Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 11:24 AM
Planted drugs at check point

Just read about this on talk Baja.
Reportedly happened at San Ignacio.
Says he was forced to delete pictures at gun
Point. Also on bloody decks someone was
Asked to empty all pockets at the same check
Point. In 40 years I’ve never experienced this.
Has anyone here?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 11:28 AM

Ask David K about the checkpoint at San Ignacio.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 11:36 AM

LOL... yes, the "marijuana" bud on my floormat the checkpoint guy ignited with his cigarette lighter! That was a hoot... I think telling him we slept at Ricardo's Rice and Beans motel is what they got excited about??? July 2015.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 8-18-2018 at 11:44 AM
Beware at check points, Bad Experience

I'm forwarding this notice by request and hope you all will watch carefully as you are stopped.
Homeowners and Residents of Punta Chivato,
I am writing this letter after a very scary situation occurred to Don Arnold and I on our trip driving to Loreto to fish the Finale of the Dorado Tournament series. On August 8 we were stopped and moved to Secondary Inspection at the Federal check station just outside of San Ignacio. During the search before being sent to Secondary checking the soldier said and I quote “You Americans are bad. You bring drugs into our country and hurt our children.” Also said and I quote what Don Arnold told me, “American’s are bad people”. It got worse from there. As they were searching our bags and going through our stuff,, I walked around to the Driver’s side where another Federal officer was standing. I saw him reach into his left cargo pocket, pull out a small packet of about 3” square and put it under my seat. I approached and said what did you just put in my truck. He picked the packet out and said, “you brought Cannabis into our Country”. “That is very bad. We will have to call the police. “ He then tried to hand me the packet. I refused to accept and said you planted that in my truck. The leader of the two came over and further threatened Don and I. We stated that it was not ours we were not transporting any drugs and that Don was a former police officer in Canada and I was a teacher in Idaho. That we were going to a fishing tournament and did not transport drugs nor had either of us ever. I also said I was President of the Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato. They then continued to check our truck and generally try to intimidate us. I took their photos and asked to call my consulate. They then raised weapons and forced me to delete the photos while they watched. They then said we could go but not to bring drugs again.

We left shaken. I called our Attorney Nadia and left a message and had Ann on speed dial to call the consulate if we got stopped and searched again at any of the other check stations. It was very concerning.

The rest of the trip went smoothly. We did have one other unusual thing happen. At the Gonzaga Bay check the Federal check person asked to look in the back and said, Are you guys transporting Marijuana. We said no and drove away.

I am reporting this to our members. Here are my recommendations. Do not leave any search unattended. They may plant something to harass you. Watch there every move as they go through your vehicle and tell your co travelers out loud with everything you see. For some reason the federal check people are mad at Americans. I’m not making any inferences about why. Please be aware and watch closely.

Concerned for our safety,

Mike Bowers
President Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato

There have also been a couple others from PC that have been treated rudely or have had items missing after this stop so be aware.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:22 PM

The author, Mike's interpretation of the incident is that "They may plant something to harass you. ...For some reason the federal check people are mad at Americans."
My interpretation is that they are not mad at gringos. Those words were part of the con scheme. The planting of drugs by law enforcement is a very old and frequently used scheme to extract mordida. They were hoping to get hundreds of dollars or get the vehicle. Gringos are often easy marks for shakedowns.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:23 PM

Find the story hard to believe.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:26 PM

Are they just going to let this go or report it? I know the following link goes to a Baja California, not a BCS, website but they probably can explain the proper reporting procedure for BCS.

https://www.bajanorte.com/en/assistance-078/

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Do not leave any search unattended. They may plant something to harass you. Watch there every move as they go through your vehicle

That is the one vulnerable spot to be in while traveling by yourself.
Imagine 'first time Joe Tourist', not having experience nor
the savy to deal with this, as if any of us would casually
brush this off, already having reservations
about Mex, but after reading
rose colored often misleading info,
that driving the Peninsula is without problems, if he was to face this,
his wallet along with anything of valued be voluntarily handed
over.
Not sure doubting info from Russ is going to get
you where you want to go

[Edited on 8-18-2018 by sancho]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:45 PM

This week I went through checkpoints 5 times (Ojos Negros, El Chinero x2, Gonzaga x2). I was either waved through or had a very friendly and short exchange. No inside search at all, having at least one search is common for me.

