Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FMM collected on land crossing
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2024 at 08:26 AM
FMM collected on land crossing

This was a first for me in almost 50 years of crossings. I came back north through CBX on Saturday, and I had a Mexican official ask to see my passport just shortly after the turnstiles for CBX. That was unusual in itself, but then she asked for and collected my FMM. I didn't recognize her uniform patch and the print was too small to read, but she wasn't INM. Maybe their National Guard but the uniform was different from what I see them wearing in La Paz.

I have no idea if they are starting to do this anywhere else. I'm just sharing my experience because it was something new for me.

In Memory of E-57
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2024 at 09:31 AM

Was it random, or were people queued up and everyone was asked to see passport, hand over FMM?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2024 at 08:09 AM

They asked everyone for their documentation. I showed my passport and I use my FMM to mark the photo page. When I started to put it back away she indicated she wanted my FMM.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-3-2024 at 08:35 AM

So they are enforcing a one visit per FMM policy instead of multiple visits over the 180 days?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
So they are enforcing a one visit per FMM policy instead of multiple visits over the 180 days?

I don't think that is what is happening. The CBX has never accepted 180 day FMMs. If you show up with one, they'll direct you to the kiosk to get a new FMM with the specific dates of your trip, and you'll have to pay again. Remember, CBX is only allowed if you have plane tickets and a boarding pass, so your travel dates are known.

I've had my FMM collected once that I can remember. My guess is that the guy saw it in the passport and thought, "Hey I think I'm supposed to collect it, and since it's right there and now no longer valid, I'll grab it and throw it in the trash for the guy." Of course, this is a big assumption.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I don't think that is what is happening. The CBX has never accepted 180 day FMMs. If you show up with one, they'll direct you to the kiosk to get a new FMM with the specific dates of your trip, and you'll have to pay again. Remember, CBX is only allowed if you have plane tickets and a boarding pass, so your travel dates are known.

I have flown via cbx on one way tickets and asked for and received 180 day fmms.
Makes sense they dont honor fmms for repeat xings, since that is the law, and cbx employees follow law since they are a pvt firm operating under govt license and got eyeballs on them.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 05:08 AM

That’s interesting because I just flew in and out of Cabo and no fmn form, you just get a stamp and they write 180.

Maybe I need to look closer but I don’t recall any mark to invalidate that at departure.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 09:56 AM

Flying is different from entering at a land border. They did away with the FMM forms and have been stamping passports at most airports for about 2 years now.
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Makes sense they dont honor fmms for repeat xings, since that is the law, and cbx employees follow law since they are a pvt firm operating under govt license and got eyeballs on them.

I don't have a government source, but here is what Baja Bound has to say about multiple entries to Baja California:

"Is it possible to enter and exit Baja multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?

Yes. The INM delegate for Baja California Norte announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now multiple entry for land travel in Baja California Norte only."
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 11:24 AM

Things can change in 9 years.
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Things can change in 9 years.

Baja Bound says that info was updated on March 29, 2023.

Also, I've asked the agents the last couple times I bought a 180 day FMM in Mexicali. They told me it was good for multiple entries as well. This is all anecdotal, I know.

Here's what really matters, you will rarely get asked for your FMM. I've only heard about it when crossing to Baja Sur. When you drive North across the border they won't collect it. So sure, you can throw it away and buy a new one, or you can just continue to use the one you have in your possession until it expires. We can argue all day about this, but for those of us who cross the border a dozen times or more a year, we don't even think twice about the FMM if the dates are valid.

[Edited on 4-5-2024 by BeachSeeker]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 12:01 PM

While Baja Norte INM may have decided to create its own rules, the wording on the back of the FMM form has always said that the FMM is only valid for the duration of your stay. Meaning once you exit the country, your "stay" is over. (I don't have a spare form around, as I always fly now, so I can't quote the exact wording)

And I found out years ago that Baja Norte customs officials are not necessarily up to date on the federal customs regulations, I guess because BN is a free zone.
I had recently become a permanent resident, and as such, had to get my Canadian-plated car out of the country, as PRs can't drive a foreign-plated vehicle. I live on the mainland but haad taken the ferry to Baja and crossed at Tecate. I needed to get my TIP sticker removed and a receipt showing the vehicle had been taken out. They kept telling me no, I could just drive out.

I had to explain the regs about PRs not being allowed
to drive a foreign plated vehicle to the head Customs official. He asked me "Where did you hear that?" (Everyone on the mainland was well aware of it)
I tapped the Customs logo on his shirt and said, "From your jefe in Mexico City".

[Edited on 4-5-2024 by surabi]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
This was a first for me in almost 50 years of crossings. I came back north through CBX on Saturday, and I had a Mexican official ask to see my passport just shortly after the turnstiles for CBX. That was unusual in itself, but then she asked for and collected my FMM.

Isn't CBX used by airline passengers? Air travel and land crossing rules, as far as FMMs are concerned, differ for some strange reason. I haven't flown in a long time but my FMM was collected in the Mex airport the last time I flew from Mex to the US.

[Edited on 4-5-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2024 at 04:31 PM

You don't specify how long "a long time" is, but up until a couple of years ago, FMMs were used for air as well as land travel. Then they started phasing in the "stamped passport only" and phasing out the FMMs, starting with the major airports. Not sure if all Mexican airports have now done away with the FMMs.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.