Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: wilderness survival?
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 09:07 PM
wilderness survival?

I'm posting this here because so many Nomad's are hikers, campers, fishers, aviators, and explorers.

This is a really cool website:
http://www.equipped.org/toc.htm

Knives, signal mirrors, shelter, food, water ... this site discusses it all!

Pretty cool :bounce:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:14 AM

Pretty interesting, thanks

:yes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 08:54 AM

A really great book on survival is Camping & Wilderness Survival by Paul Tawrell. I think it is available from SurvivalBook.com

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 09:54 AM

No offense intended, but that survival site looks like it was prepared by those consummate "Survivalists." He goes hiking in his local area with a Glock? Commons sense and the 10 essentials will take care of most survival occasions (if you ever find yourself in such a position in your lifetime).
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 10:00 AM
Camping with a Glock ?

Ridiculous.

I always carried an M1911 Colt.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 10:20 AM
Wilderone

I'm with you. In all my years of solo backpacking the most dangerous things I ever encountered were my own limitations, and armed human beings.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 10:47 AM

It's the "armed human beings" that worry me, not to mention the Griz in Glacier Natl. Park, etc.. The Rangers in Glacier always carry at least a .41 Magnum when in the back-country (at least they did when I worked there) but God forbid that anybody else arm themselves within the Park.

Go figure.

I NEVER go into the USA boonies without being armed------if anything ever happened and I wasn't armed, how would I explain that to my family? They expect me to be armed.

I am always a tad nervous in Mexico without any protection means.

Vagabundo, you have been lucky IMHO, but that is your choice.

Barry
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 10:49 AM

While we all tend to rely on empirical evidence in these matters, the newspapers contain on a regular basis instances where campers or hikers were killed by bad guys in the wilderness for one reason or another, including the protection of drug crops or labs. Add to that the handful of travellers who are attacked and maimed or killed by bears or wild cats. Those of us in Southern California can attest to the above. In the last few years there have been a number of animal attacks on hikers/bikers and only a few years ago there was a German Tourist family in the Idyllwild area who were murdered by robbers while hiking.

Those are FACTS, but personally I am in favor of Liberals not being armed while in the wilderness because it improves the odds that their crop will be culled.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 03:45 PM

Now THAT is Scary !

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.