Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fire in Todos Santos
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2023 at 03:23 PM
Fire in Todos Santos

BCS Noticias reports a fire in the palm groves surrounding Todos Santos. According to the article, arson is suspected.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-30-2023 at 04:07 PM

Unlike the trees where I live, the palms will probably sprout new tops while the undergrowth will be thinned out for a few years.

Any word on structures lost?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2023 at 06:08 PM

The articles I read said the fire was contained pretty quickly, no damage to any structures were reported, and they apparently caught the arsonists.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2023 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
The articles I read said the fire was contained pretty quickly, no damage to any structures were reported, and they apparently caught the arsonists.

That's my understanding too. In general, Bomberos in Mexico are poorly paid to do a tough job, but some expats in Todos Santos have tried to raise funds to bridge the gap. Why this fire was started is anyone's guess.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2023 at 01:36 PM

Reported 12/28: A bit of a scare hit Todos Santos recently when not one, but two fires broke out in the palm trees area. It all started just before 7:00 pm on a Wednesday, quickly turning a calm evening into a race against time. As soon as the first report hit the fire department, the response was swift and efficient.

Firefighters, along with civil protection units, were on the scene in no time. They were faced with two fires, alarmingly close to each other. It was a tense situation, with the potential for significant damage. But thanks to the quick action and skill of the responders, both fires were under control by around 10:00 pm.

In a twist to the tale, La Paz Mayor has indicated that two individuals were responsible for starting these fires. The search is on, as police are now on the lookout for them. It’s a reminder of the importance of fire safety and vigilance, especially in areas prone to wildfires.

It’s fortunate that the situation was contained quickly, and a huge shoutout is due to the firefighters and civil protection units for their brave and speedy response
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 12:33 PM

A good case for choosing a roof type other than palapa
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 12:54 PM

the news story/infomercial...
https://thecabosun.com/fires-affecting-this-popular-magic-to...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
A good case for choosing a roof type other than palapa

I had seen too many palapa fires to want any palapa roofs when I had my house built.

One palapa fire that started from an electrical line that was touching the palapa was so hot that when it burnt, including the supporting posts catching fire, the second story floor underneath it, which was built out of thick styrofoam covered in cement, also caught fire, melted all the styrofoam (you can imagine the toxic fumes), which then collapsed into the first floor.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
the news story/infomercial...
https://thecabosun.com/fires-affecting-this-popular-magic-to...

You've got to love snippets like "The magical town of Todos Santos, touted by some as this corner of Mexico’s answer to Tulum..."

towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2024 at 10:54 PM

I was pulling into town just after 7 PM that day, road was blocked off in both directions and the bomberos were working to put the fire out. They had several fire trucks on scene and quite a few other police vehicles to deal with traffic. It was clear they were doing everything they could to quickly contain the fire and prevent it from spreading. Credit to the crews doing tough work using water trucks.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2024 at 09:29 AM

Thank goodness they managed to put it out fast!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.