Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Close Call
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 07:21 AM
Close Call

Several years ago I’m driving south from Cataviña in the early morning. Maybe an hour out I see a pickup off to the side of the road also headed south. A woman is standing beside it and looking distressed. Her truck’s rear end and shell are badly caved in and a massive truck tire is laying on the ground. I stopped. She told me she had just opened the rear gate to get water for her dog. Just as she stepped aside, an 18 wheeler came roaring down the grade and lost a tire that rolled into her truck just missing her and the dog, and I believe, certain death. I could see, not far away, the semi had stopped. The driver obviously knew what happened. I waved for him to return but he drove on.
I tied off what I could of the rear gate and shell door. Her truck was drivable so I said good-bye. I tried to catch the semi but it was long gone. Later that day I see the gal on the street in G Negro and ask her how she’s doing. She says her accident report and insurance claim was denied because the accident happened in BC and not BCS. So she has to file in Ensenada!?. Was a while ago and I often wonder how it turned out for that gal.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
She says her accident report and insurance claim was denied because the accident happened in BC and not BCS. So she has to file in Ensenada!?.

I've never heard of anything like that. I had an accident just above Catavina and my insurance company HDI asked me to continue on and file my claim with their agenyt in GN rather than waiting for someone from SQ.

In Memory of E-57
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
She says her accident report and insurance claim was denied because the accident happened in BC and not BCS. So she has to file in Ensenada!?.

I've never heard of anything like that. I had an accident just above Catavina and my insurance company HDI asked me to continue on and file my claim with their agenyt in GN rather than waiting for someone from SQ.

I would assume that's the way it works. I can only relate what the lady said at the time. This was about 25 years ago?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 11:57 AM

Who buys insurance for only the southern half of Baja? What company does that? All the reputable companies, even 25 years ago, cover either NW Mexico or all of Mexico.

I guess it would be great if that story had an ending for you. It actually vaguely sounds familiar. Was it discussed on Amigos de Baja? What year was that trip, 1997 or 98? Graham was walking with Misión the burro.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Who buys insurance for only the southern half of Baja? What company does that? All the reputable companies, even 25 years ago, cover either NW Mexico or all of Mexico.

I guess it would be great if that story had an ending for you. It actually vaguely sounds familiar. Was it discussed on Amigos de Baja? What year was that trip, 1997 or 98? Graham was walking with Misión the burro.

It was 1997 or 98. Conjuring up my 83 yr old brain cells; it may be that the gal told me she could not file a police hit and run report because it happened in another state. The insurance would have been in force.
Just goes to show that disaster or death may be just around the corner every day. I've had close calls during my life. In private life and in the military.
Merry Christmas David.:D

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 08:58 PM

Merry Christmas, Marc!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.