Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Food in Jesus Maria
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2023 at 10:10 AM
Food in Jesus Maria

On an off road trip next week that will put us in Villia Jesus Maria around lunchtime. I have never tried the taco place at the pemex parking lot. any info on its quality or if its open? Or any other recomendations in Jesus Maria. Looking for a quick bite to keep moving.

thanks
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-23-2023 at 10:14 AM

I have stopped there for gasoline and food, and look forward to doing it again. Who knows if it will be the same quality and service that I enjoyed the next time I pass through there, but it is worth a try!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2023 at 10:26 AM

A look on google earth shows 3 there. 2 nice buildings and 1 plywood structure. The Orange building is the location I remember always being there.. El Viejo Cactus
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2023 at 10:39 AM

I like Paulina's that is across the hwy from pemex. Have had good bfast and lunch there.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

crowbar

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 05:55 AM

The food shop just south of gas station on same side of highway has great tomales.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by crowbar  
The food shop just south of gas station on same side of highway has great tomales.

Agreed.... when they are open!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 08:10 AM

Oh for the days of the 'Tamale Lady.' She had an old pickup truck with a couple of ice chests and home made tamales, wrapped in tinfoil. ummmm good. Just grabbed a couple of warm tamales and down the road, eating with juices coating your steering wheel. glory days.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 12:41 PM
Tamales and cheese

I bought them from a roadside vendor at the junction of highway one and the dirt road that heads north through San Blas. The tamales were warm and tasty, and the wheel of queso fresco was mild and broke into chunks easily.

I put the cheese in a ziplock bag, and it spent a couple of weeks traveling in my ice chest. I have always preferred a stong, ripe cheese, so it was fun tasting the product as it transformed from mild and crumbly to almost gooey and pungent. In my opinion, the last bite was better than the first!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I bought them from a roadside vendor at the junction of highway one and the dirt road that heads north through San Blas. The tamales were warm and tasty, and the wheel of queso fresco was mild and broke into chunks easily.

I put the cheese in a ziplock bag, and it spent a couple of weeks traveling in my ice chest. I have always preferred a stong, ripe cheese, so it was fun tasting the product as it transformed from mild and crumbly to almost gooey and pungent. In my opinion, the last bite was better than the first!

You talking about the road going northeast, at Km. 178, before El Triunfo?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 01:14 PM

Yes David, that was it. I was planning on driving that road, and there just happened to be a couple of ladies selling their goods there that day. They were from a ranch in that area, and they made the cheese they were selling.

I think it was goat cheese, but could be wrong. I saw a lot of goats, and cattle on that drive. I saw quite a few hogs as well, but I don't think "hog cheese" is a thing!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 02:31 PM

pretty much all small food places in Baja are from good to divine
once they get bigger and more established, it is a hit and miss
once they have many tables, the majority is bad

recently a friend recommended a place on the Malecon in La Paz - Los Laureles
the beer was good because they did not make it

any cardboard shack in Jesus Maria is better than Los Laureles

Harald Pietschmann
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2023 at 02:50 PM

Pauline's across the street from the Pemex is really good, when they are open. Nice place, gravel floors

The place N. of the Pemex Kassandra's is good too, not too clean but its good.
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 3-26-2023 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
On an off road trip next week that will put us in Villia Jesus Maria around lunchtime. I have never tried the taco place at the pemex parking lot. any info on its quality or if its open? Or any other recomendations in Jesus Maria. Looking for a quick bite to keep moving.

thanks

The one just north of the Pemex. Same side of the road, same parking lot.
Always stop there for gasolina and a torta. Best torta I've found down here.

I like beer, better than most people.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2023 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  

The one just north of the Pemex. Same side of the road, same parking lot

That is the place I tried. I honestly don't remember what I ordered, but I remember leaving there very pleased that I stopped in for lunch that day!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2023 at 08:29 AM
Food Villa Jesus

I see several places. Have and had ok food at Paulina's, Taquerna, and a temporary place in the trees in front of the Pemex

Food V Jesus.jpg - 134kB
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2023 at 09:39 AM

Always had a good lunch here, friendly people.

IMG_7290.jpg - 95kB

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-27-2023 at 05:21 PM

Isnt that the famous Tamale Lady, Carmelita, that used to sell at the Pemex in Jesus Maria? Sold out of a bucket. Can't remember the vehicle.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2023 at 06:44 PM

A white van.
There are many photos of it and her posted over the years before she passed away. The family kept it going.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.