Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tender Tri-Tip
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 08:01 AM
Tender Tri-Tip

For the past several months I have been experimenting with Tri-Tip beef. This is a basic recipe for very tender meet results.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

With a 3 lb Tri-Tip, you can leave the fat on or take it off, some might like the fat juice for flavor. I rub in Pappy's seasoning. Probably most any good seasoning salt with pepper etc will do. Rub it into and all over the meat.

Place into a glass pan and add 8 oz of water or beer if preferred. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven.

After 30 minutes reduce the heat to 250 degrees and cook for 2 hours.

If the meat is smaller you can cook at 250 for less time, maybe 1 1/2 hrs for a 2 lber.
If larger like a 4 lb cook another 30 min to an hr. The long slow cooking at 250 makes the meat tender.

Enjoy:yes:
Anonymous
Unregistered

thumbup.gif posted on 9-18-2003 at 04:36 PM
TTT Tender Tri Tip

I'm goin' with trying it with the beer and I can't cook anything without a few shots of Bufalo Chipotle sauce too. Thanks for a good/easy way to cook.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 05:22 PM

I lived in Fresno from '94 to '97 and the only good thing I can think of from that time was discovering Tri Tip. I had never heard of it before (living in San Diego). They sell it from corner bbq carts on French rolls, and in restaurants and markets there. 'Santa Maria' style tri tip was the best, with it's great seasoning flavor. Tri Tip is now seen more and more in Southern California menus and meat markets, but not Santa Maria style.

TW or any Central California Nomad, any help with what brand seasoning the meat is marinated in? Auto Hawk lives in Fresno and gave me the number of the Meat Market, where I bought my Santa Maria Tri Tip. Perhaps they can air freight some?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 06:55 PM
Good ol' Fresno.........

I marinated mine in Italian Dressing for several hours, barbequed on medium heat and sliced fairly thin for sandwiches.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 01:35 PM

Trader Joe's recently published a good, quick, marinade. 1 bottle beer, 1 cup soy sauce..I add minced garlic. Really tasty!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 02:08 PM

I've got another fantastic marinade, though not quite as simple, you just throw the ingredients in and taste test till you get it right. It's good on chicken, or pork. You can cook down the leftover marinade in the microwave and serve as a thin gravy over the meat. No need to throw away tasty marinade when any meat germs can just be killed by cooking.

-crushed garlic
-red wine vinegar (or lime juice)
-soy sauce
- honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar

Another good tip I learned off of a kami kazi cook I know, is that you can make your own barbecue sauce easy with all the things that often sit in your fridge or cabinet unused. All you need is to combine the sweet things with the acid, sour or hot. Here's a list of a few things you can throw in a pan and cook on low for 20 minutes to make barbecue sauce.

ketchup
pickle juice (either sweet or dill)
olive juice
brown sugar
chili sauce
chili juice from jalapenos en escabeche
honey, maple syrup, corn sweetener....
lime, lemon, orange juice
soy sauce
tomato puree
fruit juice (or nectar)
vinegar of any kind
onion
powdered onion soup
jamaican jerk seasoning
red pepper flakes
garlic salt
cajun seasoning
old bay

The list can go on as far as your imagination can take you as long as you just remember to ballance the acid, sweet, sour and spicy things against each other.- Stephanie

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 09:22 AM

My wife uses salad dressing like Italian and similiar types. David one of the guys at work makes a real good marinate and when he gets back to work on monday I'll get it from him. Well, if he'll share it with me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 08:42 PM

Thanks TW!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 02:18 PM

I like a dry-rubbed tri-tip, seared on all sides over high heat on the open arbeque, then slow roasted off of direct heat with the bbq closed until it registers the proper temperature for rare beef, and then rested for ten minutes or so under foil. I was told by a guy who cooks tri-tip for hundreds of people at a time that the key is letting the meat rest after cooking and before slicing, so that the cooking process comes to a complete stop and the juices have a chance to redistribute throught the meat. The dripping left in the resting pan are a great au jus or can be used as a gravy base. For the dry rub, I like a combination of California and New Mexico chili powders, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano and cumin. Paul Prudhomme, the New Orleans chef, has a commercial line of rubs that are excellent.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:03 PM

Anybody know what part of the cow tri tip comes from? I always just assumed that it was an inferior cut that the grocery store was trying to pass off with a new name and charge more money for. It didn't look well marbled, so I've never even tried it once. - Stephanie
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:28 PM

TriTip is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. A good web site is.
www.orbeef.org/tritip-brochure.htm
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 12:59 PM

It's not filet mignon, but it is two things people love -- economical and flavorful. Another key to making sure it comes out tender, besides searing, then slow roasting and then resting it after cooking, is to slice it fairly thinly (I like around 3/8 inch or less)across the grain of the meat. If you slice along the grain instead of across it, you'll end up with strips as tough as boot leather. Also, be careful not to overcook.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.