BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting closer to the border...
seapop

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:30 AM
Getting closer to the border...

On my way and a few hours north of L.A. yet.. might reach San Diego tonight or tomorrow..
My question for now is, do you have any recommendations for camping in my Van somewhere close to the TJ border crossing so that I can hit it right away in the morning? thanks

And then for later.... I am traveling alone (two small dogs) and I am a senior retired gent.. camper van, first time in Baja,... According to weather forcasts it looks like the East coast is very hot yet and the west coast is moderate, so I was thinking of driving straight to Encenada and stay for a while and then figure out what to do next.. I am prepared to spend a couple of months in Baja if my energy and prescriptions hold out.
Looking for advice for a nice itinerary, campgrounds, eating places etc. I have a copy of Camping Mexico's Baja, and Baja (Moon).

thanks again
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:55 AM

google search on:

rv camping chula vista

Stay on the West Coast through September unless you like it HOT, then head over to the Sea of Cortez in October, it will start cooling off.

Staying overnight in your RV someplace where you're by yourself is risky in Baja. It is best to stay in RV parks with others around.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:55 AM

overnight at walmart, Palm ave either off the 5 or the 805....have a great trip!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 11:40 AM

Many common prescription meds can be purchased over the counter in Baja so don't let that dictate your return schedule.
seapop

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 11:49 AM

thanks all for your speedy replies..
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 12:08 PM

Have a great trip pop.
seapop

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 01:36 PM

thanks, I'll sure be trying... not new to Mexico but brand new to Baja... will probably looking for advice as I proceed.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 07:30 PM

hola seapop,

in the event you do start to run out of prescriptions, go to costco . i have never had a problem with my six month stays in the east cape.

it has been my understanding by reading on the websites and also the l.a. times that counterfit prescriptions are very common in mexico.

BIEN SALUD,

DA RAT
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
overnight at walmart, Palm ave either off the 5 or the 805....have a great trip!

I thought I saw a video saying Walmart had banned this, but a quick Google search looks like Walmart is ok with it.

[Edited on 9-6-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

seapop

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 08:52 PM

thank you mucho !!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 09:03 AM

Everything you would want to know is online. Too many RV places in Baja to not stay in one.

I don't like TJ or the crossing there. Hadn't crossed in years and decided to cross there. Going South, flagged to secondary, they x-rayed my car, had to empty it, then photographed my 4 bottles of wine and a 6 pack on the sidewalk. Yeah Murphy was messing with my head. Not tempting that crossing again, ever.

Cross Tecate, stay at Portola campground 5 minutes away. Easy and relaxing.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 09:43 AM
Perfect advice!!

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Everything you would want to know is online. Too many RV places in Baja to not stay in one.

I don't like TJ or the crossing there. Hadn't crossed in years and decided to cross there. Going South, flagged to secondary, they x-rayed my car, had to empty it, then photographed my 4 bottles of wine and a 6 pack on the sidewalk. Yeah Murphy was messing with my head. Not tempting that crossing again, ever.

Cross Tecate, stay at Portola campground 5 minutes away. Easy and relaxing.

Portola is our "go to" place coming and going
Safe and comfy, good showers, close to the easy border crossing plus you miss the TJ traffic and the road washouts.

Costco and Walmart are easy and should be safe for all kinds of meds.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2023 at 08:23 PM

Once you head south, I recommend Bahia Asuncion as a stop. Look for Shari at the Bufadora Inn and she will guide you to the right place.

After that, be sure to go to La Bocana, take the long route since you have time on your hands and eat at Martitha's restaurant in vizcaino:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Hotel-Restaurant-Martitha/10...

Once in La Bocana, you can park in front of our small hotel for $10 a night with access to an outside shower and internet. Talk to Nacho/Linda. They live right next door and manage the hotel.

+52 615 107-6954 Spanish only/whatsapp

or email Les at bajabocana@gmail.com

Have fun exploring Baja and Baja California Sur

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.