It is a shame San Ignacio has now had multiple false charges put upon us turistas.

Maybe the local business people should confront the comandante?

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Has anyone here?

Post not on tb anymore? Couldn't find it. I think the page owner deletes the negative stories. Stories must be peace, live, fish tacos, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 02:21 PM

Concerning Checkpoints, I've had all good ( by myself) and a couple bad ( with a pot-head friend ).

By myself, I always treat then with much respect and start a friendly and humors conversation with the Guy's.
Most of the time I offer them water.
I've even offered and they accepted shots of my Don Julio I had with me.
Another time gave then Dog treats I had a Guy that had 9 dogs.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 02:41 PM

This is terrible and there are lots of options to take action.

1. contact a newspaper and have them write an article or possibly interview folks further down the road.

2. There is a complaint phone number listed at the military stop. Call and file a formal complaint.

3. Write a letter to the governor. They are promoting tourism and this is simply unacceptable.

4. Someone once posted a name and phone number of a person to contact when such situations occurred??? It was quite a while ago when the mordidas were rampant in CC.

This all could simply be a reaction to all the brouhaha in the States with people separated from their children, illegals being deported etc. but it is not OK.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Royosbaja

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 02:58 PM

Came through that checkpoint last Wednesday heading north, (from Punta Chivato even), and I must say, we have never had such a detailed search. Every bag was opened, every compartment was gone through, every zipper unzipped and then zipped.
My wife speaks Spanish and was talking with the gentleman that was NOT doing the searching, he told her to go to the back and watch "him."

I was doing enough watching for the both of us, jajajaja.

When done, they sent us on our way.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 04:11 PM

Same spot......San Ignacio. just a few days ago.

South bound......most comprehensive search I have ever had in 20 some odd years on that highway.......

Including a first EVER......ordered me to empty my pants pockets out on the front seat of my truck.

Thumbed through my passport book, played with swimbaits from a clear plastic Plano box in the towed aluminum boat and questioned me about a short handled gaff in the boat.

Rummaged through my shave bag....ok fine....but brings out a small pair of folding scissors and looks them over......they are not a gun buddy ok?

I don't mind the search for drugs and guns......but I told the guy (I speak Spanish) he won't find any drugs or guns in my passport pages , nor in that clear Plano tackle box, nor any hidden firearm in the gaff, nor in a pair of scissors.

It was hot.......the flies were thick......I was a tad upset.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 04:21 PM

DaliDali, thanks for the report. Did they ask for your passport? FMM or whatever? Car registration?

Sounds like they have a gnarley commander at that stop.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 04:22 PM

I have friends coming south. I will advise! They have always been, on occasion, more difficult: dick heads. I will advise mis Amigos. Thanks. Tio
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
DaliDali, thanks for the report. Did they ask for your passport? FMM or whatever? Car registration?

Sounds like they have a gnarley commander at that stop.

Never asked me for any of those.
Best I can understand it all, that is not their job to perform immigration or other law enforcement functions.
Sure they can do what they will.......being armed to the teeth and all.

I did notice, at least southbound, there is now a video cam in place just before where one stops.
It had a small solar panel and backed up with a trailered generator.
Gun/drug smuggling hot spot?

S/B Loreto checkpoint a few hours later......waved me through.....just a wave.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Has anyone here?

Post not on tb anymore? Couldn't find it. I think the page owner deletes the negative stories. Stories must be peace, live, fish tacos, eh?

The page owner is Ron, BajaGringo here... and Ralph (rts...) controls posts there, too. Ther are other Nomads who moderate it too.

It could be the typical Facebook issue that posts disappear down somewhere if no activity, which makes finding post near impossible?

Just like here, the posts slide downward if no activity. If you are not facebook challenged, you can use the search function, just like here. The post is there but Ron turned off commenting because "We have a policy here of not sharing uncorroborated 3rd hand information containing accusations that don't even carry the names of the people making the report.". Stops all the BS like we see here sometimes.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 05:47 PM

Pretty sure it is that check point. They had a notebook and wrote everyone's names in the truck down in it. Wrote down our license plate.

Didn't ask for passports or anything. This was November or December last year.

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
8-18-2018 at 06:20 PM
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 06:24 PM

My worst ever experience was with the Guerrero Negro Northbound checkpoint. They went through EVERYTHING I owned, but no harassment like Mike experienced!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.