BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is a Honda Ridgeline a good Baja rig?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-2-2023 at 10:11 AM
Is a Honda Ridgeline a good Baja rig?

I need to replace my aging Trooper, and there is a Honda near me that looks like it might be a useful ride for me (and my dog). I really don't know much about them, so I am looking for an opinion from someone who has at least second hand knowledge about their performance.

I really don't need a "rock crawler", but off-road performance is more important than highway matters. It will also need to work hauling tools and materials when I am home.

[Edited on 11-2-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2023 at 10:35 AM

Personally I would shy away from an awd vehicle without a proper transfer case.
YouTube it.There are lots of videos/comparisons

[Edited on 11-2-2023 by chippy]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2023 at 11:57 AM

I love the Ridgeline. I once drove a friend's from San Diego to cabo san lucas.
Super comfortable with in my opinion unmatched ergonomics.
Plenty of power. Not to mention the very inconspicuous storage in a compartment under the bed floor. I think the year model was +/- 2009
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2023 at 05:11 PM

How is a Honda Ridgeline (truck bed) comparable to an Isuzu Trooper (Wagon/SUV)?

They are both great Japanese brands but different types of rigs.

As mentioned above, it is an AWD not 4WD, is it not?
AWD may not (usually do not) have a low range. Check and see. Low range is so valuable in worse-case off road situations. It makes the vehicle 'stronger' so it can pull or climb when needed... It also give great downgrade 'engine' braking.

Do you now need a truck bed? Having a wagon/SUV sure keeps your gear dust-free.

The Ridgeline is uni-body (like the Subaru BRAT or Baja and Hyundai Santa Cruz, etc.) and not a true truck. This matters when you need to carry a heavy load.

Finally, seriously look for a Toyota product. The Amigos de Baja (before there was a Baja Nomad) heavily pushed me to a Tacoma, when I was truck shopping, in 2000. Neal Johns was the strongest advocate and so were many others who had Tacomas (jeans, bajaboy, Mexitron, etc. etc.) and none were unhappy. They saved me from getting a Ford Ranger! Even Doug 'Baja Nomad' has a Tacoma!

The build quality and 4WD system is just super strong with great resale value. That's why they cost more to buy, because they will cost you less to own!

I have now had three Tacomas, each with over 100,000 miles (the first two Tacomas in less than five years). The third Tacoma is my last vehicle, a 2010 with only 136,000 miles. Once I retired, I was no longer driving 100+ miles a day running my business and sadly not going to Baja as often, except for my Baja Bound Road Guide mapping and research trips (2017 & 2018).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2023 at 07:38 PM

I say go for it!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 06:26 AM

Honda ridgeline should be fine for typical unpaved roads, beaches, etc. the AWDs usually have a feature where you can turn off traction control, turn off TC when stuck, trying to extricate yourself from sand, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 07:22 AM

Think tow hooks front and rear. Also I don't think they recommend towing in any all wheel drive rigs. I just bought a 2021 Rav4 and there are no tow points. Seems dumb to have an off road rig with out tow hookup. Good luck with your car hunt. It can try you. Youtube is a good place to find out info.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 07:54 AM

Russ, the RAV4 won't get stuck 😉, thus no tow hooks! They are handy to pull others out. The Tacoma has them for that reason.

Traction control helps prevent stucks by limiting tire spin, which only digs you in. Power is kept on tires that have traction where you need it.

Now, in mud or snow, spinning tires can help you get through and that is when traction control turned off can help. Not sure what systems the RAV4 have, but the Off Road TRD Tacoma 4x4 has several options and can crawl up, through, and over almost anything. I have yet to get stuck, and I have tried! I have pulled stuck 2WD Tacomas!

[Edited on 11-3-2023 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 08:05 AM

In doing mild offroading I have never gotten stuck. You have to be pretty stupid to get stuck. if it looks bad, stop and walk. easy decision.
the few times i have been stuck in snow, a few people helping push has done the trick to break free.
tow hooks are so rarely needed, really should be the last thing you worry about on a car.

edit: thinking back, i have been stuck a few times in sand. got myself out on my own by turning off traction control, throwing chit under the tire, getting friends to push..., no need for tow hook!

[Edited on 11-3-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 09:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I don't know anyone who has even ridden in a Ridgeline, so your input helps.

