Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mex 1
BoenBaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 10:50 AM
Mex 1

Pretty rough road conditions from just north of Jesus Maria all the way up to Punta Prieta. Some real bad (deep too) potholes along this stretch.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 10:56 AM

When it rains, it pots!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-17-2024 at 10:42 AM

That area is famous for big potholes. I drive slow and in the middle to dodge as many as I can.
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2024 at 03:50 PM

Returned to San Diego this past Monday.The above mentioned stretch has gotten really bad. Its been getting worse and worse with no sight of any road crews. Been through it three times in the past year and its now worse than "the old days" LOL. Good tires and day light driving highly recommended.
Also, some random extra deep potholes in otherwise smooth surfaces, including Mex 5.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2024 at 03:58 PM

When I drove south through there a couple of weeks ago, I got behind several trucks doing 15 to 20 mph for long distances rather than trying to dodge the holes. Trying to pass them through those potholes didn't seem like a good idea!

I think I will go ahead and take the dirt road from Vizcaino to B.D.L.A. on the way north. I would rather air down a bit and enjoy the scenery than deal with trucks and traffic on a bad road!

Has anyone reading this driven that road lately?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-19-2024 at 09:32 AM

AK

Went from Bahia out to the junction to San Francisquito in late Jan and the road was about as good as I've ever seen it. Did the exact route you describe in early March. It was a little sandier in the wash for a few miles before San Rafael than I've ever seen but fine.

The new go around just north of San Rafael at the end of the estuary where the road crosses it was super sandy but very short, like 75 feet, but I'm sure it's fine now.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2024 at 12:15 PM

Bajazly, thanks for the feedback! The last time I drove it was after tropical storm Kay re-arranged things. I had fun, but it was not for all vehicles back then.

I am primarily checking it out for a long time Baja traveler back home who has never taken that route. He has a fairly heavy cab-over on a GM dually, which means that airing down is not a good idea for more than a short distance.

The stretch northeast of Rancho Piedra Blanca will be interesting. The banks that the road used to be on were gone, leaving a whole lot of sandy arroyo as the main road. If that is still the case, it would probably be a no go for a heavy camper.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2024 at 04:46 PM

Another successful winter in BCS is over. We'll be driving north Tuesday. I'm glad I have a new set of expensive Michelins (not low profile) on the SUV.

Sounds like the pothole situation is exceptionally bad north of GN.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2024 at 05:38 PM

They named it jesus maria! For a reason
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2024 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
They named it jesus maria! For a reason

Great answer!! 😄

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.