexicali East on Sunday morning. No traffic, or cops. Seems like the entire town has a hangover 😎

Our plan was to drive south and stay at Punta Final to do some kayaking but the wind and rain were crazy so we headed to hills We camped in some boulders out of the weather. Amazing place ! Like a desert garden.

Baja version of Joshua Tree.

The next day we headed to the Pacific side hoping to get out of the wind. I decided to experiment with a very sandy road out to a remote beach. The locals said I would make it but I would have to keep my momentum going in the deep sand. I aired down a bit to 50 rear and 40 front. A little F350 surfing was required but we got there. Beautiful spot all to ourselves.

Nice spot at the end of the road.

Why I love Baja ! We use an old 5 gal can for a fire pit. More heat, less smoke and uses less firewood.

The next day we drove down to Mulege. We were happy to see they have finally repaired the road going through Santa Rosellia. I know everyone has their own special town in Baja but for me nothing compares to Mulege!

Nice πŸ‘πŸΌ
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 02:42 PM

I hope it is still good. On the sand, croaker, Corbina, halibut. Over where the rocks are, calico bass. All are excellent eating! We used cut bait (grunion caught and froze during a midnight grunion run). Mussels, Clams, Squid also work.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 11:59 PM

The beach looks too crowded! :biggrin::biggrin:

Very nice trip report.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.