I love my Trooper, it is the best compromise I have found between comfort, utility, and off-road capability. I am sure I would love a Tacoma or 4runner, but my Trooper was half the price with half the miles on it when I bought it. I would keep it if it wasn't for the fact that Isuzu does not support replacement parts for the transmission.

I will probably continue to abuse my Trooper locally, but from a reliability, and fuel economy standpoint, the Honda would probably be a better choice.

[Edited on 11-6-2023 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2023 at 07:01 PM

I think that a ridge-line would be a good choice for you. the way you explain your use. it has a great v6. plenty to pull your trailer, and its a Honda. every bit as good as a rav4, with a better engine.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-4-2023 at 04:50 PM

The Ridgeline is an excellent vehicle if you don't need better off road performance. The question is pretty simple: How often in your Baja travels have you used low range in your current and past vehicles? If you needed it then you will need it now.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2023 at 05:55 PM

I use low range quite often, and not just in Baja. I wonder if the dealer in Reno would let take their Honda out in the desert for a test drive?

I was shopping for a mid-size, short-bed, extended cab truck when I spotted the Ridgeback. I am sure I would enjoy the ride, but it might not do what I want off-road.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 09:30 AM

See if the Ridgeline* has a traction system like Subaru, that will let just one tire get power while braking up to three others that don't have traction. This is what Toyota's A-TRAC and MTS does, but Subaru is AWD and thus, no low range.
*thank to Chippy for the correction! LOL

[Edited on 11-5-2023 by David K]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
See if the Ridgeback has a traction system like Subaru, that will let just one tire get power while braking up to three others that don't have traction. This is what Toyota's A-TRAC and MTS does, but Subaru is AWD and thus, no low range.

Ridgeback:lol::lol::lol:0 I
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 12:13 PM

Good one, I am not a Honda expert and that was an easy to make slip-up, Ridgeback/ Ridgeline! Are they not the same topographic feature?
Thanks!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 01:46 PM

My dog identifies as a Ridgeback! (a cross between the Great Dane and African wild dogs)

[Edited on 11-5-2023 by AKgringo]

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 03:08 PM

Though I know little about the Ridgeline, there are appear to be some serious drawbacks for use in Baja. There are few Ridgelines in Baja, new or used parts won't be readily available and few mechanics will have the knowledge or special tools. AWD should not be confused with more capable 4WD. Unibody construction (vs body-on-frame) and the transverse mounted engine is a minus in my opinion. The Ridgeline was designed primarily for highway manners and comfort and all-weather/snow road conditions.

Sounds like a Toyota Tacoma is what you really need. But, I get it, they are ridiculously expensive, and used Tacomas seem to have high miles.

Have you considered a Ford Ranger extended cab or a Sport Trac (4 door)? 4WD, body-on-frame, enough of power with the 4.0L V6, comfortable on highway, enough headroom if you are tall. Ubiquitous in Baja with new or used parts available, incl. tires and wheel lug pattern. Any local mechanic should be able to work on it and locate parts.

Used, about half the price of a Tacoma. I got a Sport Trac with 65k miles for $5K. The bed is shorter than a Tacoma, but tailgate-down, it is no problem to haul sheets of plywood or a dirtbike or quad. Fuel economy isn't great by today's standards, but that's partly my fault as I'm heavy on the throttle. Ground clearance is fair, so it is not a rock crawler.

I changed out the OEM body-to-frame bushings for aftermarket urethane and added Bilstein shocks. Turned the front torsions up just a little and installed an ad-a-leaf to the rear. The Ford 8.8" rear differential is strong; available with a limited slip rear diff. For $5K and another $500 in parts, it does the job nicely for my lighter/faster trips and dirt roads when I don't want to take my heavy gas hog 4x4 E350 van.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 04:07 PM

Quote "Have you considered a Ford Ranger extended cab or a Sport Trac (4 door)?"

I have considered both of those Fords. The older Ranger is a bit too cramped inside for my needs. I checked out a Sport Trac and think it would be a fun rig, but the one I found near me had 240k miles on it, and I did not like the way the transmission felt.

One advantage of Unibody construction is that they usually have a lower overall weight, which sometimes matters.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-6-2023 at 12:19 PM

if you'll wait a couple years the toyota Champ will be available in mexico and will have a 4x4 version, absolutely bare bones no frills super affordable outfit it as you wish.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45752401/toyotas-10000...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.