Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Assistance with Residency paperwork
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 11:02 AM

after seeing the chaos at the local IMN office im happy to pay the nice young ladies for their help.....that said I certainly applaud those with command of the language and the patience to go it alone!:D

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

That said, if I have the time, I'll often do things myself as you do, just because I enjoy the social interaction; every stuck-behind-the-desk burrocrat has a personal life and they are usually just as happy to sidetrack as am I.
:light:

Years ago a friend went to get her Mexican driver's license. She brought the paperwork she thought she'd need, but office guy said she also needed to bring in XX. She did the following day, and office guy said good, but you also need to bring in YY.

When she came back for the third time with that, she asked him why he couldn't have just told her everything she needed the first time she came in, he gestured around his office, a small windowless room, and said "Look at this office. I've been working here for 30 years. This is the only fun I get."

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 01:16 PM

Sounds like an endorsement for a facilitator........

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

That said, if I have the time, I'll often do things myself as you do, just because I enjoy the social interaction; every stuck-behind-the-desk burrocrat has a personal life and they are usually just as happy to sidetrack as am I.
:light:

Years ago a friend went to get her Mexican driver's license. She brought the paperwork she thought she'd need, but office guy said she also needed to bring in XX. She did the following day, and office guy said good, but you also need to bring in YY.

When she came back for the third time with that, she asked him why he couldn't have just told her everything she needed the first time she came in, he gestured around his office, a small windowless room, and said "Look at this office. I've been working here for 30 years. This is the only fun I get."

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 09:53 AM

It plays for me on Chrome, no problem, lencho.

I actually saw that video several years ago. It's a really good portrayal of bureaurocratic BS. Filmed in Spain.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 11:04 AM

http.
I don't type in the URL when I access the forum, it's just on my suggested sites list and I click on the icon. But at some point in the past, I googled the forum, clicked on it, and Chrome obviously chose that http URL.

But yes, if I click on the https link you posted above, the video doesn't even appear on your post, just your text.

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by surabi]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 11:43 AM

I'm a real fan of hiring a guide to navigate bureaucracy. I have spent minutes in 90 degree waiting rooms full of sweating people who will be there for hours because they lack a personal relationship with the staff that my guide has cultivated.
Best money I've ever spent.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 12:08 PM

For sure, we hire people all the time to do things that we are capable of doing ourselves, but would prefer not to have to.

One interesting thing about navigating bureaucracy yourself, though, is finding out which entities are efficient, and which are a PITA to deal with.

I once went with a couple of friends to get our Mex. driver's licenses. We also had other stops to make along the way, so when we got to the office, it was closed- their hours ended 15 minutes earlier. But the office had a glass front and we could see everyone at their desks still working. One guy noticed us standing there, came to the door, and asked what we were there for, we said the licenses, but guessed we'd have to come back another day.

But he said "Come in", proceeded to take our info and photos, and we all walked out of there 20 minutes later, new licenses in hand. We were all blown away by how easy it was.

sc-surfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2024 at 05:37 PM

Following up on this for future readers.

We were able to get residency under the amnesty program in December 2023. I do not know if that program was extended. For us it was perfect. No financial documents needed and took us a 1 visit. We did use an attorney and in my opinion was worth every penny. We met others trying to go it alone and having trouble. Took us 5 hours total and we walked out with 4 years on our temporary card. Will come back and convert to permanent when the time comes. Total cost was about $1200 each including the attorney and 4 years on the permit. Considering it took one visit (we had to drive down to Ensenada from the Bay Area) it was worth it. Had we done it alone and had tomato multiple trips it would have easily cost more.

We used H&H Consultorio and highly recommend them. The daughter is the initial contact and she is good. Sometimes a little vague but I think that is likely the language/culture barrier. Her father is the attorney and is great. We were told to be at the office at 8am and on our arrival, he was already there and had gotten us the first spot in the queue for the day. He encouraged us to let him answer any questions which he did. We just smiled and paid the fees when requested. There were no fees paid to him up front which gave me confidence to go ahead and use his services. Worst we would be out would be the trip down. In the end, walking out with our cards was a huge win.

Vanagon Syncro Westfalia
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.